New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't? :)

I'm pretty confident you have some complex setup, with different wlans/lans/vlans, and some device that is supposed to bridge communication between those is not doing things correctly. Your camera is working fine.

If you want some help, provide a simple diagram of your home network so we can start understanding how you set it up and where the problem could be. :)
"looses connection" but it can be because of any reason and not only WIFI
No my network is very simple no VLANs
Its a separate WIFI network only by name to make sure the camera connects to the closest AP

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"looses connection" but it can be because of any reason and not only WIFI
No my network is very simple no VLANs
Its a separate WIFI network only by name to make sure the camera connects to the closest AP
"Loses connection" means that the device lost connection to the wifi. But that is not true, because the logs of the camera report no disconnection events, and UNIFI confirms there was no disconnection.

You are not reaching the camera because of some bridging issues. And btw, if you're an IT expert, you should know that for a dual-band wifi, experts and vendors recommend a single-SSID for both bands. Furthermore, NEVER use fixed channels, because if you have interference, your AP sticks on that channel, with possible issues. I discussed this topic in the past with another UNIFI user.

A different SSID means that the AP has to bridge the two wlans. So that means that your smartphone and your SSS are on a different wlan. I wouldn't even consider the camera as a problem, you have a network issue, that's all.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the camera can rollover and recycle automatically if configured properly. Check Batch Config:

View attachment 69272
Thanks. So mine has same settings as yours. I think these are defaults because I remember seeing this way back when my card filled up, think it was end of last year, anyway I ended up pulling my card again about a month ago to find it almost full again, I reformatted. I just checked and I have files going back to 08-07, that must of been the day I formatted. Can you check yours? Wondering if 0 Day means No Limit. I may play with this and set 10 Day to see if card only holds 10 Days of recordings.

1598407740192.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. So mine has same settings as yours. I think these are defaults because I remember seeing this way back when my card filled up, think it was end of last year, anyway I ended up pulling my card again about a month ago to find it almost full again, I reformatted. I just checked and I have files going back to 08-07, that must of been the day I formatted. Can you check yours? Wondering if 0 Day means No Limit. I may play with this and set 10 Day to see if card only holds 10 Days of recordings.
I don't use local recording since I have everything on my NAS. Just wanted to let you know I saw some options in Batch Config.

That option is the retention period: if you set it to 30 days, it means that files older than 30 are deleted to reclaim space. At least that's the theory. :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use local recording since I have everything on my NAS. Just wanted to let you know I saw some options in Batch Config.

That option is the retention period: if you set it to 30 days, it means that files older than 30 are deleted to reclaim space. At least that's the theory. :)
Sounds right to me :)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds right to me :)
Let me know if it works. :)

me too since I save recording to the local card and having issue where it seem to stop when card are full.

(camera still work fine with card full and still send screenshot to phone when motion alert - just no playback available since card is full or something that causing it to stop recording to the local card.

Reaction score
I have an RCA branded doorbell with the latest Hikvision FW (200321). I use Unifi networking, and BlueIris NVR. The Android app is Guarding Vision. I am not recording anything locally.

I am having a similar issue where Unifi shows the doorbell connected and Guarding Vision works just fine, but Blue Iris shows the doorbell camera is not reachable. I have to either power off the doorbell or reboot from the iVMS-4200 app to get BlueIris to be able to access the video stream. The "problem" shows up again in 1-3 weeks. I used the stock RCA FW, and then the Nelly's 191216 FW with no issues for months. This problem has only occurred with the latest Hikvision FW. The RCA and Nelly's FW had poor color and made the greens look yellow. I'm willing to go back to an older FW if this really "fixes" this issue, but wanted to confirm what firmware versions people are using and having issues with HSDB2A/BlueIris.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@cowsr4eating

Good to see you here on the IPCamTalk forum!

Here I have been OK with my Ruckus WAP. I do have a dedicated SSD for the HikVision Doorbell which was originally a Nelly's. So far here I have lost the function of the ONVIF snapshot which came back when I rebooted. This happened after about 3-4 months after the Hikvision firmware. I am using 2.4Ghz rather than 5 Ghz for communications to the Ruckus.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
me too since I save recording to the local card and having issue where it seem to stop when card are full.

(camera still work fine with card full and still send screenshot to phone when motion alert - just no playback available since card is full or something that causing it to stop recording to the local card.
In the IVMS-4200 software, under Remote Configuration/System/General there is an item called Overwrite Record FIles which I set to Yes in the hope that the oldest record files are being overwritten on the card as soon as the card is full. I don't know yet if this works because I only record on PIR events on the card and have stil 10 GB left. Did any of you guys set this item?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
In the IVMS-4200 software, under Remote Configuration/System/General there is an item called Overwrite Record FIles which I set to Yes in the hope that the oldest record files are being overwritten on the card as soon as the card is full. I don't know yet if this works because I only record on PIR events on the card and have stil 10 GB left. Did any of you guys set this item?
Not yet .. I will go check this one out

Thanks for sharing ..

