New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knows "if" this doorbell will work with my 16 channel Lorex NVR. Several years ago I sucessfully installed a Yoo-See SD-M5 video doorbell and connnectd to my Lorex NVR via a Ubiquiti 802.3af Gigabit PoE Converter. The SD-m5 works pretty good but I was hoping to upgrade the image quality.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knows "if" this doorbell will work with my 16 channel Lorex NVR. Several years ago I sucessfully installed a Yoo-See SD-M5 video doorbell and connnectd to my Lorex NVR via a Ubiquiti 802.3af Gigabit PoE Converter. The SD-m5 works pretty good but I was hoping to upgrade the image quality.
Don't know much about NVRs but can yours handle the higher res. from this DB? Which of course you could lower the res. but lose the gain of the video quality this DB has. What model is your NVR?

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Zero No Signals (Disconnects) using RTMP has been my experience. I would try RTMP, you just pick ReoLink from the CAM list (Make). I had the same experience as you with turning off the Keep Alives, though it helped it did not fix the Lost Signals.

Here is 10 days straight on both POE and WiFi versions.
View attachment 156150

View attachment 156149

Main Stream:
/bcs/channel0_main.bcs?channel=0&stream=0&user={id}&password={pw}

If you need anything else, let me know...
I only have 4 drops in over 10 hours.

I am using an updated firmware from Reolink they sent me to fix RTSP streams.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I only have 4 drops in over 10 hours.

I am using an updated firmware from Reolink they sent me to fix RTSP streams.

It's great they are working on a fix. In monitoring my BI logs these past few months, none of my Dahua CAMs had Any drops at all. Even my WiFi DB1 variant only had a couple in 30 days. I can understand on the WiFi version, but the POE version should perform the same as other CAMs. From my research this has been a long problem with ReoLink CAMs. Hope they get it fixed.

Thanks for sharing the firmware post...

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't know much about NVRs but can yours handle the higher res. from this DB? Which of course you could lower the res. but lose the gain of the video quality this DB has. What model is your NVR?
Handling the resolution shouldn't be a problem. Specs on my Lorex NVR - Model N861D63 -16-Channel - Recording resolution 4K (8MP)/5MP/4MP/3MP/1080p/720p. FYI: I contacted Reolink to see if I could use their doorbell with my Lorex NVR and no big surprise... they said "No" they don't support Lorex products and suggested I purchase their comparable unit Model RLN16. That said, in checking the specs of both their unit and my Lorex NVR share the same 25W per port power draw, the same H.265/H.264 video compression, and since the doorbell supports the same IEEE 802.3 af/at standard on my NVR I should be golden. NET: From a hardware standpont the doorbell should be compatible. The only caveat is the Lorex NVR firmware / software won't support non Lorex cameras anymore than it supported the Yoo-See SD-M5 doorbell when I installed. Guess I was wondeirng if any Lorex NVR owners gave it a shot! The most annoying aspect of the Yousee doorbell is the recordings via the doorbell show the date as Jan 01,1970 and it can't be set to the correct date/ time via the Lorex firmware. Thinking I might just order the Reolink and give it a shot.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Handling the resolution shouldn't be a problem. Specs on my Lorex NVR - Model N861D63 -16-Channel - Recording resolution 4K (8MP)/5MP/4MP/3MP/1080p/720p. FYI: I contacted Reolink to see if I could use their doorbell with my Lorex NVR and no big surprise... they said "No" they don't support Lorex products and suggested I purchase their comparable unit Model RLN16. That said, in checking the specs of both their unit and my Lorex NVR share the same 25W per port power draw, the same H.265/H.264 video compression, and since the doorbell supports the same IEEE 802.3 af/at standard on my NVR I should be golden. NET: From a hardware standpont the doorbell should be compatible. The only caveat is the Lorex NVR firmware / software won't support non Lorex cameras anymore than it supported the Yoo-See SD-M5 doorbell when I installed. Guess I was wondeirng if any Lorex NVR owners gave it a shot! The most annoying aspect of the Yousee doorbell is the recordings via the doorbell show the date as Jan 01,1970 and it can't be set to the correct date/ time via the Lorex firmware. Thinking I might just order the Reolink and give it a shot.
You would probably get the same response if you called Lorex. Wonder if Skywatch will be any different, probably not.

When I ordered through Amazon during the Holidays I had a few months to return, think you have 30 days now which you will know by then if it works for you.

Let us know...

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one of these Wifi DBs and want to use it with BI. I read/skimmed most of this long thread but I don't think I read about anyone using this camera for triggers in BI. I know in the past that Reolink cameras don't work well with BI because of the FPS/Key issue but I wanted to know if anyone has had reliable triggers in BI with this camera.

