New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So since I have more time on my hands being in Lock Down at home, this is a project I have been wanting to do for a long time. Our house, even though built in 2003, did not have Ethernet wiring to all Rooms. I was able to get our Electrician out the Day before our County/City Locked Down and turn my dream into reality. I needed an A/C outlet installed for our Alarm System which will also power the Rack Mounted UPS I had planned for our Rack. He did not bring his helper due to Pandemic so we both got all rooms done in about 4 hours. Also had a couple of future outdoor camera runs done too along with a coax run to move our cable modem to the Rack. We installed a 2 inch PVC for cable management.
Next is termination. I went with Keystone Jacks since the $30 9U Rack does not have a front swing door for future terminations.
Great job David. I'm an old ethernet tech. I will do this in my house too as soon as possible. Ethernet beats WiFi, always. :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great job David. I'm an old ethernet tech. I will do this in my house too as soon as possible. Ethernet beats WiFi, always. :)
Well I found this site that has good prices on Racks/Cabinets. Crazy but lowest Rack I found out there was $80, I paid $30 at CNA. This is a solid Rack.

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apologies, 1.0.3 tried to implement an alternate method of creating a pullpoint subscription (this is why unit tests are a must).
Releasing 1.0.4 to address any issues above, hope that works.
No need to apologize. This is one of the things I've been wanting for such a long time. a native response to the built in motion sensor in HA. I've used other ways of doing motion analysis on the camera feed with decent success. I've used IFTTT with a little success as well. Never used blue iris, but for me since I have an NVR it seemed like more than I needed. I also ended up buying the sage doorbell sensor for $5 on ebay. Now I have local motion and doorbell presses in HA. Thanks again

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I cannot seem to find the comment, but can someone point to the post where someone physically disabled the outdoor chime. I'm pretty sure i'll never get the option with laview firmware and I need the OVNIF support. I have no need for an outdoor ding dong. It's so loud.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Peanut is a very nice looking bird! 8 years old; baby still eh?

So here are my steps to install. Tell me if I am incorrect. Note so far 101 has worked the best for me.
BTW for the HikVision Video Doorbell ONVIF you do not need the admin login / password. Works fine for streaming / jpg stills without a username / password

1 - docker pull dfarkov/onvif2mqtt:latest
2 - cd /opt
3 - git clone dmitrif/onvif2mqtt
4 - nano config.dev.yml
5 - cp config.dev.yml /opt/onvif2mqtt/config.yml
8 -
docker run -d --name="onvif2mqtt" -v /opt/onvif2mqtt:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --net=host --restart always dfarkov/onvif2mqtt

OK. My bad. I put in the MQTT user name and password where the camera name and password should be. Fixed configuration and restarted it.

Docker ps looks good and it is not restarting

CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
d6e6891aaa75 dfarkov/onvif2mqtt "docker-entrypoint.s…" 32 minutes ago Up 3 minutes onvif2mqtt

/opt/onvif2mqtt# docker ps
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
d6e6891aaa75 dfarkov/onvif2mqtt "docker-entrypoint.s…" 45 minutes ago Up 10 minutes onvif2mqtt
60825af9a451 homeassistant/home-assistant "/bin/entry.sh pytho…" 3 months ago Up 2 weeks home-assistant

Just tested doorbell motion putting my hand in front of it and it triggered a MQTT message.

Logs look odd though.

onvif-cam@1.0.4 start /
node dist/index.js
{"level":30,"time":1585606927622,"msg":"Loading configuration. {\"configPath\":\"/config/config.yml\"}","v":1}
{"level":30,"time":1585606927647,"msg":"Validating configuration file.","v":1}
{"level":30,"time":1585606927960,"name":"Manager","msg":"Beginning initialization...","v":1}
{"level":30,"time":1585606927963,"name":"MQTT","hostname":"192.168.244.150:1883","msg":"Connecting.","v":1}
{"level":30,"time":1585606928141,"name":"MQTT","hostname":"192.168.244.150:1883","msg":"Successfully connected.","v":1}
{"level":30,"time":1585606928144,"name":"ONVIF/Doorbell","hostname":"192.168.244.152","msg":"Attempting connection.","v":1}
{"level":20,"time":1585606928149,"name":"MQTT","hostname":"192.168.244.150:1883","msg":"Publishing. {\"topic\":\"onvif2mqtt/Doorbell/motion\",\"value\":\"OFF\",\"retain\":true}","v":1}
{"level":50,"time":1585606928385,"name":"ONVIF/Doorbell","hostname":"192.168.244.152","msg":"Failed to connect to Doorbell {}","v":1}
{"level":30,"time":1585606928385,"name":"ONVIF/Doorbell","hostname":"192.168.244.152","msg":"Successfully connected.","v":1}
/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:139
throw new Error('You should create pull-point subscription first!');
^

Error: You should create pull-point subscription first!
at Cam.pullMessages (/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:139:10)
at Cam._eventPull (/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:262:9)
at Cam.<anonymous> (/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:100:13)
at parseSOAPString (/node_modules/onvif/lib/utils.js:98:3)
at IncomingMessage.<anonymous> (/node_modules/onvif/lib/cam.js:214:4)
at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:323:22)
at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1204:12)
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:84:21)
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

Keeps running and doesn't restart.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I cannot seem to find the comment, but can someone point to the post where someone physically disabled the outdoor chime. I'm pretty sure i'll never get the option with laview firmware and I need the OVNIF support. I have no need for an outdoor ding dong. It's so loud.
Hi Paul, so I went back on your post to find which DB you have, RCA right?

So from your post, you are running LaView 190716 build correct?

I will search to see if I can find the message you are talking about, physically disabling the outdoor chime. Do you know if there were pictures they included?

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone with an older RCA (mid 2019 or earlier) door bell, used the latest ezviz firmware? and been able to turn off the chime? Additionally, has anyone then went back to the laview firmware or nelly with ONVIF support and the the chime stayed off.
So in my search for the Outdoor Chime I ran across this message, guess we got our answer that even though you load EZVIZ firmware on our other DBs, along with the EZVIZ App, we will still not be able to turn Off the Outdoor Chime. I am still searching for the physical disable message you mentioned. February was a very tough month for me, I/we lost a very dear Loved one then.

Edit: Sorry no luck in finding the message you mentioned. I went back to the beginning of this year, unless I missed it somehow.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

this was the post I remembered, but not the asnwer, just someone else asking the same question I did
Tell you what, doubt it will help but you never know till you try, since I am a direct customer of a LaView DB, even ordered from them directly, I am going to contact their support and question why they don't have the same Outdoor Chime option EZVIZ has. Never know, it may spark them to add it.

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is it that you need about ONVIF that you can't get from RTSP? I'm curious if I am missing something.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Paul D

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is it that you need about ONVIF that you can't get from RTSP? I'm curious if I am missing something.

I'm running the docker container shared by @dfarkov to capture motion events to my Home Assistant server. It pulls the motion events using ONVIF. ONVIF also seems to work better for my NVR, but it does support rstp as well

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

this was the post I remembered, but not the asnwer, just someone else asking the same question I did
So I talked to Chris (LaView) Level 1 Tech. Support, he said he would get with their software dept. and email me back. Wish I could of got someone in next level support but this guy, like a lot of us, was working from home.

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running the docker container shared by @dfarkov to capture motion events to my Home Assistant server. It pulls the motion events using ONVIF. ONVIF also seems to work better for my NVR, but it does support rstp as well
Thank you. I may play around with that too. I am currently using RTSP with a free channel on my Lorex NVR. It records but it would be nice for the extra features your solution has.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are tired of watching the Stock Market here you go, difference is these numbers are going up...

Live

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The OnVIF - MQTT plugin is working fine here. I am ignoring the logging stuff.

I did install it in Home Assistant yesterday and added a card for it. I am seeing this on the card.

Specify an entity from within the sensor domain. type: sensor
entity: binary_sensor.doorbell_motion

Gonna change it to state topic MQTT.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was just told HIKVISION (DS-HD1) has new firmware update:

1585755235633.png

Can anyone who has the Hik let us know if ONVIF is supported in this new version...Or any other new options...Thank You

JB_Sullivan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, guys,
first of all, I apologize, but English is not my mother tongue. That's why it is very exhausting for me to follow this 155 pages long thread.

Today I mounted an EZVIZ DB1. Device version according to APP is 5.2.4 build 19121. This video doorbell should be identical to the model discussed here.

I have 1-2 questions now:

1.) is there any way to get an rtsp stream of the camera (port no.?)
2.) what is the default username and password?
3.) ONVIF doesn't work with this camera - did I read it when I was flying over the lines - right?
3) is there any way to integrate the camera into SmartHome systems like ioBroker or similar?

Thank you for your understanding and your feedback.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)