New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried everything to set it to the highest, but kept dropping out of BI. Not sure why. I suspect my connection. Only real explanation. 15fps seems to be the sweet spot. Waiting on another range extender to see if that will improve it. I also have a synology, but I'm debating on whether I should spend the $$ on yet another license for the camera. I may come back to you for synology setup. lol
What version of BI are you using? A user told me that BI5 supports ONVIF. You could try it, but you need to upgrade to hikvision's fw. Try it before upgrading the repeater. As you can see, bandwidth requirements for the camera, even at full frame and resolution is low, so if the signal is ok it should not be a problem. If you have s ynology you don't have costs: SSS on NAS has 2 device license included, so you can use it for the doorbell. Even with Synology, I highly recommend ONVIF interface, but it works in RTSP too, with less functionalities, less integration.

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK!
Just put in my mechanical chime....and it works. Someone might want to make a note, the NUTONE LA600WH IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the ezviz db1, despite what ezviz claims.
However, the Heath Zenith SL-27102-02
is fully compatible.
Thanks to all that contributed with suggestions, especially Alexdelprete.
Happy camper now.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Super long and informative thread on these doorbells. Forum threads are often filoed with issues and problems as forums are the place to turn to if they occur. For the ones that have had this doorbell for a while what is the long term verdict? Is it day to day problem free once it is set up? Is it stable? Do you reccomed it if so why/why not? Are there better alternatves out there?
No issues once you well understand how it works. Highly recommended product, IMHO.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You guys have some pretty awesome syrups yourselves...but probably not a good maple one in comparison, agreed. lol
I especially like some of your limoncello...excellent.
I'm from Naples, limoncello is made near my city. But the best maple syrup is canadian, from what I have been able to taste in my life. :)

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm from Naples, limoncello is made near my city. But the best maple syrup is canadian, from what I have been able to taste in my life. :)
Too bad I didn't know that last year. I could have dropped some off in Bari, last August. Was there for 10 days...!

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agreed. What makes it truly excellent is this forum and all the helpful members. I believe that's what separates it from other doorbells.
And that is why I won't change doorbell unless all active participants of this thread, expecially 2-3 that have become friends, don't decide to get the same new doorbell so we can start a new thread. :D

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK!
Just put in my mechanical chime....and it works. Someone might want to make a note, the NUTONE LA600WH IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the ezviz db1, despite what ezviz claims.
However, the Heath Zenith SL-27102-02
is fully compatible.
Thanks to all that contributed with suggestions, especially Alexdelprete.
Happy camper now.
Glad to read that it's working. :)

Now let's fix your low fps/BI issue...

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What version of BI are you using? A user told me that BI5 supports ONVIF. You could try it, but you need to upgrade to hikvision's fw. Try it before upgrading the repeater. As you can see, bandwidth requirements for the camera, even at full frame and resolution is low, so if the signal is ok it should not be a problem. If you have s ynology you don't have costs: SSS on NAS has 2 device license included, so you can use it for the doorbell. Even with Synology, I highly recommend ONVIF interface, but it works in RTSP too, with less functionalities, less integration.
I'm using BI5. I read your instructions for putting on hikvision firmware but I found it kind of scary. I like the idea of onvif, and I may take the plunge if BI keeps crapping out the db all the time on the higher settings, but I'm kind of scared and a little inexperienced, as we have seen.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using BI5. I read your instructions for putting on hikvision firmware but I found it kind of scary. I like the idea of onvif, and I may take the plunge if BI keeps crapping out the db all the time on the higher settings, but I'm kind of scared and a little inexperienced, as we have seen.
Don't be scared, the guide is more difficult to read than executing it. And we're here to help if necessary. :)

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't be scared, the guide is more difficult to read than executing it. And we're here to help if necessary. :)
So far so good on your I-frame settings...lets give it a day and see. Not fixing what isn't broke is plan A1. lol
Boning my firmware is plan Z-99. haha

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So far so good on your I-frame settings...lets give it a day and see. Not fixing what isn't broke is plan A1. lol
Boning my firmware is plan Z-99. haha
It's a low-cost doorbell, even if you brick it (and it rarely happens), you can easily solve the issue, expecially if it's under warranty. ;)

No risk, no reward...and with all the info you have and the support, the risk is really low.

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a low-cost doorbell, even if you brick it (and it rarely happens), you can easily solve the issue, expecially if it's under warranty. ;)

No risk, no reward...and with all the info you have and the support, the risk is really low.
Dude, I'm so technically stupid, I don't even UNDERSTAND part of your guide. lol I see we have the same ezviz, though

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, that would explain it. lol
Also it's behind a steel door and a large mirror on my front closet. An electrician told me mirrors block signals? Not at all surprised if a steel door does, too!
Rule of thumb: The I-Frame interval should match the fps rate. Some NVRs suggest I-Frame interval to be 2*FPS. It depends on the hw, the codec, the network and the result you look for (quality vs resources).

A steel door??? The doorbell or the repeater? :oops:

Crazy stuff...

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dude, I'm so technically stupid, I don't even UNDERSTAND part of your guide. lol I see we have the same ezviz, though
Well, that's why you put wifi devices behind steel doors. :)

Call a techy friend for some basic advices, and DON'T TRY MY GUIDE for any reason!! :lmao: