New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh great, something else I need to research, LOL...

Thanks...
they are actually building this back up from scratch and nows it going to be open source. im really curious how its going to turn out.

their AI was top notch..... line crossing, etc. human, car, and animal were great. the APP needed some some work and tweaks

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will say the CPU in this DB seems much better than my DB1 variant...I am now testing four main streams through VLC and they are all running with little to no lost frames...
I am sure being hard wired is also a big plus compared to my WiFi (Hikvision) Doorbell...

1672837313321.png

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I did some coding for fun, to hook up my mechanical chime and got it working. In short, I looked at this Neolink project and wrote my own implementation in C. I'm now able to login to the doorbell, listen, receive alerts (both PIR and doorbell alerts). Next would be to implement the talking part, so I can actually talk to the doorbell.

To give you an idea, this is what is being transmitted. Note that people is used for PIR alerts and visitor for doorbell presses:

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<body>
<AlarmEventList version="1.1">
<AlarmEvent version="1.1">
<channelId>0</channelId>
<status>visitor</status>
<AItype>none</AItype>
<recording>0</recording>
<timeStamp>0</timeStamp>
</AlarmEvent>
</AlarmEventList>
</body>

<body>
<channelId>0</channelId>
<status>MD</status>
<AItype>people</AItype>
<recording>0</recording>
<timeStamp>0</timeStamp>
</AlarmEvent>
</AlarmEventList>
</body>

Last edited:

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have no immediate plans on getting this Reolink doorbell, but I have been following this thread with great interest.

Just an FYI - Home Assistant's 2023.1 release includes a new Reolink integration for cameras/doorbells/NVR.
The following models have been tested and confirmed to work:
  • RLN8-410 NVR
  • RLC-811A
  • RLC-823A
  • RLC-420-5MP
  • E1 Zoom (Images stream not supported)
  • Reolink Video Doorbell PoE
  • Reolink Video Doorbell WiFi
Battery-powered cameras are not yet supported.

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for that clarification. Interesting though, that the core integration documentation sure implies that doorbell press sensor works (but only if not connected to an NVR).

Reolink doorbell presses only generate ONVIF event notifications when the doorbell is directly connected to your network. The doorbell visitor binary sensor will not work when connecting the Reolink doorbell to an NVR.

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for that clarification. Interesting though, that the core integration documentation sure implies that doorbell press sensor works (but only if not connected to an NVR).
Yea, it's as if they planned it, but didn't complete it. I read about it from someone who beta tested the integration here.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I did some coding for fun, to hook up my mechanical chime and got it working. In short, I looked at this Neolink project and wrote my own implementation in C. I'm now able to login to the doorbell, listen, receive alerts (both PIR and doorbell alerts). Next would be to implement the talking part, so I can actually talk to the doorbell.

To give you an idea, this is what is being transmitted. Note that people is used for PIR alerts and visitor for doorbell presses:

XML:
<body>
<channelId>0</channelId>
<status>visitor</status>
<AItype>none</AItype>
<recording>0</recording>
<timeStamp>0</timeStamp>
</AlarmEvent>
</AlarmEventList>
</body>

<body>
<channelId>0</channelId>
<status>MD</status>
<AItype>people</AItype>
<recording>0</recording>
<timeStamp>0</timeStamp>
</AlarmEvent>
</AlarmEventList>
</body>
Do you have the POE or WiFi DB?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will say the CPU in this DB seems much better than my DB1 variant...I am now testing four main streams through VLC and they are all running with little to no lost frames...
I am sure being hard wired is also a big plus compared to my WiFi (Hikvision) Doorbell...

View attachment 149925
So FYI, Four streams started out good but when I checked it this morning there were hundreds of dropped frames. I closed the streams and am now testing only three streams. My test is on my BI box which only runs BI.

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So FYI, Four streams started out good but when I checked it this morning there were hundreds of dropped frames. I closed the streams and am now testing only three streams. My test is on my BI box which only runs BI.
Regarding multiple streams to the camera, there is actually a piece of software called go2rtc that alleviates such issues. I don't know how everyone used their cameras or what things may or may not work well with it, but for my usage of it there isn't anything off hand that I'm aware of that would be limiting.

How it works is you set up the software to read streams from the camera, maybe even just one if you just needed the mainstream for example and not also the substream, so it really should be two connections to one camera at most, maybe just one. Then the software restreams the feeds to whatever other devices need to see it and therefore it alleviates all the different connections to the cameras and it works really well. The software is meant to be run on some kind of server, or at least a computer that is on 24/7.

