New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Deal. I just ordered the POE doorbell and the linked receiver. If you dont hear back from me assume electrocution.
Maybe from the transformer primary but the secondary will just tingle quite a bit....confirm voltage, open the breaker then test it again....that tests the tester!
If we don't hear back from you we'll instead assume you're working on either the honeydo list or your Christmas gifts list...... :cool:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When we moved in July it has taken all these months for me to get the DB installed and BI back online at our new home. Anyway, I ran the original firmware on the DB with no problems. I just installed Reolink Discovery in Home Assistant since JimStar is no longer supporting his Reolink project at Github.

I am getting the following message to upgrade my firmware on the DB. My question is, what firmware is everyone using that is stable for them?

1701133811987.png

1701133852621.png

Thanks...

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Beats me, mines not checked, have not had to reboot since installed this past June.:idk:

Close to mine; disconnected existing mech. chime altogether and ran transformer secondary to both Reolinks, using the 2 furnished plug-in chimes, 1 paired to side door, 1 paired with different sound to front door.
Using RMTP on 1, RSTP on other, both to BI as a test, no HA.
Look forward to your test results. Is there an advantage to RSTP or RMTP.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look forward to your test results. Is there an advantage to RSTP or RMTP.
The answer is it depends on the application. RTSP is generally used to stream IP surveillance cams. I found the following comparisons:

Excerpt:
RTSP and RTMP are similar in most respects but have slight differences. RTMP is well-suited for high-quality streaming, while RTSP is better suited for low-latency streaming. Both are efficient and reliable, and the right choice will depend on the specific requirements of your streaming application.

Excerpt:

RTSP is commonly used for streaming media, such as video or audio streams, and is best for media that needs to be broadcasted in real-time. Meanwhile, RTMP is commonly used for streaming media over the web and is best for media that can be stored and delivered when needed.

Reaction score
Maybe from the transformer primary but the secondary will just tingle quite a bit....confirm voltage, open the breaker then test it again....that tests the tester!
If we don't hear back from you we'll instead assume you're working on either the honeydo list or your Christmas gifts list...... :cool:
Im still waiting on the part from China but the doorbell is in and its pretty nice (POE). Thanks to all the people who maintain these threads. It was really easy to get it up and running in Blue Iris.

AlanPham

n3wb
Reaction score
Im still waiting on the part from China but the doorbell is in and its pretty nice (POE). Thanks to all the people who maintain these threads. It was really easy to get it up and running in Blue Iris.
how did you connected to Blue iris? i did connect just like other camera but it said no signal but when i use the reolink app it does work !! please help

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@AlanPham If you read this thread, you will know that there are 2 ways to connect to BlueIris, via RTSP or RTMP.

Please make sure that 1 of these are enabled in the doorbell.
reolink.png

I am using RTSP. Here is what my Reolink settings in BlueIris looks like:bi.png

If you need help, you need to share details about what you've tried.

Last edited:

AlanPham

n3wb
Reaction score
@AlanPham If you read this thread, you will know that there are 2 ways to connect to BlueIris, via RTSP or RTMP.

Please make sure that 1 of these are enabled in the doorbell.
View attachment 179563

I am using RTSP. Here is what my Reolink settings in BlueIris looks like:View attachment 179564

If you need help, you need to share details about what you've tried.
Thank you you all !! i figure it out ! It was actually the the Password of the Blue iris have to match the password of the camera that i set in REOLINK app !

Reaction score
Success hooking up the POE version of this doorbell and still getting my old-school mechanical chime powered by 24V AC Transformer to work!

So I got this in the mail this week:

Here is a photo of the page in case it goes away:

1702693195396.png

I wanted to find something I could power off the 24V transformer I have and to my very-non-savvy eyes it looked at least plausible that it would work.

To start, here is a boring photo of my transformer which I show only to make the point that I definitely disconnected the wires before fooling around:

Transformer.jpg

Next up, here are the two manual pages I got with the receiver. Note that you do not get remotes with this kit even though the manual says you do:

Manual1.jpg

This unit can be powered off 9VDC so I grabbed a 9V battery and hooked it up.

After programming when you press the button on the Reolink the relay on Channel 1 closes and you go from open switch to closed (infinite resistance to none across NO and COM.

