New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did - do you think I ought to try using the Guarding Vision app to reconfigure it? Is that app able to configure the doorbell?
It is, but I wanted you to try ezviz. you did.

DId you measure voltages in normal conditions and when pressing the button? We must be sure that the doorbell is activating electrically.

If you see nothing, then you should RMA it.

grampadeal

n3wb
Reaction score
It is, but I wanted you to try ezviz. you did.

DId you measure voltages in normal conditions and when pressing the button? We must be sure that the doorbell is activating electrically.

If you see nothing, then you should RMA it.
Gotcha.

The voltage measures at 0V at the chime across the Front and Trans screws and doesn't change when the doorbell button is pressed. At the doorbell itself, it measures 17V across the doorbell wires.

My suspicion is the doorbell isn't closing the circuit on the chime, so the hammers don't get the voltage they need (they're not getting any) so the chime doesn't actuate.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gotcha.

The voltage measures at 0V at the chime across the Front and Trans screws and doesn't change when the doorbell button is pressed. At the doorbell itself, it measures 17V across the doorbell wires.

My suspicion is the doorbell isn't closing the circuit on the chime, so the hammers don't get the voltage they need (they're not getting any) so the chime doesn't actuate.
If you are sure about the wiring and connection of the power-kit, you should RMA it. If you bought an officially supported chime, you have to raise a support request and they must answer asking you to troubleshoot things. After you've completed all troubleshooting they will propose the RMA.

grampadeal

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are sure about the wiring and connection of the power-kit, you should RMA it. If you bought an officially supported chime, you have to raise a support request and they must answer asking you to troubleshoot things. After you've completed all troubleshooting they will propose the RMA.
Thanks, I have an open support thread with them and I have reached back out to them, I think we're moving in the RMA direction. I'm hoping that solves the issue. I appreciate your help!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Gotcha.

Did you measure it in AC voltage?

Just curious because I am having an issue where the chime is no longer working here too. They blame it on powerkit and shipping me a new powerkit so we will see.

grampadeal

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I measured the voltage in VAC, most doorbells operate on alternating current in the US.

I suggested the power kit to them as well when I initially reported the issue to EZVIZ tech support, they shipped me a new one but the problem remains. I don't think it's an issue with the power kit. I believe it to either be a software or hardware issue with the doorbell itself that is preventing a voltage from being applied to the chime, causing it to ring.

Everything else in the system works fine, I get motion detection events, I can do 2-way voice calls with the doorbell, I can open its RTSP stream (I have it connected to my Home Assistant server), it just won't ring the chime. And if it's removed from the system, both my old Nutone LB12 chime (original to the house) and the new Heath Zenith SL-2796 ring when the doorbell wires are shorted. It's definitely a doorbell issue.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
This doorbell has an AC/DC converter, it operates on DC internally. I also tried powering it with 12v DC: it works fine. :)
Yes but I think the chime need to be powered by AC for it to ring and the camera doorbell need to be powered all the time to operate.

That where powerkit supposedly to come in by providing a continuing power to the doorbell when the circuit is broken (analog doorbell not pressed) then for a second or two when the button is pressed the powerkit is suppose to allow the circuit to close (complete circuit) at the chime instead of bypassing it to keep the camera doorbell powered. This is my theory so I can be wrong about this.

My issue is the chime hammer seems to be powered all the time now. If I take the wire off the chime, the hammer will drop down to resting position and when I put the wire back on the hammer will rise up slightly right before the sound bar and just stay there if there is a small amount of power still continuing to feed the magnetic coil around the hammer.

It was working fine for like 4-5 months then just stopped working for me.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am still waiting on tech to send me a new powerkit .. When I asked how much more longer before I get it .. They said this virus thingie is delaying everything for them so it would be some time before I get my powerkit replacement ..

grampadeal

n3wb
Reaction score
I sent them my invoice on 9/24 after they determined the power kit may be the issue, they then mailed the power kit to me on 10/6 and I had it by 10/9.

As noted, though, it didn't fix anything since I believe the issue to reside with the doorbell firmware or hardware.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes but I think the chime need to be powered by AC for it to ring and the camera doorbell need to be powered all the time to operate.

That where powerkit supposedly to come in by providing a continuing power to the doorbell when the circuit is broken (analog doorbell not pressed) then for a second or two when the button is pressed the powerkit is suppose to allow the circuit to close (complete circuit) at the chime instead of bypassing it to keep the camera doorbell powered. This is my theory so I can be wrong about this.
Yes but it can convert to AC in output. Didn't try it because I don't have a traditional chime, but I think it'll work.

The power-kit is a sort of voltage regulator. Even if you don't have a chime, it's needed. As you know, I use sensors instead of the chime, and without the power-kit installed they don't work.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I sent them my invoice on 9/24 after they determined the power kit may be the issue, they then mailed the power kit to me on 10/6 and I had it by 10/9.

As noted, though, it didn't fix anything since I believe the issue to reside with the doorbell firmware or hardware.
If you think it's the firmware, try an alternative firmware (hikvision). You can always go back. You'll find the procedure in my signature.

If it still doesn't work after the fw upgrade, then you're pretty sure it's a hw issue.

Diabolic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue, my chime worked for some time then stopped suddenly.
I am now not having my chime work out of the blue and it was working. I'm going to try to get replacement power kit first and see what that does. As with the rest of you my camera is working properly.

rayt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its not the power kit, i have a spare camera around and i replaced the power kit. my chime still doesn't work
i guess many people are having the chimes stop working out of the blue
i have a ezviz installed, previously running laview firmware, tried hikvision firmware, chime still doesnt work
i have a laview camera sitting around, will try to run that tomorrow and see if this works.