I have found that it allows me to load videos quicker say for instance through home assistant since the connection to the camera is always there and available and connecting directly to go2rtc is super quick comparatively. It's not the equivalent of having to make the connection to the camera and it takes some extra time.

I used to not bother having a camera feed load up on a display I had did it a time it would take to actually start playing the video, but once I started using this software that camera feed would load almost instantaneously from go2rtc.

Edit:
It is also highly compatible with the type of streams it can read from cameras and the different types of streams that can be used to read from it.

Another nice thing it does with regards to Reolink cameras is that when using the HTTP FLV stream through the rtmp port, which is best for these cameras, there are also arguments to use that allow for best streaming and they're applied by default.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding multiple streams to the camera, there is actually a piece of software called go2rtc that alleviates such issues. I don't know how everyone used their cameras or what things may or may not work well with it, but for my usage of it there isn't anything off hand that I'm aware of that would be limiting.

How it works is you set up the software to read streams from the camera, maybe even just one if you just needed the mainstream for example and not also the substream, so it really should be two connections to one camera at most, maybe just one. Then the software restreams the feeds to whatever other devices need to see it and therefore it alleviates all the different connections to the cameras and it works really well. The software is meant to be run on some kind of server, or at least a computer that is on 24/7.

I have found that it allows me to load videos quicker say for instance through home assistant since the connection to the camera is always there and available and connecting directly to go2rtc is super quick comparatively. It's not the equivalent of having to make the connection to the camera and it takes some extra time.

I used to not bother having a camera feed load up on a display I had did it a time it would take to actually start playing the video, but once I started using this software that camera feed would load almost instantaneously from go2rtc.

Edit:
It is also highly compatible with the type of streams it can read from cameras and the different types of streams that can be used to read from it.

Another nice thing it does with regards to Reolink cameras is that when using the HTTP FLV stream through the rtmp port, which is best for these cameras, there are also arguments to use that allow for best streaming and they're applied by default.
Thank You for this info...Good to know...

My testing is pretty privative, I just do these multiple stream test to see how the CPU can handle a load. I am sure there are many other ways to do this...

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you elaborate more on how you connected your Mech. Chime to the DB? Thanks
Sure. I wrote some code that connects to the doorbell (port 9000), logs in, sets itself in a "listen" state. It then sends a ping message every 25 seconds of inactivity (else the connection is torn down by the doorbell). Once it receives replies I parse them and look for the "visitor" keyword. When that keyword appears, it opens the USB relay for X period, which is connected to my chime.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure. I wrote some code that connects to the doorbell (port 9000), logs in, sets itself in a "listen" state. It then sends a ping message every 25 seconds of inactivity (else the connection is torn down by the doorbell). Once it receives replies I parse them and look for the "visitor" keyword. When that keyword appears, it opens the USB relay for X period, which is connected to my chime.
So the USB Relay is your connection to the Mech. Chime, not directly to the DB. Gotcha...Thanks...pretty kewl.

You might be able to sell this, been seeing a lot of people on Reddit that would like to have their Mech. Chime work with this DB.

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the USB Relay is your connection to the Mech. Chime, not directly to the DB. Gotcha...Thanks...pretty kewl.

You might be able to sell this, been seeing a lot of people on Reddit that would like to have their Mech. Chime work with this DB.
I'm a carpenter, I lay wooden floors. This is just hobby :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
24 hours Results, Three Continuous VLC Streams:

1673042198340.png1673042254173.png1673042297258.png

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Btw, the encryption scheme is absolutely horrible. First of all the passwords are sent xored. Then the MD5 of that password is used to calculate an AES key. To make matters even worse, AES in CFB mode is used with the same static key throughout the whole session. This means that if you have the plain text of a message of length N, you can easily recover all other messages of length N.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Watched a Youtube from Life Hacker attending CES show. The vendor at Reolink booth said their new PoE doorbell is coming out on the second half of 2023?

Seems Reolink is releasing a new version PoE doorbell?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Watched a Youtube from Life Hacker attending CES show. The vendor at Reolink booth said their new PoE doorbell is coming out on the second half of 2023?

Seems Reolink is releasing a new version PoE doorbell?
i thought he said there was going to be a battery powered powered unit in the second half of 2023?