New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For those wanting to use the NBD313W with Alexa found a an Alexa skill that works great with RTSP cameras.

I've been testing some new "el cheapo" 4-5 MP smart cams with it. Works great.

hxxps://monoclecam.com/

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just switched over to the ndb313W from the Ring Doorbell and ONVIF works fine with Firmware V5.2.4 Build 190412.
Thank You, this group was looking for this answer, if ONVIF worked with Nelly's...Where we were a bit lost was with the lower 190412 build number compared to LaView's 190716 build number, which is when they added ONVIF.

Chad has a great post where he found a newer build 190625, see message #888

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would it be beneficial to go to a 16 VAC transformer instead of using the 24 VAC transformer?
Many people replaced their old transformers with this one Edwards Signaling 598 120V 8/16/24V 30W Transformer, it seems to be a popular transformer, I assume due to being able to use 16VA or 24VA, it is great for testing plus is handles up to 30 Watt loads (which is great for this Doorbell and a Mech. Chime)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. I ended up writing some C++ code with the Hikvision API to grab a frame and to edit the camera parameters. For example, I turn on/off and change the WDR value in the morning and the evening via my code and MQTT through Home Assistant. I can also get motion events through the API without using ONVIF. It's fairly well documented, and I just modified a few of the example code bits they included with the SDK (SDK - Download - Hikvision). Working well so far!
I like this alot, being able to switch WDR On/Off for Dust/Dawn, great idea, love that you wrote a routine for this.
Home Assistant is on my list of many to-do's, wanting to break away from SmartThings.
Great Job...might bug you one day for your C++ code :)

On another note, I am excited for the newer version of the Konnected alarm system I use, Nate introduced an Ethernet port with POE...I want to get Home Assistant up and running for this newer version.

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I like this alot, being able to switch WDR On/Off for Dust/Dawn, great idea, love that you wrote a routine for this.
Home Assistant is on my list of many to-do's, wanting to break away from SmartThings.
Great Job...might bug you one day for your C++ code :)
Would be happy to share it. It's just a slight modification of the example code they give in the SDK to capture a jpeg, and the code to alter the camera parameters is pretty simple too.

I still wonder why Hikvision disabled the jpeg snapshot URL on this particular model. I've found that at night, the jpeg file sizes get pretty large for some reason (darkness+noise?) and the API call to capture a jpeg occasionally hangs for a bit and then returns an error. It's probably a memory issue on the camera, perhaps a leak or just insufficient memory. I am running full resolution, but I'll do some more tests this week at night with varying resolution/quality settings to see if the hang/error goes away.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the Laview version on order and plan to integrate it with Home Assistant for realtime person/face detection with Tensorflow, Facebox, and a Google Coral USB accelerator.
Did you get all of this working together? I may have some Home Assistant questions for you in the future once I setup HA, for my first time :) I am always behind, running last place on all of this :) Funny but at the time I installed my Konnected alarm system, little over a year ago, Nate was still working on getting Konnected working with HA so I went the easy way out, SmartThings, which have been working fine except I am married to Samsung's cloud. Since every company now a days wants to know everything we all do on a daily basis, I am trying to pry myself away from them as much as I can.

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you get all of this working together? I may have some Home Assistant questions for you in the future once I setup HA, for my first time :) I am always behind, running last place on all of this :) Funny but at the time I installed my Konnected alarm system, little over a year ago, Nate was still working on getting Konnected working with HA so I went the easy way out, SmartThings, which have been working fine except I am married to Samsung's cloud. Since every company now a days wants to know everything we all do on a daily basis, I am trying to pry myself away from them as much as I can.
Yep, I did get it working. Realtime person detection works great (I get notifications when a person is at my door as opposed to a cat or some other false trigger). Face detection is something I'm still tweaking a bit (though I'm always tweaking something it seems, haha) but I love local/cloud-free control and automation!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I did get it working. Realtime person detection works great (I get notifications when a person is at my door as opposed to a cat or some other false trigger). Face detection is something I'm still tweaking a bit (though I'm always tweaking something it seems, haha) but I love local/cloud-free control and automation!
Awesome
Amen Brother!!!

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here by passed my Elk 930 doorbell board and left the Elk 960 debounc board in place and install a reed switch inside of the doorbell chime and stayed with the 24VAC 40 VA transformer I purchased at Amazon. Thinking it might too big. The original one was 10 VAC 5 VA and had purchased another one which is 16 VAC 10 VA which should work too. The issue with the Elk 930 Doorbell sensor is that it is a current sensor and I was getting false triggers all day long with the new doorbell in place. I was able to trigger the sensor by streaming RTSP or enabling the night sensor. Removing the Elk 930 and going analog with reed switch works great.

I did a drawing for those interested that utilize Elk 960/930 boards (this is just for a zone trigger - doorbell).

DoorCircuit and Chime modification.jpg

BTW here also in to automation and CCTV and security. Currently using Home Assistant and MQTT, Leviton (HAI) OmniPro 2 panel and Homeseer. (well now too Alexa Show devices).

@hawkeye217

Would you share your code (firmware)? Reason is that I utilize JPG captures for my Leviton OmniPro 2 panel as RTSP doesn't work with the panel.

Are you doing MQTT with the Hikvision doorbell?

Here doing X10, UPB (light switches), ZWave and Zigbee with main automation boxes. Just recently added MQTT and modded WiFi devices with ESPurna firmware.

IE: all of my new Kitchen counter LEDs are managed by a modded Magic home RGB wifi controller modded with ESPurna. Added a digital on/off and dimmer pot to each these controllers. Very tiny and high on the WAF.

For CCTV have always used Zoneminder (Linux). Upgrading box and changing software these days.

JoshJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running the LaView firmware so that I get ONVIF API. Any stream Profile that I create, which uses the VideoEncoder_1 Encoder Configuration fails to stream. Any profile that uses VideoEncoder_2 is good-to-go.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?
upload_2019-9-24_13-59-27.png

I see a DESCRIBE from VLC, followed by a 401 (as expected), then a new DESCRIBE (with the credentials), but then no further response from the camera.

Note: The mainStream profile uses VideoEncoder_1, and it streams without issue.

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Many people replaced their old transformers with this one Edwards Signaling 598 120V 8/16/24V 30W Transformer, it seems to be a popular transformer, I assume due to being able to use 16VA or 24VA, it is great for testing plus is handles up to 30 Watt loads (which is great for this Doorbell and a Mech. Chime)

Thank you David L.

Started to order it and cancelled when I looked at the mounting mechanism. I prefer the conduit like ring fixture. I like the specs better than the one I have.

I went with this one - massive size - 24VAC / 40 VA (too big).

Endurance Pro 24V 40VA Thermostat/Doorbell Transformer

Last edited:

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would you share your code (firmware)? Reason is that I utilize JPG captures for my Leviton OmniPro 2 panel as RTSP doesn't work with the panel.

Are you doing MQTT with the Hikvision doorbell?
For frame grabbing, it's actually pretty easy because Hikvision already has a bit of free code to do it. You'll need to grab the SDK here: SDK - Download - Hikvision

I downloaded the 64 bit Linux version and just slightly modified the CapPicture.cpp in the "consoleDemo" directory (edited for my camera's IP address and credentials). It worked out of the box for me.

In terms of MQTT, I have a mechanical chime. So I wired up an ESP8266 and a optocoupler to detect when the chime is energized. It runs ESPHome and sends the data to Home Assistant. I'm getting a few false triggers (though it's not too bad), so I'm probably just going to install a reed switch in there next weekend. Should be a pretty easy fix.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you hawkeye217.

I did not know that there was a Linux SDK. Great news.

So looking at CapPicture.cpp see:

struLoginInfo.wPort = 8000;
memcpy(struLoginInfo.sDeviceAddress, "10.8.98.80", NET_DVR_DEV_ADDRESS_MAX_LEN);
memcpy(struLoginInfo.sUserName, "admin", NAME_LEN);
memcpy(struLoginInfo.sPassword, "hik12345", NAME_LEN);

Which I guess you changed.

That said I have compiled applications in Linux but have no idea how to do this with the SDK.

Will the source code file create a *.dav file?

