New Ring Alarm System 199

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good points for me to consider, Camit. OTOH with the Costco choice I could return it at (pretty much) any time in the future if for some reason I decide the Ring system is not to my liking.
The one thing I don’t like about the system is when the alarm is triggered the base station siren could be louder, I don’t think it’s loud enough. With my upstairs bedroom door shut and my fan on the base station siren wouldn’t wake me up but with the keypad in the bed hall right by my door it helps. Ring a also just released The dome siren which again could be much louder. I guess I’m just used to my Honeywell system where it was ear piercing loud

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It Would be nice to have a loud siren in the 2 bay garage.
Give it time ring alarm is still somewhat new, a lot of user are pissed about the dome siren because it is too quiet. Ring will fix it,also you can set up a Notification on your android phone that screams super loud. I used the app zedge to download a super loud Notification when my ring alarm goes off

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as a intruder can hear it, it’s a deterrent. But ear piercing siren is better.

gamer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The one thing I don’t like about the system is when the alarm is triggered the base station siren could be louder, I don’t think it’s loud enough. With my upstairs bedroom door shut and my fan on the base station siren wouldn’t wake me up but with the keypad in the bed hall right by my door it helps. Ring a also just released The dome siren which again could be much louder. I guess I’m just used to my Honeywell system where it was ear piercing loud
Couldn't agree more. I purchased the dome siren with hopes that it would be loud and to have door chirps come through it because the keypad doesn't provide that sound, the base station does. I think with customer feedback Ring will make updates, but I hope I don't have to get new equipment to have what I would want.

gamer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well depends on a lot of things on a Second keypad, If your house is a larger home you could put the Second keypad in a bedroom,where the base station may not be heard. The keypads have speaker on them which alert you of enter/exit delay, if you have that setup. In my situation I need 2 keypads one is by the garage door as you exit the home the other is in the bedroom hallway . At night when I set the alarm it’s put into home mode but it will also use the motion sensors in my living room,kitchen and basement and these sensors are setup for a no Delay ,so once triggered it immediately sounds the alarm,having the keypad in the bedroom hall prevents tripping the alarm. So it really depends on house size and how you wanna setup system I like to have my motion sensors on at night. so I need second keypad in the bed hall,also note the system will alert for 30 seconds if there is a security breach if the system is not dissed armed rapid response will call you after 30 seconds . However the signal is sent immediately .

the ring keypads are a mat white.. Costco keypads are like a glossy, white. So if you don’t like glossy white I wouldn’t go with costco
Camit I have a two story house and use two keypads. If you don't mind please tell me how you get door chirp tones through your keypad? I want my keypads to play the chirp tones through my keypads as well as the base station. Thanks!

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Camit I have a two story house and use two keypads. If you don't mind please tell me how you get door chirp tones through your keypad? I want my keypads to play the chirp tones through my keypads as well as the base station. Thanks!
I never said the door chirps worked through the keypads where did you get this information ? The door chirps only work on base station not even dome siren as you know as them

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On this system, when the network connection is lost, what happens? And how long does it take for that to happen?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On this system, when the network connection is lost, what happens? And how long does it take for that to happen?
If you pay for the professional monitoring 10 per month you also get a 4g att back up. Happens immediately

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay. I knew about the cellular monitoring, but is the cellular path on "all the time" or does it get engaged if and when the network path dies? If the latter, then what is the transfer time?

What I'm trying to understand is whether there is a potential "dead window" time that could be used by a potential intruder if the network is brought down.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay. I knew about the cellular monitoring, but is the cellular path on "all the time" or does it get engaged if and when the network path dies? If the latter, then what is the transfer time?

What I'm trying to understand is whether there is a potential "dead window" time that could be used by a potential intruder if the network is brought down.
Your over thinking it.. yes the system uses your home internet (WiFi or LAN) as the primary connection,once it no longer sees that connection it resorts to the back up connection (AT&T 4g). It doesn’t matter what the Signal is lan or 4g the monitoring company will still receive it when the alarm is triggered . Also if your worried about the time that it might which, stop because the monitoring company ( rapid response ) doesn’t even call you until 30 seconds after the alarm has went off,unless it was a smoke alert or CO. This is how most companies do it .

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone. I purchased the Costco 10 piece kit. Good member price ($240). I calculated what the extra cost would be to get to the same 14 piece kit as shown on sale directly from Ring, and it comes out still to be a bit less through Costco. I figured too that Costco would be a better route because of their generous return policy, if needed.

Last edited:

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So if this is OT for this thread, somebody please point me in the right (thread, if it already exists) direction - what is the optimal arrangement of motion detectors vs. point of entry sensors?

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For anyone who is a Costco member, Costco is having a sale on their 10 piece Ring Security system kit. $200.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lost internet yesterday for 12 hours due to a downed line and I was still getting alerts from the ring. I know there's a cell module inside but I never signed up for any plans. Are alerts offered for free over their cell module if ISP is down?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lost internet yesterday for 12 hours due to a downed line and I was still getting alerts from the ring. I know there's a cell module inside but I never signed up for any plans. Are alerts offered for free over their cell module if ISP is down?
for the first 30 days, otherwise its part of the 8.33 monthly fee.

Last edited:
Reactions: NVR

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for this info, it looks like Im going into the 3rd month soon, maybe an extended promotion. I cant believe whats bundled in this system for the price.

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What’s nice about having cameras also is when your away and the alarm company calls on your cell that the alarm was set off and that they alerted the police. Then you drive 20 minutes back and reset the alarm after finding you left a door open when you originally left. Then you think “I guess the police where here and left already.” Go back later,check the cameras and find out you beat the SWAT team there by a good 30 minutes.