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one of these Wifi DBs and want to use it with BI. I read/skimmed most of this long thread but I don't think I read about anyone using this camera for triggers in BI. I know in the past that Reolink cameras don't work well with BI because of the FPS/Key issue but I wanted to know if anyone has had reliable triggers in BI with this camera.
I am using the POE version just because that’s what i wanted to use due to WiFi stability issues. I record 24x7 sub stream with high res main stream. It’s definitely more clear than the Amcrest and their support is 100x better than Amcrest support, at least in my experience.

I get notifications in BI from ONVIF triggers regularly, however I only send push notifications to my phone from BI if someone crosses between the sidewalk and my porch. I do get push notifications from the Reolink directly though and the Reolink push is usually faster than the BI push. I have the doorbell on its own VLAN and firewalled off from the network, except the necessary ports to go to BI, but allowed to the internet so I can respond to video doorbell feature. It works great, but I did have to get the beta RTSP firmware from Reolink to fix some time sync/lag issues I was experiencing.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using the POE version just because that’s what i wanted to use due to WiFi stability issues. I record 24x7 sub stream with high res main stream. It’s definitely more clear than the Amcrest and their support is 100x better than Amcrest support, at least in my experience.

I get notifications in BI from ONVIF triggers regularly, however I only send push notifications to my phone from BI if someone crosses between the sidewalk and my porch. I do get push notifications from the Reolink directly though and the Reolink push is usually faster than the BI push. I have the doorbell on its own VLAN and firewalled off from the network, except the necessary ports to go to BI, but allowed to the internet so I can respond to video doorbell feature. It works great, but I did have to get the beta RTSP firmware from Reolink to fix some time sync/lag issues I was experiencing.
Great! Thanks the the information. I'm not sure I can get a cable to the DB so I plan on getting the WiFi version so I hope it works the same.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great! Thanks the the information. I'm not sure I can get a cable to the DB so I plan on getting the WiFi version so I hope it works the same.
I have both POE and WiFi versions and see no difference.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have both POE and WiFi versions and see no difference.
Thank, That's good to know. We just had the house built and I could have selected where I wanted additional Cat6 cables and I didn't pick the doorbell because I didn't know about the POE option. I can probably get a cable there but I'd rather not at this point.

clofan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Put my wifi cam in this morning. So far so good, love that it did not require me to make an account to use the thing! Got it added to BI no problem. It makes my AC power adapter/chime combo unit buzz, though. Going to try to figure that one out tomorrow, probably need a resistor somewhere?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Put my wifi cam in this morning. So far so good, love that it did not require me to make an account to use the thing! Got it added to BI no problem. It makes my AC power adapter/chime combo unit buzz, though. Going to try to figure that one out tomorrow, probably need a resistor somewhere?
Hmmm. I got mine hooked up and my Mech. Chime is still connected yet no buzz. What Chime do you have?

Question, if you did not use the App to setup your DB, can you check in Windows Client if you have Diag. Log.

1679712309062.png

clofan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The chime that came with the house 15 years ago!! Probably the cheapest one they could find.

I have no such option on my Maintenance page. Skips from firmware update to auto reboot.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The chime that came with the house 15 years ago!! Probably the cheapest one they could find.

I have no such option on my Maintenance page. Skips from firmware update to auto reboot.
Do you know what size transformer you have? You may need to increase it.

Most builder grade transformers are 16V 10VA
I upgraded mine to 16V 30VA

clofan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think I've taken the case off the wall before. Although I seem to recall from measuring when I installed a ring a few years back that it was putting out 24VAC. Didn't check amps but it was enough for that cam to stay charged.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think I've taken the case off the wall before. Although I seem to recall from measuring when I installed a ring a few years back that it was putting out 24VAC. Didn't check amps but it was enough for that cam to stay charged.
In theory this DB does not send voltage to an existing Chime, like my DB1 or your Ring did when button is pressed. Do you still have your Power Kit from your Ring connected at your Chime?

Since you brought this up, I still have mine connected from my DB1, I am just testing the WiFi version until I get my POE version installed. Maybe I need to remove the Power Kit that came with my DB1 and see if I get a Buzz...

clofan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
100% agreed on PoE, I just didn't want the hassle of running CAT cable through the door frame at the edge of a hip roof. My AP is only about 15ft away so I get good signal. I saw that my wifi cam can be powered PoE, although I haven't tested that yet-- are these the same cam, only one has a wifi radio?

Checked out my transformer today. Nutone C905, sure enough 16V 10Va. Interestingly it isn't buzzing today. Or maybe I can't hear it over the other noises in the house. Maybe it only happens when its drawing more power, like if the IR lights are on or a recording is being played back?

To be fair, I haven't followed the Reolink-provided instructions for the mechanical chime.. maybe I will read those today!

clofan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright, yeah, instructions can be important maybe. It says in the first section, if you don't follow the instructions to bypass the chime:

The existing mechanical chime will vibrate or sound abnormally.
And they included a little jumper for bridging the chime terminals. So that's probably it. It's bypassed now, hopefully that'll fix the buzz. If not I'll probably remove the chime entirely and wire a nema receptacle for the Reolink chime.