New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nelly’s db cam and it’s gone flashing blue again, happened 3x now. The only way I’ve been able to fix it is to reset and setup new. Should I be concerned and or start looking for a replacement?
Did anything change on your WiFi?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Something is resetting it...probably ONVIF...try this...

The DB just goes to AP mode (Ad-Hoc mode). Log in to it in client mode. (use original configuration password) You should be seeing the AP SSID.

You do not need to use your phone to fix this as you will see the SSID from any computer on your network. You have to use batch configuration to do this though.

Once you log in to it with Batch Configuration check the configs and it should be all the same and change the DB from AP mode to client mode. You settings should be there.

My two admin accounts and passwords remained intact.

I saw this issue when using the ONVIF-MQTT plugin and BI ONVIF and switched to BI RTSP.

The BI server is on one W2016 of two servers running on a Lenova M93A with a Gb NIC and a Wireless card. I just turn on the WLAN and connect to the doorbell via WiFi and Batch Configuration.

Last edited:

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Something is resetting it...probably ONVIF...try this...

The DB just goes to AP mode (Ad-Hoc mode). Log in to it in client mode. (use original configuration password) You should be seeing the AP SSID.

You do not need to use your phone to fix this as you will see the SSID from any computer on your network. You have to use batch configuration to do this though.

Once you log in to it with Batch Configuration check the configs and it should be all the same and change the DB from AP mode to client mode. You settings should be there.

My two admin accounts and passwords remained intact.

I saw this issue when using the ONVIF-MQTT plugin and BI ONVIF and switched to BI RTSP.

The BI server is on one W2016 of two servers running on a Lenova M93A with a Gb NIC and a Wireless card. I just turn on the WLAN and connect to the doorbell via WiFi and Batch Configuration.
Thanks, I’ll take a look.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
What your thoughts on the new v5 EZVIZ app?

I liked the "day" fast forward feature

Dasbooter

n3wb
Reaction score

Most important:
1 - admin access
2 - validate RTSP and ONVIF connectivity
3 - remove and disconnect DB from cloud app

For MQTT stuff here always utilize MQTT explorer.
Doorbell installed and functioning.
I have the older version of batch tool ready to go and read the 101
I've read many things now on the 338 or so pages.
Is there anything I should do in the RCA app before I attempt to flash to hikvision 5.2.4 200321 version such as framerate, logo removal, chime settings, PIR sensitivity settings, anything else you can think of?
The wife is a very much stereo typical apple user so suggestions on best app for her to use as I think that I understand that with new firmware you can still use any of the apps?
edit: What is the SSID I should be setting the AP to for HIKVISION firmware?

Once I'm done setting up it looks like motioneye is a full integration in home assistant now so I will see if once I've got onvif how far I can get with that and emulating a sort of google assistant functionality.

Edit 1:Yikes!! I bricked solid red light! but recovered with one of the methods from the 101. I will try to pick up where I left off after the flash. Im not sure what is even running on the doorbell right now but its flashing blue and saying please connect.

Edit2: I have connected to the doorbell using the older version of batch config and the hikvision firmware is currently displayed. There seems to be a few inconsistencies in Alexepetes step by step or I am misinterpreting his instructions so I will wait for further direction and somebody will come back here. I am not sure I comprehend alexepetes instruction on connecting to the doorbells access point but I have connected to the doorbell access point with the accesspoints prefix in my case is softap and then underscore and my 6 digit password on the bell/booklet so for me it was: softap_mysixletterpasswordhere.

Now Im unsure of the directions. Do I now change the ssid to the type of app I want to use? Should I be using the HIKVSION app and what would the example be for that SSID change?

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Once connected to the DB via the DB AP mode and logged in with Batch Configuration...

Change the admin password and add another admin user and password or just add another user if you want to keep what you already have configured.

Using Batch Configuration configure the SSID of your choice (home ssid and pw) and configure a static IP versus DHCP.

Once rebooted in client mode then you will be able to access the DB via RTSP and ONVIF.

Then if you want to install a cloud app on iOS or Android just add the camera manually to the app in the cloud.

Dasbooter

n3wb
Reaction score
Once connected to the DB via the DB AP mode and logged in with Batch Configuration...

Change the admin password and add another admin user and password or just add another user if you want to keep what you already have configured.

Using Batch Configuration configure the SSID of your choice (home ssid and pw) and configure a static IP versus DHCP.

Once rebooted in client mode then you will be able to access the DB via RTSP and ONVIF.

Then if you want to install a cloud app on iOS or Android just add the camera manually to the app in the cloud.
Sorry in the 101 it says not to change a password:

⦁ DO NOT change the admin Password in iVMS-4200 or Batch Config. Tool. We found when loading the Batch Configuration Tool for the first time and your Doorbell is Discovered, it will show as "not activated" under security (IGNORE THIS), DO NOT Click the Activate Button. It will force you to set a NEW admin Password on your device (Doorbell) which for most Hikvision Cameras would be a normal process but in this case it disrupts future re-inclusions/configuration through the Mobile Apps. Once done, it is not reversible and cannot be Reset either by Factory Settings Reset or Firmware Reload. - rafale, rafale, - Mtoo22 (Hikvision Partner) Note: digdoug has had a different experience, his DB's password Reset back to it's original password.
Are you talking about a different password?

In any case I could not get the hikvision app to work and it wouldn't connect the doorbell to my wifi network. I ended up kind of bumbling through batchconfig and selecting my wifi and giving it the password and it connected to my wifi. I also Changed the SSID to the EZVIZ prefix and connected the EZVIZ app which added the camera immediately since it was already in client mode(manage mode) and not in Adhoc.

I have activated ONVIF using the tab at the top and made a user and password. I can pull the RTSP feed into MOTIONEYE but I am not sure that means ONVIF is activated. I am now like everybody else in terms of presence detection and trying to find the most useful for me. I dont really know enough about ONVIF. I will go back and see what people have done but I know you used the ONVIF mqtt addon for HA and the newer ONVIF addon.
Does the ONVIF HA addon provide for some kind of event triggering or does it simply make it easier to get a camera up and running?

Motion detection options to trigger actions (as I see them).
1)MOTIONEYE - simple to get going with the new integration (I hope) but more work for my NAS(home made synology system) which is running HASSIO as VM
2)Onboard Camera events using the HIKVISION firmware and I'm not sure how to get HA to utilize this events
3)Some sort of ONVIF event thingy that I dont know anything about
4)Another PIR sensor which I would like to avoid

Actually using the doorbell being rung as an action in HA
1)Door/Window sensor on chime
2)Some kind of tasker notification recognition from extra phone running ezviz app and send event to HA

Unfortunately I dont think I can free myself totally of the cloud b/c my wife will want to use the app ... she is truly an APPLE type user

I noticed at the bottom of batchconfig that it says security is activated and I'm sure I didn't do that as the 101 instructed.
Is that going to be a problem?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Understood. The 101 FAQ relates to using the DB with the cloud app. Modifying the firmware / taking it off the cloud can be treacherous and you can brick you DB.

Yes here took the DB off of the cloud (no apps) when upgrading from the Nelly firmware to the Hikvision firmware and changed the admin password and added another admin user.

Once you configure your DB with your phone it becomes connected and managed by the cloud server even if you have your phone off and personally I did not want that.

That said many or most of the smart phone apps now will update your firmware.

Recently reinstalled the LaView Android app on my phone and it did connect right way just to test it and then removed it.

Here not tethered to any of my 5 T-Mobile SIM cards, phones are typically off. I have a deal with T-Mobile that if someone calls a cell phone that is off user gets a disconnected message.

Yes and an added user.

You can check it for ONVIF using the Linux/Windows ONVIF application. It does work except it locks up occassionally.

ONVIF PIR triggers do work for me but they were too sensitive and I could not adjust them right with the original Android app and or Batch Configuration.

Here no package delivery folks ring the doorbell these days (Amazon, FedEx, UPS or USPS). The motion detection is what rings the doorbell and creates events.

Guessing it is now an invasion of the privacy of the delivery folks. I had this issue in the early 2000's post 911 installing cameras everywhere. Issues with privacy relating to job site monitoring. Facial recognition is a big issue now a days just like finger printing was in the 1930's.

Too much motion (false triggers) from the built in PIR was very low on the WAF.

So here went with a small outdoor on the front porch 433Mhz PIR facing the doorbell. (the PIR talks to a Tasmota Sonoff 433Mhz MQTT hub).

In the old house in the early 2000's used an Optex combo camera PIR (wired) facing the front door from the side and Geophone sensors adjacent to the cement walk from the driveway to the front door. Much easier now a days except that I prefer wired over wireless sensors and cameras.

I use it for JPG captures here to my OmniPro 2 alarm touch screen and HA stills. You can test that too typing:

hxxp:/ipofvideodoorbell/onvif/snapshot.jpg

The newer batch configuration program doesn't allow you to enable ONVIF.

ONVIF device manager for Windows lets you see the ONVIF configuration.

With this I can do RTSP, ONVIF and JPG captures. If using the cloud app the app itself will make changes to your configuration on your DB.

I do VPN to my home with my Android phone and run a Hikvision app on the phone which directly connects to my camera where I can see motion events recorded et al. I see the cloud features on the app and do not have any of it configured.

Last edited:

Dasbooter

n3wb
Reaction score
Understood. The 101 FAQ relates to using the DB with the cloud app. Modifying the firmware / taking it off the cloud can be treacherous and you can brick you DB.

Yes here took the DB off of the cloud (no apps) when upgrading from the Nelly firmware to the Hikvision firmware and changed the admin password and added another admin user.

Once you configure your DB with your phone it becomes connected and managed by the cloud server even if you have your phone off and personally I did not want that.

That said many or most of the smart phone apps now will update your firmware.

Recently reinstalled the LaView Android app on my phone and it did connect right way just to test it and then removed it.

Here not tethered to any of my 5 T-Mobile SIM cards, phones are typically off. I have a deal with T-Mobile that if someone calls a cell phone that is off user gets a disconnected message.

Yes and an added user.
I admire your dedication to privacy and security.
Unfortunately the wife will require the use of the apple phone app so I guess I will have to not change the default password. I may try to implement your solutions with VLANS but she doesn't tolerate alot of tinkering and I dont have a good router here yet
Its weird that its mentioned in the 101 that it may not be reversible in terms of the admin password.
You can check it for ONVIF using the Linux/Windows ONVIF application. It does work except it locks up occassionally.

ONVIF PIR triggers do work for me but they were too sensitive and I could not adjust them right with the original Android app and or Batch Configuration.

Here no package delivery folks ring the doorbell these days (Amazon, FedEx, UPS or USPS). The motion detection is what rings the doorbell and creates events.

Guessing it is now an invasion of the privacy of the delivery folks. I had this issue in the early 2000's post 911 installing cameras everywhere. Issues with privacy relating to job site monitoring. Facial recognition is a big issue now a days just like finger printing was in the 1930's.

Too much motion (false triggers) from the built in PIR was very low on the WAF.

So here went with a small outdoor on the front porch 433Mhz PIR facing the doorbell. (the PIR talks to a Tasmota Sonoff 433Mhz MQTT hub).

In the old house in the early 2000's used an Optex combo camera PIR (wired) facing the front door from the side and Geophone sensors adjacent to the cement walk from the driveway to the front door. Much easier now a days except that I prefer wired over wireless sensors and cameras.

I use it for JPG captures here to my OmniPro 2 alarm touch screen and HA stills. You can test that too typing:

hxxp:/ipofvideodoorbell/onvif/snapshot.jpg

The newer batch configuration program doesn't allow you to enable ONVIF.

ONVIF device manager for Windows lets you see the ONVIF configuration.

With this I can do RTSP, ONVIF and JPG captures. If using the cloud app the app itself will make changes to your configuration on your DB.

I do VPN to my home with my Android phone and run a Hikvision app on the phone which directly connects to my camera where I can see motion events recorded et al. I see the cloud features on the app and do not have any of it configured.
The windows app locks up or the camera itself?
Should I have implemented a user/password with the onvif creation?
The camera on the lowest sensitivity setting for me actually has been pretty good which may have to do with LOS for my property
What do you get from HA with the ONVIF integration? A sensor with an on/off State?
Can I just switch to a 5 GHZ ap(one is quite close) in batch config without reflashing back to RCA firmare?
Thanks for the delivery person info. They still ring the doobell here but now it has a big glowing light and camera so maybe they wont lol

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Understood.

It is many times all related to the WAF. Here wife wouldn't touch security touchscreens or automation touchscreens for fear that she will debend the house.

@David L runs the LaView App / firmware doorbell and on his phones while concurrently connecting to Blue Iris and it works for him using RTSP.

The ONVIF app locks up.

I think though the cloud app uses ONVIF to talk to your doorbell such that if you make changes to your doorbell with the ONVIF app the changes will revert back to the cloud configuration stuff.

What do you get from HA with the ONVIF integration? A sensor with an on/off State?

This and I do not use it much these days for automation triggers.

