New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rule of thumb: The I-Frame interval should match the fps rate.

A steel door??? The doorbell or the repeater? :oops:

Crazy stuff...
There's a steel door AND a mirror between the repeater and the router. I get 100 signal but only on a 2.4 wifi network. If these had cat-6 connections instead of wifi, It'd be way better lol

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, that's why you put wifi devices behind steel doors. :)

Call a techy friend for some basic advices, and DON'T TRY MY GUIDE for any reason!! :lmao:
I don't have any choice. I'm not going to remodel my front entrance for a $130 doorbell, believe me. lol
DON'T WORRY, I won't try your guide without someone holding my hand. It's martian to me anyways.:confused:
Good tip about synology giving two free licenses though. Thanks, but I used up my two free SSS licenses years ago. I have about 16 cameras all over my house and quite a few are licensed. My backup to blue iris.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have any choice. I'm not going to remodel my front entrance for a $130 doorbell, believe me. lol
DON'T WORRY, I won't try your guide without someone holding my hand. It's martian to me anyways.:confused:
Good tip about synology giving two free licenses though. Thanks, but I used up my two free SSS licenses years ago. I have about 16 cameras all over my house and quite a few are licensed. My backup to blue iris.
Can I see a picture of the entrance with the doorbell installed? Just curious...:)

You have 2 cameras on SSS and 14 on BI? I thought you had everything on BI, that's why I told you you had 2 free on the NAS.

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can I see a picture of the entrance with the doorbell installed? Just curious...:)

You have 2 cameras on SSS and 14 on BI? I thought you had everything on BI, that's why I told you you had 2 free on the NAS.
I have about 5 camera on SSS and 16 on BI. I believe in redundancy when it comes to surveillance lol I just use SSS as a backup, I find BI easier to browse, playback, etc.
Pictures? You want me to WORK now..? Aw, come on man...! lol
Take my word, it's a stupid setup.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's a steel door AND a mirror between the repeater and the router. I get 100 signal but only on a 2.4 wifi network. If these had cat-6 connections instead of wifi, It'd be way better lol
You can use a mesh network, and you can cable the mesh nodes with cat6. So you can actually bypass the mirror+steeldoor in that way, if needed.

1600291230491.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have about 5 camera on SSS and 16 on BI. I believe in redundancy when it comes to surveillance lol I just use SSS as a backup, I find BI easier to browse, playback, etc.
Pictures? You want me to WORK now..? Aw, come on man...! lol
Take my word, it's a stupid setup.
5 and 16 is not redundancy. :)

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tried everything to set it to the highest, but kept dropping out of BI. Not sure why. I suspect my connection. Only real explanation. 15fps seems to be the sweet spot. Waiting on another range extender to see if that will improve it. I also have a synology, but I'm debating on whether I should spend the $$ on yet another license for the camera. I may come back to you for synology setup. lol
Don’t use range extenders, because they will decrease connection speed. Use wired Access Points or a Mesh setup.

damarfi

n3wb
Reaction score
I already asked for help but no solution yet for me.. I moved from Hikvision to EZVIZ (have 5 other EZVIZ cams in house) and stacked in first step setting doorbell with EZVIZ app. Got msg that SSID is not right (posted screenshot here).. When I changed in Batch configuration to sopftap setting in app stuck after 90% and say wrong password (I changed password as well in Batch setting) ... My question is why ask for SSID softap when I changed in Batch configuration app to EZVIZ. (after resetting voice on dorrbell ask me to use EZVIZ app to register doorbell)..

Is anything I can do? Is anything I have to erase in memory to make my doorbell 100% EZVIZ?

Thank you

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a wee query about the firmware and app connectivity of my db1. Does any of the apps allow a local connection or do they all go through the external servers? I downloaded the hik-connect app thinking that may happen after I have registered the device and then removed it from ezviz's app. Also, I'm on ezviz fm 200220 (latest). If not, I understand. (kinda wish a doorbells like this just had compatability with jitsi..)

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

RogerFar

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded my EZVIZ to the latest HKVision firmware but now the framerate is abysmal. When watching straight in VLC it reports 22fps, but I can see the second counter hanging for about 2-3 seconds before moving to the next frame.

Blue Iris has the same issue, any way to debug this? High CPU usage?

gudmundurg

n3wb
Reaction score
Finally got some more time to look at this.

Doesn't matter, they're more or less the same, few differences in the initial configuration process. But try EZVIZ app on android, just in case...
I tried that. It is much more intuitive, allows more settings for network config and so on. Different from the one on IOS and different from Guarding Vision on android.
However, that did not finish the config. Same behavior where doorbell announces "wifi connected" and "platform configuration successful" but the phone times out in the second phase

Adding IP manually doesn't solve the problem. But it tells us that the doorbell correctly joined the WLAN. If the app finds it adding it via IP manually it should find it automatically after it joined the wlan. Now that the doorbell has joined the WLAN, when you run the wizard again, it should skip many steps and bring you directly to the last steps, did you try running the wizard again? What does it do?
Running the wizard again from the beginning, by scanning the qr code gives me the message: "Operation failed. The device is not supported"

It shouldn't. Did you try resetting the camera via the specific hardware button? Just to be sure the camera is in a known initialized state.
Yes. I do that every time I run the wizard.

The camera joins the WLAN, and you can ping it, so the 2.4/5ghz is not the issue. I have the same config, 2.4/5ghz with one SSID. Do you have a firewall for outbound internet traffic? Is it blocking the doorbell? Did you try to allow all traffic from the doorbell to internet with a specific rule?
I've tried to add just the same ports as the upnp configured for the doorbell. That did not work.
Then I tried to open all ports 200-12973, 12975-65354 (12974 is reserved for vpn on the Orbi) - this did not change anything.
I even found myself starting to capture all lan/wan packages and starting to sift through it in Wireshark - but didn't really know what I was looking for. Saw a bunch of communication back and forth to addresses in China.
Since the Android ezviz app looked promising I went trough a few tests again.
I tried again to turn off 5g.
I tried moving the router literally 2m from the doorbell as per the recommendations in the app, and turning off the satellite wifi.
I tried turning of my synology box since that had some ports open on the fw.
I turned off all the sonos speakers since my Fing box listed one of the sonos and the doorbell on the same IP address - which we know can't be.
For each of those eliminations I tried to run the Ezviz on Android with the same results.

The only positive thing about all of this is that I got myself some Paulaner Oktoberfest beer which helped me keep my patience.
So I'm open for more suggestions.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The only positive thing about all of this is that I got myself some Paulaner Oktoberfest beer which helped me keep my patience.
So I'm open for more suggestions.
All those tests make no sense, it's just desperation.

Last suggestions:

1. Go to a friend's house, with a pluggable 24V transformer, reset the doorbell and configure it on his wifi with an android mobile phone. If it works, you know it's your home wifi devices that won't let your mobile connect to the doorbell like it should.
2. If point 1 doesn't work, throw it away, and get a NEW Ezviz DB1.
3. If you don't like point 2, send it to me and I'll tell you if point 2 is necessary. Will send it back with a beer. :)

Let me know.