Relating to MQTT here using a "plugin" called OmniProLink which talks from the OmniPro 2 panel to the Smartthings hub and MQTT and configured Home Assistant to use the MQTT from and to the panel.

I started to tinker with Arduino stuff a few years back and then went to some RPi tinkering..built a lightning sensor...a NOAA map downloader ...et al..then lost interest until I started to see modded Sonoffs around. I redid my 1-wire temperature sensors stuff using two Sonoffs with 5 temperature sensors each...

The doorbell is one zone on the alarm panel. ...for HAI touchscreens do a local on the panel ring and pop up of video...

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thank you David L.

Started to order it and cancelled when I looked at the mounting mechanism. I prefer the conduit like ring fixture. I like the specs better than the one I have.

I went with this one - massive size - 24VAC / 40 VA (too big).

Endurance Pro 24V 40VA Thermostat/Doorbell Transformer
Yeah this Edwards mount is a bit different though it should work like a conduit ring mount, just uses a screw instead of a ring nut, but I am with you, I am use to the old standard knockout j-box pipe ring nut mount (guess that is what its called) :)

Edwards 598 Transformer mount:
upload_2019-9-24_19-16-18.png

Our transformer is mounted to the side of our attic's light j-box.
upload_2019-9-24_19-49-54.png

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you David L.

Yes the old 10VAC / 10VA transformer was of that type. I also purchased a Heath-Zenith tri voltage day before yesterday and sent it back today as it was also the same type. I understand that it is easy to mount with the clip / screw. I just prefer to use the ring mount.

Here the transformer is mounted on a box right next to the conduit that goes up one floor to the wall doorbell chime. A few years ago did remove the door chime and just used the alarm panel for the chime (have a zoned audio system plugged in to the alarm panel). Then on a lark reinstalled the doorbell chime. I am in to text to speech (since the 1990's have used MS SAPI for automation speech). I still use it today on my Linux automation boxes.

Unrelating to OP I am a bit old fashioned here that I prefer to utilize conduit over plastic (and romex). Last house built I requested that the contractor utilize conduit. That is me. And now being old (> 60) set in my ways.

That said I am starting to play with facial recognition and want to incorporate it with the alarm panel. Been using RFID tags now for a few years and it works really well with my automation. I also play with lasers and ultrasonic blasters (there is good with bad stuff relating to this).

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you David L.

Yes the old 10VAC / 10VA transformer was of that type. I also purchased a Heath-Zenith tri voltage day before yesterday and sent it back today as it was also the same type. I understand that it is easy to mount with the clip / screw. I just prefer to use the ring mount.

Here the transformer is mounted on a box right next to the conduit that goes up one floor to the wall doorbell chime. A few years ago did remove the door chime and just used the alarm panel for the chime (have a zoned audio system plugged in to the alarm panel). Then on a lark reinstalled the doorbell chime. I am in to text to speech (since the 1990's have used MS SAPI for automation speech). I still use it today on my Linux automation boxes.

Unrelating to OP I am a bit old fashioned here that I prefer to utilize conduit over plastic (and romex). Last house built I requested that the contractor utilize conduit. That is me. And now being old (> 60) set in my ways.

That said I am starting to play with facial recognition and want to incorporate it with the alarm panel. Been using RFID tags now for a few years and it works really well with my automation. I also play with lasers and ultrasonic blasters (there is good with bad stuff relating to this).
Wow, you have a lot going on. So are ya RFID tagging your kids :), just joking. Well I am only a few years off from starting my sixties, so know what you mean being set in our ways. Ultrasonic blasters sound fun :), good for neighborhood dogs and mother-in-laws :)

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah the RFID (over 10 years) are just for the automobile announcements and the Ultrasonic blasters were for the 3 AM roaming coyotes which did not work anyhow.

Curious David which firmware are you using with your Hikvision doorbell?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the RFID (over 10 years) are just for the automobile announcements and the Ultrasonic blasters were for the 3 AM roaming coyotes which did not work anyhow.

Curious David which firmware are you using with your Hikvision doorbell?
190716, I have the LaView Doorbell:
upload_2019-9-25_17-34-20.png