HikvisionDB.jpg

Video motion algorithms are better but not really good for outside. Best to use hard sensors outide. Here used combo hardwired Optex combo cameras with PIRs. There is 6 wires connected. 2 for PIR, 2 for night dark switch and 2 for tamper switch plus power to the camera and PIR board.

The ONVIF to MQTT PIR plugin appeared to reboot/reset my DB sometimes so I quit using it. Also stick to using 2.4Ghz rather than 5Ghz for your DB.

Last edited:

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are integrating into home assistant, I would recommend using frigate over any of the built-in motion sensing. It does AI detection and is very accurate and fast with a google coral. It uses MQTT to create a counter, motion sensors and snapshots of the detections.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are integrating into home assistant, I would recommend using frigate over any of the built-in motion sensing. It does AI detection and is very accurate and fast with a google coral. It uses MQTT to create a counter, motion sensors and snapshots of the detections.
Frigate looks interesting, been using Deepstack through Blue Iris. So Google Coral runs locally, no cloud service, correct? I have read it is fast...

Dasbooter

n3wb
Reaction score
Understood.

It is many times all related to the WAF. Here wife wouldn't touch security touchscreens or automation touchscreens for fear that she will debend the house.

@David L runs the LaView App / firmware doorbell and on his phones while concurrently connecting to Blue Iris and it works for him using RTSP.

The ONVIF app locks up.

I think though the cloud app uses ONVIF to talk to your doorbell such that if you make changes to your doorbell with the ONVIF app the changes will revert back to the cloud configuration stuff.

This and I do not use it much these days for automation triggers.

View attachment 106477

Video motion algorithms are better but not really good for outside. Best to use hard sensors outide. Here used combo hardwired Optex combo cameras with PIRs. There is 6 wires connected. 2 for PIR, 2 for night dark switch and 2 for tamper switch plus power to the camera and PIR board.

The ONVIF to MQTT PIR plugin appeared to reboot/reset my DB sometimes so I quit using it. Also stick to using 2.4Ghz rather than 5Ghz for your DB.
ok on the 2.4 ghz
video motion algorithm in motioneye is what I suspect your suggesting to use instead of onboard hikvision. My FOV for the doorbell is pretty binary if you know what I mean so it might work out but who knows with wind and changing angle of the sun with the seasons? I would like to avoid more sensors.

If only I had so much time to learn a new piece of hardware and frigate. Very cool stuff what option did you pick for the hardware (version of coral)?

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Frigate looks interesting, been using Deepstack through Blue Iris. So Google Coral runs locally, no cloud service, correct? I have read it is fast...
Yup, all local and done on the coral stick. Basically does the same thing as deepstack but live and with less overhead needed as the AI is running on purpose-built silicone. You can also run it without the coral as they are kinda hard to come by right now but with coral is so much quicker.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ok on the 2.4 ghz
video motion algorithm in motioneye is what I suspect your suggesting to use instead of onboard hikvision. My FOV for the doorbell is pretty binary if you know what I mean so it might work out but who knows with wind and changing angle of the sun with the seasons? I would like to avoid more sensors.

If only I had so much time to learn a new piece of hardware and frigate. Very cool stuff what option did you pick for the hardware (version of coral)?
It's running on my hassos box a I3 nuc with the google coral. The good news is there isn't much to learn about the hardware. The google coral is just it, it doesn't require any config outside of frigate. It does one thing and only that one thing and that is object recogonition.

Last edited:

Dasbooter

n3wb
Reaction score
It's running on my hassos box a I3 nuc with the google coral. The good news is there isn't much to learn about the hardware. The google coral is just it, it doesn't require any config outside of frigate. It does one thing and only that one thing and that is object recogonition.
Sorry let me qualify
What version of Google Coral did you get the usb stick the board etc

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry let me qualify
What version of Google Coral did you get the usb stick the board etc
Oh sorry, I am using the USB because I am using the nuc and wasn't sure on the whole m.2 A+E key stuff and knew the USB would work. Ultimately they are all the same minus the dual versions or the crazy asus boards with 8 or 16 of them on board which is complete overkill for any home install.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Duh987

Reading your stuff thinking maybe of testing Frigate on the Zoneminder box which is running Ubuntu 20.04 these days. Been using Zoneminder for many years now.

Running BI on same hardware with Windows 2016.

Goodbye Zoneminder

Or would it be better to install it on my combo Ubuntu HA / Homeseer box and Windows embedded VB box? I am still using Microsoft SAPI for speech and now have added Alexa speech (mixing the two).

Last edited: