New Ring Alarm System 199

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this info, it looks like Im going into the 3rd month soon, maybe an extended promotion. I cant believe whats bundled in this system for the price.
Hi @NVR, sorry to drag to up after so long, but are you still being covered? How did you determine that you were still under coverage with 4G?

kfmfe04

n3wb
Reaction score
The only small issue I've had was speaker degradation (on the keypad) - it died during the first week and it looks like it's about to die again after a year. The first time, they sent a replacement unit within a week. If you're on the $99/year plan, unit replacement is covered. I think I'll give them a call this week.

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the last few days my keypad has been dropping Offline at least once a day. Going to Keypad->Settings->Advanced->Reconfiguration to get it to come back Online works, but it will then drop off within a day. I wonder if it's failing? Nothing else hooked up wirelessly is dropping off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the last few days my keypad has been dropping Offline at least once a day. Going to Keypad->Settings->Advanced->Reconfiguration to get it to come back Online works, but it will then drop off within a day. I wonder if it's failing? Nothing else hooked up wirelessly is dropping off.
How far is it from the base station or a repeater?

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How far is it from the base station or a repeater?
The keypad is at the top of the stairs just inside my bedroom and the repeater is at the bottom of the stairs. Standard length staircase. It'd been working fine since the day of installation up until about three days ago.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The keypad is at the top of the stairs just inside my bedroom and the repeater is at the bottom of the stairs. Standard length staircase. It'd been working fine since the day of installation up until about three days ago.
strange. You should call them.

jjp44343

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It really bothers me I bought and installed this system only to find out there is no way to add glass break sensors. I have Alexa Guard setup but is there anything else I can do?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It really bothers me I bought and installed this system only to find out there is no way to add glass break sensors. I have Alexa Guard setup but is there anything else I can do?
You can return it and pay triple for monitoring. You can simply use a motion sensor.

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My house has two sets of double doors and a large window-all facing the backyard. Since smashing through the doors at the back of our houses has been the preferred entry point of thieves-I have three motion sensors-one per double door and the window.
Far more reliable than the glass break sensors.

Search glass break sensor test on YouTube and you’ll see how unreliable they are.

jjp44343

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can return it and pay triple for monitoring. You can simply use a motion sensor.
I don’t trust the motion sensors with the animals. Maybe I will run some tests if it’s possible to disconnect from monitoring temporarily.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t trust the motion sensors with the animals. Maybe I will run some tests if it’s possible to disconnect from monitoring temporarily.
It’s very easy to temporarily turn off monitoring. Go into settings select monitoring and select self monitor.

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two dogs: 20 lb and 40 boxer. No issues once I installed them as per the directions.

Rollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Ring Alarm will finally be available in the UK in 2 weeks. I've been following this thread since last year so I'm glad the wait is over !

Prices seem similar to America - Monitoring is £8 a month or £80 a year which I expect I'll sign up for.

opus too

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can solder this YouTube shows how to convert a door sensor to an external contact input.

Reaction score
So the much anticipated (at least by me) Ring Retrofit Alarm kit has turned out to be a huge disappointment. It is up on Amazon for pre-order and will ship on Dec. 11th. I was eager to see how this integrated into an existing alarm, so I downloaded the .pdf manual for it.

Gleaned from the manual is the fact it really does not integrate with an existing alarm system. At least that is what I believe after reading the install manual, attached to this post. The retrofit kit only allows 8 zones, that use 2-wire (not 4) sensors that essentially are door/window sensors and little else. You need to physically remove the wires for the sensors you want to integrate from the old alarm system, and connect them to the retrofit kit. This is not what I was expecting. I ASSUMED that it would translate the codes like an Alula device would, and transmit that info to the Ring Alarm. Wow, big, wrong assumption.

At any rate, I won't be going with this device as it is actually cheaper and cleaner to go with the Alula device, which I will looking into much more. If anyone can discern more about how this can interface with an existing alarm, please post it here.

Honestly, for the types of wired sensors it will handle, you are better off just buying the Ring versions. In fact, the Ring alarm already comes with door sensors, so why bother.

Attachments

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does Ring support glass breaking sensors?

99.999% of all the burglaries in our area, the burglar will smash the rear sliding glass door> They never, ever slide the door open. So those sliding sensors are a bit useless. The motion sensor would be better.

Reaction score
Does Ring support glass breaking sensors?

99.999% of all the burglaries in our area, the burglar will smash the rear sliding glass door> They never, ever slide the door open. So those sliding sensors are a bit useless. The motion sensor would be better.
Only sensors I know of, are the:
- Door/window sensor
- Motion Detection sensor
- Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Z-Wave Sensors (specific model) made by First Alert

Other sensors available may trigger a notification in the App, but they will not notify the monitoring station.

We all have heard they are working on developing other sensors, but no mention of what they will be. I have the Ring Alarm, used strictly as a back-up to my existing system. Ring is more about marketing, than it is actual function.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the much anticipated (at least by me) Ring Retrofit Alarm kit has turned out to be a huge disappointment...The retrofit kit only allows 8 zones, that use 2-wire (not 4) sensors that essentially are door/window sensors and little else.
Well that's one way to idiot proof it. I'm guessing the zones also run on 5V or some multiple of 3.7 instead of 12V.

Technically, you could hook up hard wired motion sensors and glass breaks (using an external power source), but you probably couldn't set them as anything other than a door/window sensor which would be trouble.

Last edited: