New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

I finally got my chime working thanks to David L.
I changed the low voltage transfo with a 16v 30va and everything works perfectly so far.

Now in terms of private storage what do you suggest? I tried to add it to tinycam pro but no success. I guess thats something to do with the firmware ?

Thanks
FYI, found this on our Forum/Thread:
This will work fine with tiny cam pro. You just need to put in the rtsp feed address.
Just did a search here:

1576983115133.png

Reaction score
³
Wow, I come home from work and thank you...glad to be of help...
You know the thanks goes to many, many here. The 101 is from about 90% users here and 10% me. I just kept notes and compiled the 101 to help new owners with the basics, install, setup. Most of the more advanced questions I am unable to answer. As I get more confirmed info, I plan to add several sections to the 101. We hope to move it to a wiki or a new Thread one day, waiting on what Mike suggests.

I run SmartThings and hope to run Home Assistant or Hass.io one day. For now I am using Blue Iris on a PC recording 24/7. You have several options, you can record on a NVR, or NAS (Synology or QNAP), you can rely on the SD-Card and download footage as you need it (this is already one of your private storage's). When I first got my Doorbell I had the same question, actually still do :), not sure what I will permanently do but I Really like BI and all of it's options since I plan to add some outdoor cameras in the near future...

I looked into tinyCam awhile back (nice) and I ran across a Forum which I saw a few of our users from this Forum here offering their Doorbells for testing. Might of been the Forum here on IPCAMTALK, I can't remember.
So Thanks for putting things together and thanks all users that have contributed :)

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to order the EZVIZ version and wondering if this fits my needs.

Plan to use it with Blue Iris, so need to flash the Laview or Nelly FW?
Does 2 way audio work within Blue Iris?
Do you need some sort of online account for setup? I'm hoping it can be configured locally without ezviz, rca, laview account.
Does it function completely without Internet?
Do any of the apps work locally without an online account?

I don't want it connected to internet at all, if i need to view remotely I'll use Blue Iris over VPN, but hoping 2 way audio works over the local network without internet using an app.

Has anyone powered and configured it without actually installing it on the doorbell system, i wanted to tested it without messing with my doorbell system

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to order the EZVIZ version and wondering if this fits my needs.

Plan to use it with Blue Iris, so need to flash the Laview or Nelly FW?
Does 2 way audio work within Blue Iris?
Do you need some sort of online account for setup? I'm hoping it can be configured locally without ezviz, rca, laview account.
Does it function completely without Internet?
Do any of the apps work locally without an online account?

I don't want it connected to internet at all, if i need to view remotely I'll use Blue Iris over VPN, but hoping 2 way audio works over the local network without internet using an app.

Has anyone powered and configured it without actually installing it on the doorbell system, i wanted to tested it without messing with my doorbell system
Most who use Blue Iris here is running their Doorbell via ONVIF which will require either LaView or Nelly's firmware for ONVIF support.
2 Way Audio is not yet supported with this Doorbell through BI, yet meaning there are some users here working on it, with our hope to have it soon, before BI 6 comes out :) (inside joke)
Activation of the Doorbell requires an online account. But some users here has monitored traffic and found no threats of any video being sent out, only notifications, of course unless you view video via one of the Apps then yes, but don't hold Me to this, I have not tested this.
I believe it can function without the Internet since it records locally (SD-Card, Blue Iris, NVR, NAS, etc.). I record 24/7 via BI locally. I have not tested this either but will after the holidays.
No Apps work locally, to my knowledge, without a connection to their cloud for remote use. Another test I can add :)

I have a local VPN server I am running on my router (plan to move to Pfsense one day, several here have their VPN running on Pfsense) that I tunnel my App through to talk to the Doorbell, if that helps.

I know a lot of users here have bench tested the Doorbell before installing. Haha just searched the word bench here in this thread and got two pages :) So Many here have bench tested. :)
You should find more answers searching this thread for keywords. This thread has grown quite big, a lot of happy owners here.

Good questions; hope some of my answers help, and hopefully someone here will chime in and fill in my gaps and correct me if I am wrong.

Happy Holidays!!!

Last edited:

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most who use Blue Iris here is running their Doorbell via ONVIF which will require either LaView or Nelly's firmware for ONVIF support.
2 Way Audio is not yet supported with this Doorbell through BI, yet meaning there are some users here working on it, with our hope to have it soon, before BI 6 comes out :) (inside joke)
Activation of the Doorbell requires an online account. But some users here has monitored traffic and found no threats of any video being sent out, only notifications, of course unless you view video via one of the Apps then yes, but don't hold Me to this, I have not tested this.
I believe it can function without the Internet since it records locally (SD-Card, Blue Iris, NVR, NAS, etc.). I record 24/7 via BI locally. I have not tested this either but will after the holidays.
No Apps work locally, to my knowledge, without a connection to their cloud for remote use. Another test I can add :)

I have a local VPN server I am running on my router (plan to move to Pfsense one day, several here have their VPN running on Pfsense) that I tunnel my App through to talk to the Doorbell, if that helps.

I know a lot of users here have bench tested the Doorbell before installing. Haha just searched the word bench here in this thread and got two pages :) So Many here have bench tested. :)
You should find more answers searching this thread for keywords. This thread has grown quite big, a lot of happy owners here.

Good questions; hope some of my answers help, and hopefully someone here will chime in and fill in my gaps and correct me if I am wrong.

Happy Holidays!!!
Happy Holidays

I did search for bench, it's clear people got it working without actually installing it on a doorbell but it isn't clear how they did it.

Do i just plug it into 18-24v AC wall wart or would it go up in smoke?

Since it not on a doorbell chime do you need the PAK or the red resister cable plugged in?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Happy Holidays

I did search for bench, it's clear people got it working without actually installing it on a doorbell but it isn't clear how they did it.

Since it not on a doorbell chime do you need the PAK or the red resister cable plugged in?
I suspect when bench testing that users have a spare 16 to 24 VAC transformer they’re connecting to by taking a spare two-pole IEC cord, cutting off the IEC connector and wiring to the transformer.

When using the doorbell without a chime there is a fuse included in the kit to use.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Happy Holidays

You will still need to register the Doorbell on the cloud of the App you use for the initial install (bench test).

More basic info here:
DOORBELL 101

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will still need to register the Doorbell on the cloud of the App you use for the initial install (bench test).

More basic info here:
DOORBELL 101
Its okay for initial setup as long as it functions without Internet afterwards.

As for power i may just get the below or see if i have a proper power supply that i can splice together, doesn't look like you need anything special if the volts and amps are correct.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its okay for initial setup as long as it functions without Internet afterwards.

As for power i may just get the below or see if i have a proper power supply that i can splice together, doesn't look like you need anything special if the volts and amps are correct.

What I would personally do is look at your existing transformer and if it is a 16v 10va, I would order a 16v 30va or 40va and use it on your bench then when done with test, replace your old one. May save you some money. Just cut the end off a pc power cord for power to trans.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Hey guys

I cant seem to see my 5ghz network.
Are you aware of any limitation for canada ?
Im in montreal.

Shld i flash it with laview s firmware ?

Thx

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Range for 5GHz is shorter (it's a physics problem). Are you able to see that network from your phone when it is located at the same place as the doorbell? I don't think it has anything to do with the firmware.

Also want to report some observations:
My doorbell occasionally disconnects from the cloud server (which I still use for phone notification and two way calls). It could be due to my ISP changing IP or anything else. When it does, after a short timeout, the wifi radio seem to reload itself and everything gets reconnected. I observe that the rtsp stream gets interrupted for a couple of seconds when this happens. When this occurs too much within a short period of time (I don't know what the period is) the wifi does a factory reset. I think that's what triggered my doorbell losing it's wifi settings.

Reaction score
Range for 5GHz is shorter (it's a physics problem). Are you able to see that network from your phone when it is located at the same place as the doorbell? I don't think it has anything to do with the firmware.

Also want to report some observations:
My doorbell occasionally disconnects from the cloud server (which I still use for phone notification and two way calls). It could be due to my ISP changing IP or anything else. When it does, after a short timeout, the wifi radio seem to reload itself and everything gets reconnected. I observe that the rtsp stream gets interrupted for a couple of seconds when this happens. When this occurs too much within a short period of time (I don't know what the period is) the wifi does a factory reset. I think that's what triggered my doorbell losing it's wifi settings.
Yes im in the range of the 5ghz. Trying to switch because it takes abiut 30sec to get the video from a call. Is it because im receing the call on 2 phones ?

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello, i am thinking about switching out my existing ring doorbell for something like this, primarily for the ability to link it to blue iris and have 24/7 recording (ring obviously does not allow that).

A couple of questions:

1;. Do you think I should wait it out say another 6-12 months for any new models to hit the market (maybe even like a darkfighter/starlight version)?

2. How secure are these? I am assuming even though I will have blue iris connected for 24/7 recording and motion detection etc. I will need to hook it up to the cloud to get "doorbell" notifications on my mobile phone? Does the cloud software have 2-step auth, other security measures (ring does not have any of these), or is it just password authentication only?

3. What is the overall consensus on say the EZVIZ DB1?

Reaction score
So far, these are the top choice among several here. I recently upgraded to one, when the price went to the ridiculously low point of $89. They're back at $99, but that's still a darned lot better than the original $170 I paid for the first generation doorbell camera three years ago.

Reaction score
Hey guys

I cant seem to see my 5ghz network.
Are you aware of any limitation for canada ?
Im in montreal.

Shld i flash it with laview s firmware ?

Thx
Be certain your phone is connected to the 5GHz network BEFORE starting the EZViz app for setup.
If possible, kill the app or restart the phone and start over.
  • Connect to 5GHz network with the phone
  • Start the EZViz app
  • You should now be able to select the 5GHz network.

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In terms of the differences in hardware, etc.. between the RCA, Nellys, EZVIZ models... they are identical right? The only difference is the firmware right? but from my understanding you can flash whatever firmware you want?