Reaction score
I found moving the RCA doorbell to 2.4GHz greatly reduced the disconnects. The stats in BlueIris show the disconnects significantly less vs. a "gut feel", so I too would recommend forcing 2.4Ghz if you can. I did install a mesh AP literally on the other side of a brick wall from the doorbell, and there were still several disconnects a day with 5GHz AP 1 foot away vs. 1 disconnect a week on 2.4GHz with the AP 50 ft away and through 3 brick/stone walls.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I found moving the RCA doorbell to 2.4GHz greatly reduced the disconnects. The stats in BlueIris show the disconnects significantly less vs. a "gut feel", so I too would recommend forcing 2.4Ghz if you can. I did install a mesh AP literally on the other side of a brick wall from the doorbell, and there were still several disconnects a day with 5GHz AP 1 foot away vs. 1 disconnect a week on 2.4GHz with the AP 50 ft away and through 3 brick/stone walls.
No disconnections here. Tried both 2.4/5Ghz. Have a mesh wlan and the nearest mesh repeater to the DB1 is at 60ft. Signal is good and I have zero random disconnections. In the signature you'll find the details of my setup.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an RCA branded doorbell with the latest Hikvision FW (200321). I use Unifi networking, and BlueIris NVR. The Android app is Guarding Vision. I am not recording anything locally.

I am having a similar issue where Unifi shows the doorbell connected and Guarding Vision works just fine, but Blue Iris shows the doorbell camera is not reachable. I have to either power off the doorbell or reboot from the iVMS-4200 app to get BlueIris to be able to access the video stream. The "problem" shows up again in 1-3 weeks. I used the stock RCA FW, and then the Nelly's 191216 FW with no issues for months. This problem has only occurred with the latest Hikvision FW. The RCA and Nelly's FW had poor color and made the greens look yellow. I'm willing to go back to an older FW if this really "fixes" this issue, but wanted to confirm what firmware versions people are using and having issues with HSDB2A/BlueIris.
When BI reports the camera as not reachable you should immediately do a ping on the ip address of the camera and also a telnet on port 554 to make sure it is reachable. If these two tests pass, the problem is BI.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Killerjay,

What is it yoiu want to do or change with your video doorbell?

If everything is working for you at the current firmware release then I would leave it alone.

Many users here use the HikVision Batch Configuration program to make changes to their doorbell camera; like firmware changes et al

Personally here with my Nelly branded camera have updated the firmware to current revision of Hikvision firmware. I am doing ONVIF JPG, ONVIF streaming and RTSP streaming with it.

Earlier you mentioned you have an EZViz DB1. This is the same camera as the RCA, Nelly and Hikvision. I personally took my doorbell off of the cloud. I also utilize Monocle for Amazon show viewing. Monocle is doing a reverse proxy for the Amazon Show access. Never goes to the cloud.

Last edited:

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe somehow you have to many streams , without knowing? Did you try the old switch off switch on trick?
Yes I did. Thanks for the response.
I can't believe no one else has seen this problem. As soon as anything gets too close to the camera, Blue iris locks up the ezviz cam and shows a connection loss. I have to reset it in BI then it's ok until the next intrusion
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!! lol

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think it's time to replace the SAGE sensor with something more reliable and future-proof. But I need an electronic engineer here to tell me if this Shelly UNI would be good for the scope and how to connect it to replace the SAGE.

I use lots of Shelly devices for my home automation, and one thing I always felt as not really reliable like I woud like is the SAGE Doorbell sensor. It's battery powered and my first SAGE only lasted a few months before I needed to replace it.

1598576496094.png1598576584487.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same here, I was born in 1973, started programming on my C64 when I was a kid. My father was a great analyst/programmer in the old times, dna had its effect on me. :)

I then moved from programming to system and network management. Did that for many years, then I moved to sales after doing every tech role in IT.

So, your UNIFI wlan is perfect, that's great, and I see from your camera log that it didn't acknowledge any network disconnection. Where do you see the disconnections from? Unifi mgmt console? NVR? If the camera is disconnected, you will see the event in that log. If it's empty, there was no disconnection.
Atari guy here. First computer was Atari 400 (which I still have) with a cassette player attached to save the basic programs I typed from Antic Magazine articles :), one day hope to showcase it. And no I did not type on the bubble keyboard, I replaced the keyboard so in a way turning it into an Atari 800. Networking through the Atari XL/ST machines was through the MIDI port back then. Also had the first 8088 procs IBM PCs, and many clones. ARCNET? Remember that networking, BNC connectors :), I remember playing Doom with my 3 year old son, 27 years ago, he is now 30, though I think I may of been already been using a 10BASE-T network then.