I must admit to some ignorance here because I thought it was gonna pass the power from the input out the NO and COM ports. Oops...

I was able to program it easily according to the instructions on page 2 shown here:

Manual2.jpg

The first problem I had was that the unit is rather large relative to my chime:

SizeOfUnit.jpg

I had to pull it out of the plastic case entirely to even have a shot at getting it under the cover after it was wired up. For those wondering the black and white wires go to the capacitor that I had installed for my previous Transformer powered Wifi doorbell. This was removed.

You now also know as much about my chime as I do. Its.... mechanical.... And you can see the wiring diagram on the right. I have a back doorbell (simple switch still) so thats connected as well, but the idea is you have one leg of the transformer always connected (middle screw) and then the "switch loop" connected to one of the other screws. The switch loop supports the old 1950s button doorbell where you pressed and now both legs of the transformer are connected and it goes ringy dingy...

Did I mention there are two channels? I could add a Reolink to the backdoor too with this receiver.

Here is the chime with that other stuff removed. You can see the wire corresponding to the switch loop and the one connected to the tranformer leg. Who knows which is which and I dont think it matters with AC (someone fact check that pls) as long as you dont create a short circuit!

Chime Cleaned up.jpg

So going back to that first manual page, my clever plan was to:

1) Connect the switch loop wires at my front door together (meaning get rid of the simple button switch if you still have it and connect the wires. This will give you both legs of the Transformer going to the chime where we will install the unit. These two wires power it.

2) I should have photo-d this part better but you jumper one of those transformer legs into the COM port on which-ever channel you programmed.

2a) Then jumper another wire from the "other" power connector to the middle screw on the chime and run a wire from the NO connector to the upper screw (thats the front door on my chime).

Here is a high quality drawing:

(remember one of those wires coming from the transformer is going past your front door but you removed the button switch and connected the two sides of the wire together so the unit always has power)

wiring.jpg
Here is a sort-of-helpful photo of the finished work: Note the brown wires are indeed connected to separate posts.

Finished.jpg

So I connected my transformer back up in the basement and sent the boy out to press the button on the Reolink (mostly to keep him outside the blast radius).

It works!

The only problem is that the relay stays closed for a solid 3 seconds which means you get that "buzzing" sound on the chime like when someone who doesn't understand doorbells holds the button down. This may be the reolink itself sending the signal for that long.

But Ill take it.

Hope this was helpful!

Attachments

Last edited:

mrxyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally had some time on my hands again. I'm almost done with the wire implementation of sending images. Once that is set, all I need to do is grab a screenshot and sent it to my phone via Wire once somebody presses the doorbell or the PIR alarm goes off. Btw, the thing above is also quite nice, but I prefer my USB relay solution :)

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm new here and I've just purchased the POE version for £79 which is around $100.53 all in. This is my first video doorbell and I didn't choose the likes of Ring is because of the closed eco-system and more or less forced use of their cloud services.

I'll be using the POE version with the following POE Switch:

I am looking to use the following software as an NVR:

This will be hooked up to a M1 Mac Mini, and an external hard drive for continuous recording. I won't be using a Micro SD

I decided to get this 8 port switch as I will probably add at least one more network camera later on. I have no wiring to the door so I'll be drilling a 16mm hole potentially to get the pre-terminated cat 6 cable and then routing the cable along the carpet/skirting board to my network setup. I know a lot of people will probably say it's better to terminate myself, but I don't have the tools to do so and I don't plan to stay in this house much longer so I'm looking to make things easy for myself when it comes to install and removal.

I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with:
  • I'd love to set this up so it is not available over the internet. But does that mean I can't use the door bell / 2 way features over say 4G/5G/LTE or another WiFi network? If I do set this up so it doesn't have access to the internet, what is the best method? The switch will have access to the internet as I'll have other devices running on it. I've heard Eufy users get hacked and that worries me.
  • I'm not too fussed about rich notifications but I take it they're not available at all on the POE version or is there a walk around?
  • How many users can you have use this and respond to the doorbell?
  • Any beginner tips?
All that is now is to wait for the Amazon parcel which is worrying as I have to give out a one time code to the delivery driver, and they're notorious for theft of parcels that require codes as they know they're valuable. Massive problem in the UK read here if you are curious: