New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@kd4e Hopefully I can get you setup/through this. Sorry, my Write-up was actually a follow up on some testing I was doing at the time, so I shared a way to setup the DB without a router. If this is not your goal, then a basic setup will get you going.

First, which DB do you have, the WiFi or POE?

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No re. the Reolink app.

I'm actually planning to initially try to get our Cobra NVR to recognize and display it (I have Reolink and Cobra cams on it now).

Later, the plan is to manage them via BSD or Linux.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions but it helps with how to proceed. With your NVR, do you have direct access to your cameras, that is can you get to their IPs without going through the NVR?
To my understanding a NVR is connected to a network switch/router and obtains it's IP or is assigned one in the same subnet on that network but the NVR has it's own DHCP Server and supplies the cameras with their IPs but with that said, the only way to get to those cameras is through the NVR's interface.

Correct me if I am wrong...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To connect your DB to a NVR, @Elton Noway has several post that may help you.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions but it helps with how to proceed. With your NVR, do you have direct access to your cameras, that is can you get to their IPs without going through the NVR?
To my understanding a NVR is connected to a network switch/router and obtains it's IP or is assigned one in the same subnet on that network but the NVR has it's own DHCP Server and supplies the cameras with their IPs but with that said, the only way to get to those cameras is through the NVR's interface.

Correct me if I am wrong...
Yes. I can access the streams from my laptop or from the keyboard & monitor connected to the NVR. I can also access the streams from other apps (ContaCam, Camlytics, etc.)

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To connect your DB to a NVR, @Elton Noway has several post that may help you.

I'll have a look at that, thanks. If I recall, correctly, your method avoided the Reolink app & potential phone-home? (I've probably read 100+ pages of forums and how-to's over the past few days, so keeping them straight in my head is impossible.)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll have a look at that, thanks. If I recall, correctly, your method avoided the Reolink app & potential phone-home? (I've probably read 100+ pages of forums and how-to's over the past few days, so keeping them straight in my head is impossible.)
Yes to avoid initial setup via their App/Cloud we need to get the DB talking to your Router/Network and get an IP assigned to it so you can access it's Web Interface either via a browser to it's IP or through Reolink's Windows Client Software to turn on ONVIF like you did with your other Cam.

So you will actually be doing the same thing as you did with your other cameras:

The PC or Laptop you communicate with the DB via browser/client software will need to be connected to the same network/subnet to talk to the DB.

Have you connected an ethernet cable from the DB to your router or switch that the router is on with the port being able to assign an IP via DHCP?

Since it is late I will continue with you tomorrow...thanks for your patience with me...

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. I can access the streams from my laptop or from the keyboard & monitor connected to the NVR. I can also access the streams from other apps (ContaCam, Camlytics, etc.)
Just FYI, accessing the RTSP or RMTP, etc. video feeds is different than direct access to the Camera's IP. I understand the goal is to get the Cameras connected to your NVR to stream video. But unless those protocols are turned On by default on your Camera, you will need to first setup your Camera with the settings you want and then connect it to your NVR. Since I am not familiar with NVRs, I have been told some NVR's do allow access to the Camera's interface but normally that is Cameras branded by the same brand NVR. In a way, the NVR is it's own network/router.

Programs like Blue Iris do not have this issue. Not putting down the store bought NVRs they just have limitations...

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@DavidL "Have you connected an ethernet cable from the DB to your router or switch that the router is on with the port being able to assign an IP via DHCP?"

OK, so I need to connect the Reolink DB to the router.

Then I need to turn Wifi back on (on my notebook pc) and use the Reolink "client" to alter the settings.

NOTE: Should I restore the security settings or leave them disabled while I do this?

After that I should be able to access it via the NVR, a Web browser, BlueIris, and about everything else?

Also, I appreciate your (and others) patience with me! Thanks.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@kd4e Sorry, normally I am more available, been away, busy day. Anyway. So the write-up I did was
@DavidL "Have you connected an ethernet cable from the DB to your router or switch that the router is on with the port being able to assign an IP via DHCP?"

OK, so I need to connect the Reolink DB to the router.

Then I need to turn Wifi back on (on my notebook pc) and use the Reolink "client" to alter the settings.

NOTE: Should I restore the security settings or leave them disabled while I do this?

After that I should be able to access it via the NVR, a Web browser, BlueIris, and about everything else?

Also, I appreciate your (and others) patience with me! Thanks.
Yes hard wire the DB to your router or switch so it can obtain an IP via your router's DHCP server. Using your notebook pc run the Reolink Client software, make sure you are connected to the same network/router (IP range) the DB is on, the DB will show up in the software and from there turn On RTSP and ONVIF, you can turn On RTMP and HTTPS or whatever you think you may need for your NVR.

You can restore the security settings, that write up is for running a DCHP Server from your notebook, bypassing using a router. I would ignore that Instructional...I will word it better to keep any confusion in the future, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Leave the DB set to DHCP, I would not assign an IP since your NVR will do that. When done you should be able to disconnect the DB from your Router and do a discover/find/add or whatever the wording is on your NVR to add the DB.

HTH

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All working fine, thanks!

Is it expected to run notably warm?

Now to get it mounted and powered on the outside metal surface (it's laying on a table atm).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it expected to run notably warm?
It can take it...here's mine outside reading 151° F back in June.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It can take it...here's mine outside reading 151° F back in June.

WOW! I guess so. Thanks.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These Cameras in these small cases all deal with heat. I was surprised my Hikvision DB1 variant went through 4 summers in the Southern heat, many temperatures over 100 and is still working to this very day. On our other Doorbell Thread I have seen custom mounts with fans, even heat sinks which I am sure helps but really not needed.

AusSpark

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys have a Roeolink POE doorbell. Bought it to essentially have a discrete cam at the front of my house.

I have a Dahua 4208-8P-4KS1 NVR for all my cameras. Was able to get the thing connected to my NVR with some guidance from this forum, looks good so far and quite stable.

At the moment via the Dahua NVR, i have it recording 24/7. I would love to have it recording for motion only.

I know i cant use all the smart Reolink stuff with a Dahua NVR , but simple motion detection will suit me fine.

Has anyone achived this?

The doorbell is connected to the NVR directly using its own internal POE switch, using the ONVIF profile, RTSP port "Self Adaptive", HTTP Port 8000.

AusSpark

n3wb
Reaction score
Opps, forgot to mention.

Was running old firmware on the Doorbell cam and was able to detect motion on the Dahua NVR (little red guy showed up on TV). And was able to set audio detection recording.

Once i upgraded to newer firmware, all of this stuff stoped and i can only record 24/7 :confused:

Any ideas to get motion detection on a Dahua NVR?

Thanks in advance ;)