New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I received the POE version last week and added it to BI. I haven't had time to install it at the front door, but it appears to be working so far laying on the basement floor. I'm only using the main stream currently. It's my first Reolink product so we'll see how it works.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.30.26.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I received the POE version last week and added it to BI. I haven't had time to install it at the front door, but it appears to be working so far laying on the basement floor. I'm only using the main stream currently. It's my first Reolink product so we'll see how it works.

View attachment 144382
Do you know if more than one wireless chime can be added?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you know if more than one wireless chime can be added?
The included documentation doesn't say, but someone on their Facebook group asked a similar question and the Reolink admin said that the chime will be available separately later. Doesn't really answer the question, but makes it sound like a possibility.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 15.54.17.png

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 144382
please keep us posted

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 144382
Did you get the email that it was delayed to December? Just wondering if that was a generic email and I could receive it early or if you ordered way ahead of me and got in the first batch to be sent out. Thanks for the information on it working so far.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you get the email that it was delayed to December? Just wondering if that was a generic email and I could receive it early or if you ordered way ahead of me and got in the first batch to be sent out. Thanks for the information on it working so far.
I didn’t get the email you mentioned. I ordered it from Reolink’s website at 6:32 am CDT on Aug 22. I think that’s the morning they started taking US orders.

I will say the shipping estimate they gave was accurate to the day. My order email in Aug said, “Estimated shipping date: 2022-10-17” and on that morning I got the tracking number. It arrived one day ahead of schedule. Hope yours arrives early!

I’ll post again when I get it mounted at my door.

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get the firmware? I can't find it on the official site (yet).

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those interesting to buy, it is now on sale and will ship in December.

Freddan101

n3wb
Reaction score
This doorbell seems to be what I'm been looking for, especially the RTSP feature as I would like to have a feed 24/7 in Blue Iris. But I'm having a hard time to choose between the POE and WIFI version. I don't have any cables behind my current doorbell so I need to fix either power or a CAT6. I will probably need to run the cable down the wall so a low voltage cable would be easier to hide. In the same time I have all of my CCTV cameras on POE as I don't like the idea to steam video constantly over wireless.

How do you guys reason when it comes to smart doorbells? Do you need to run a cable to your doorbell or do you already have it in place i the wall? Do you use POE or WIFI?

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
POE is the better choice. WiFi isn’t great. The WiFi version can use an Ethernet cable if WiFi doesn’t work according to Reolink support, it just can’t be powered by POE on the WiFi version. You could still use a POE splitter at the cable end if you can hide it somewhere so you can feed power to the bullet connector.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update from Reolink for those that preordered:

Dear Customer,

Greetings from Reolink.

Really appreciate your patience and support. This batch of goods is on its way to our US local warehouse by air. And your order is scheduled to be shipped around November 25. After shipment, we will update the tracking number to you.​
Have a great day!​
Best Regards,
Reolink Service Team​

Freddan101

n3wb
Reaction score
POE is the better choice. WiFi isn’t great. The WiFi version can use an Ethernet cable if WiFi doesn’t work according to Reolink support, it just can’t be powered by POE on the WiFi version. You could still use a POE splitter at the cable end if you can hide it somewhere so you can feed power to the bullet connector.
I agree with you that POE is the best choice, especially if I want to have a 24/7 stream, even if it's a sub stream. It doesn't feel right to deviate from my "all-POE setup". :) I need to find a way to hide the CAT6 though. It doesn't seem to be much space to pull out the cable from behind the doorbell so I guess I need to drill a hole in the wood panel and try to run the cable on the inside of the panel somehow.

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with you that POE is the best choice, especially if I want to have a 24/7 stream, even if it's a sub stream. It doesn't feel right to deviate from my "all-POE setup". :) I need to find a way to hide the CAT6 though. It doesn't seem to be much space to pull out the cable from behind the doorbell so I guess I need to drill a hole in the wood panel and try to run the cable on the inside of the panel somehow.
Most people I have seen just run new cable near the door where possible and rather than put it in the door frame itself simply place it next to the door, then wood dust/wood glue fill the holes from the old doorbell and paint over them. You could even tuck it along the bottom edge of the wall if it’s brick from a garage if necessary, then run it along the door frame then caulk and paint over it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Pull the trim off the side of the door where the doorbell is. You can easily cut a channel in the sheetrock for the CAT cable that way. Drill through the floor, if you have a basement, or route along the baseboard (maybe with the same technique). Put the trim back on, putty the new nail holes and a quick coat of paint.

Freddan101

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank a lot guys. I like your suggestions. Had another look at my door and I think I will find a way to do a nice installation. Just placed a pre-order for the POE version. Will ship in Europe Dec 19, so if I'm lucky it will be an early Christmas gift.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Received my POE Reolink Doorbell today. Some bad news (at least so far) is that the current firmware does not allow fixed frame rate with iframe setting to 1. When added to BI it has an iframe that is variable and shows 0.5 and the substream has iframe of 0.25. Image quality looks pretty good compared to my Lorex 2k.

One confusing thing prior to install is that it has screw terminals for connection to existing doorbell wiring but the FAQ says:

Can I use Reolink Video Doorbell PoE with my pre-existing chimes?

No, Reolink Video Doorbell PoE does not work with chimes of other brands.

Well...here goes nothing. Gonna fish me a CAT6 cable, terminate, and install the existing doorbell wires as well. Hopefully I don't fry my doorbell or the Ubiquiti 24 port switch!

PS - the quick start guide appears to show the Wifi version still having a LAN port but mentions you need to power through existing doorbell wiring. That might be an interesting option for some??

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Received my POE Reolink Doorbell today. Some bad news (at least so far) is that the current firmware does not allow fixed frame rate with iframe setting to 1. When added to BI it has an iframe that is variable and shows 0.5 and the substream has iframe of 0.25. Image quality looks pretty good compared to my Lorex 2k.

One confusing thing prior to install is that it has screw terminals for connection to existing doorbell wiring but the FAQ says:

Can I use Reolink Video Doorbell PoE with my pre-existing chimes?

No, Reolink Video Doorbell PoE does not work with chimes of other brands.

Well...here goes nothing. Gonna fish me a CAT6 cable, terminate, and install the existing doorbell wires as well. Hopefully I don't fry my doorbell or the Ubiquiti 24 port switch!

PS - the quick start guide appears to show the Wifi version still having a LAN port but mentions you need to power through existing doorbell wiring. That might be an interesting option for some??
Technically you could connect the WiFi version via POE Ethernet and a POE splitter that then powers the doorbell also.