New Ring Alarm System 199

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ring is releasing a new alarm system at a great price point. 199 gets you a base station, keypad and motion sensor, door/window sensor, and a range extender. It can be preordered on amazon, which owns ring.
https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Home-Security-Kit/dp/B07D7Q6CHB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1529028910&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ring+alarm&psc=1

While Ring cameras and doorbells are crap, their alarm system is a great value considering its price and that CELLULAR based monitoring is only 10 dollars a month no contract or 100 per year. You will not find cellular monitoring at this price.

The additional accessories and sensors are very reasonably priced. I am surprised.
Security System

Yes, hardwired systems are best but nearly impossible to install properly after construction. Vista panels are nice and can support wireless sensors but still lots of work for most and you will still pay more for cellular monitoring and remote control of the system, wont be anywhere near 10 bux. This will be a game changer in the self install market. Competition like nest and abode should be worried.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very interesting, blows the crazy overpriced nest protect out of the water. Cheapest cellular monitoring for traditional panels is around $15/mo.

This Ring alarm is dual path (internet and cellular) so the amount of cellular traffic will be pretty low resulting in the low monthly cost. I certainly don't love their doorbells, but more engineering effort went into the Ring doorbells and the nest Hello doorbell than the likes of the Hik/LaView/Dahua doorbells.

Last edited:

svc

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow! I agree that Ring alarm system price along with 24/7 professional monitoring with cellular backup for only $10 a month is an amazingly great value. I was planning to buy Abode alarm system but now it seems prudent to wait and see. Since Amazon now owns Ring, it's possible that they may be doing this at a loss (or minimal profit) to gain market share.

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure why you would not be suspicious of the alarm system quality and function given how crappy their other products are unless you have actually tested it. Just because something is a better deal than the competitors doesn't mean it is any good.
Maybe you can test it out and give us a review.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why you would not be suspicious of the alarm system quality and function given how crappy their other products are unless you have actually tested it. Just because something is a better deal than the competitors doesn't mean it is any good.
Maybe you can test it out and give us a review.
Because its not reliant on the wifi signal and issues with video transmission that plagues wifi doorbells (the base station can be plugged in via ethernet). This is not new technology. You can test it for yourself, amazon has a 30 day return period. Hikvisions and dahua doorbells are shit, their cameras are great.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
True....Seems like everyone's doorbell cams are shit.

Part of me would also just hate to give Ring any more money though since we're stuck with the crapbell.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wierd...It's listed on Amazon as "#1 new release" already somehow and not even sold yet...but the category is in the wall safe category?
Wonder if they just pay up for the fake ratings and someone goofed the category.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
True....Seems like everyone's doorbell cams are shit.

Part of me would also just hate to give Ring any more money though since we're stuck with the crapbell.
No sure why you are stuck with the bell, they have a return policy and amazon takes stuff back well after 30 days if its defective in some way.
If you would rather pay another provider 15-30 bux a month for monitoring and remote access to stick it to ring that is your choice, but it makes no financial sense. With ring its only 10 a month or 100 for 12 months, 8.33 monthly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wierd...It's listed on Amazon as "#1 new release" already somehow and not even sold yet...but the category is in the wall safe category?
Wonder if they just pay up for the fake ratings and someone goofed the category.
its available for preorder, trust me they have lots.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just a weird situation...sister bought it (Ring doorbell) for our mom at Christmas...it sat uninstalled until this month when I came to the realization no one else would do it...so then I see it is crap and am already 6 months out. It was from Sam's. Oh well, procrastination costs sometimes.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you know they'll label their own products with whatever they want if they think it will sell better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a weird situation...sister bought it (Ring doorbell) for our mom at Christmas...it sat uninstalled until this month when I came to the realization no one else would do it...so then I see it is crap and am already 6 months out. It was from Sam's. Oh well, procrastination costs sometimes.
sams club allows returns at any time just like costco. This does not fall into the "camera" category, that is for actual photo cameras.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Was reading some of the FAQs, in the extender description, says its zwave.
I think this is a good thing for an alarm, zwave is really secure from my understanding. Once a device is paired, it only talks to that controller.
Too bad it looks like there is no way to integrate this with an existing wired alarm.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, could they have made the keypad anymore butt ugly?
Probably, at least it's thin and small.

Look back at pictures of some of the old self contained alarms like the Honeywell Lynx, GE Simon, Visonic PowerMax, Radio Shack X10, and even the brand new DSC iotega. There are quite a few old alarm systems that are much uglier. Some of these were like mounting a phone book to your wall.

Could ring have easily made the keypad more attractive, absolutely.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I was plan on building my own alarm system using a different brand but this got my attention now. I wondered if their Z-Wave will allow us to incorporated it with other devices like a SmartHome hub. We are a Deaf family so anything that speaks are worthless to us.

Also with the new smoke and CO detector that will alert to our smartphone look like something we need. I noticed most CO detector say that their sensor is only good for 5 years and the unit needed to be replaced, I wonder if applies the same to this detector but at 40 a piece is about the same price range that a good CO detector alone cost at Wally Mart.

The cellular part, is that used to be able to monitor the alarm to your phone or for a different purpose? I am sure it connect to your home internet allow you to monitor it from your smartphone but would it be free?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was plan on building my own alarm system using a different brand but this got my attention now. I wondered if their Z-Wave will allow us to incorporated it with other devices like a SmartHome hub. We are a Deaf family so anything that speaks are worthless to us.

Also with the new smoke and CO detector that will alert to our smartphone look like something we need. I noticed most CO detector say that their sensor is only good for 5 years and the unit needed to be replaced, I wonder if applies the same to this detector but at 40 a piece is about the same price range that a good CO detector alone cost at Wally Mart.

The cellular part, is that used to be able to monitor the alarm to your phone or for a different purpose? I am sure it connect to your home internet allow you to monitor it from your smartphone but would it be free?
I doubt the ring alarm will have the versatility you need or work with many other zwave devices (they want to sell their sensors).
All CO detector require periodic replacement. The First Alert Zwave detector works with other devices.

The paid monitoring option is monitored by a central station that will contact police dispatch if needed. You can self monitor over the internet for free.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I doubt the ring alarm will have the versatility you need or work with many other zwave devices (they want to sell their sensors).
All CO detector require periodic replacement. The First Alert Zwave detector works with other devices.

The paid monitoring option is monitored by a central station that will contact police dispatch if needed. You can self monitor over the internet for free.

I read the Q/A which most was answered yesterday on the Amazon site and you're correct. They not integrating it with other smart hub devices even Alexa won't work with it at this time but they said it may change in future.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - Costco selling Ring Alarm Wireless 10-piece Security Kit for $239.99 with free shipping for Costco Wholesale members. This is a pre-order for delivery on 07/13/2018. ( deal posted on another forum )

Costco Wholesale

The kit includes:
  • Base Station
  • Keypad
  • Range Extender
  • Motion Detector
  • 6 Contact Sensors

GaryFunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI - Costco selling Ring Alarm Wireless 10-piece Security Kit for $239.99 with free shipping for Costco Wholesale members. This is a pre-order for delivery on 07/13/2018. ( deal posted on another forum )

Costco Wholesale

The kit includes:
  • Base Station
  • Keypad
  • Range Extender
  • Motion Detector
  • 6 Contact Sensors
Is this the new version or old stock?