New Sunba Illuminati

Blackdogs2

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking at getting this camera it has a very unique auto tracking system.

My question is, If I hook this up to BI software...can I still access and use the cameras special build in tracking system
or does BI now call the shots on what the camera can do as far as auto tracking?

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and stay away from Sunba, Reolink, Foscam, etc.
Stick with legit Dahua's and Hikvisions.
Auto tracking is strictly a function of the camera, and in a lot of case's it's completely worthless.

clubbevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny, I was just looking at that camera on amazon wondering if BI / SecuritySpy would do away with the auto track as soon as it sent an auto config onvif profile to it.
If what looney2ns is saying is true, then that would negate ever buying and auto track camera if you want to run software NVR and nothing else . I have zero interest in
using a camera with a web browser. If it won't work with BI or SS, I'm not into it. Sunba is on the list of compatible cams for SS. SS seems way more fluid with ease of access to event files than BI
and does not eat CPU resources like Whitney Houston eats crack. That said, BI seems to support more off brand cams then SS. Unfortunately not all of us can afford a $5k speed dome.

clubbevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Auto tracking is strictly a function of the camera, and in a lot of case's it's completely worthless.
Could you please elaborate more on the tracking thing with a software based NVR like BI or SS ?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Auto track is a function of the camera. BI does not change camera settings. The only thing BI does is manually under user direct pan tilt zoom. BI will allow auto track in the camera to work just fine. There are a number of posts on the forum with video of BI recording an Auto track camera.

Please buy a quality camera, Dahua or Hikvision, it will be easier to set up and get running.

I recommend use multiple fixed cameras to cover the area needed.

clubbevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Auto track is a function of the camera. BI does not change camera settings. The only thing BI does is manually under user direct pan tilt zoom. BI will allow auto track in the camera to work just fine. There are a number of posts on the forum with video of BI recording an Auto track camera.

Please buy a quality camera, Dahua or Hikvision, it will be easier to set up and get running.

I recommend use multiple fixed cameras to cover the area needed.
Im currently running a segregated Vlan with 16 off brand 3 and 4 mp bullet cams all POE between 2 buildings . Recording everything 24x7 + all triggered events. Paranoia confirmed....
I have been working with BI for 6 years but that does not mean I know what I'm doing.
Im looking for just 1 speed dome but most the ones I've tried went straight back to amazon because they just flat out are not stable or won't work at all.
Most amazon sellers are lying about the capabilities or the resolution. I see the game they are playing by putting in firmware that reports functionality that does not exist
and I suspect the firmware is lying to the software about its resolution also. It would seem that a 20 to 30x speed dome that works for under $500 is a tough nut to crack.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im currently running a segregated Vlan with 16 off brand 3 and 4 mp bullet cams all POE between 2 buildings . Recording everything 24x7 + all triggered events. Paranoia confirmed....
I have been working with BI for 6 years but that does not mean I know what I'm doing.
Im looking for just 1 speed dome but most the ones I've tried went straight back to amazon because they just flat out are not stable or won't work at all.
Most amazon sellers are lying about the capabilities or the resolution. I see the game they are playing by putting in firmware that reports functionality that does not exist
and I suspect the firmware is lying to the software about its resolution also. It would seem that a 20 to 30x speed dome that works for under $500 is a tough nut to crack.
Nope, several Dahuas, that can be had for less then $500.00 if you stick with known good vendors.
Don't do camera research on Ebay or Amazon, plenty of reviews here of many cams.
On a real computer, study the Cliff Notes.
Review-Dahua SD42212T-HN 2mp Starlight 12x PTZ | IP Cam Talk
Review-Dahua SD6CE245U-HNI Starlight PTZ 45x Zoom | IP Cam Talk
From a reliable vendor: Amazon.com : Loryta SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera Support PoE+ English Version : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

clubbevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope, several Dahuas, that can be had for less then $500.00 if you stick with known good vendors.
Don't do camera research on Ebay or Amazon, plenty of reviews here of many cams.
On a real computer, study the Cliff Notes.
Review-Dahua SD42212T-HN 2mp Starlight 12x PTZ | IP Cam Talk
Review-Dahua SD6CE245U-HNI Starlight PTZ 45x Zoom | IP Cam Talk
From a reliable vendor: Amazon.com : Loryta SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera Support PoE+ English Version : Camera & Photo
So it would appear that its in the $700 ballpark for auto track. Now that the wife has seen an auto track cam, that's what she wants me to get but I don't have $700 to spend on one.
That only leaves me the SUNBA illuminati for $460 or the Bioxo auto track for $379. I suspect the Bioxo might be garbage and who knows about the new sunba. but I have to stay under $500
for something that has decent zoom with line crossing auto track.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So it would appear that its in the $700 ballpark for auto track. Now that the wife has seen an auto track cam, that's what she wants me to get but I don't have $700 to spend on one.
That only leaves me the SUNBA illuminati for $460 or the Bioxo auto track for $379. I suspect the Bioxo might be garbage and who knows about the new sunba. but I have to stay under $500
for something that has decent zoom with line crossing auto track.
Man, I wouldn't spend $460 for an off-brand camera when for not much more you can get a Dahua. I have 2 - $500-600 Dauha auto-trackers and it works to my satisfaction 25% of the time max!

clubbevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Man, I wouldn't spend $460 for an off-brand camera when for not much more you can get a Dahua. I have 2 - $500-600 Dauha auto-trackers and it works to my satisfaction 25% of the time max!
I did see the Dahua after reading the cliff notes. it sounds like you are not impressed with the auto track feature . Or am I reading it wrong ?

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did see the Dahua after reading the cliff notes. it sounds like you are not impressed with the auto track feature . Or am I reading it wrong ?
Not impressed overall but when it works it's sorta cool. The faster the moving object, the worse the auto tracking for me.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As a fellow member has mentioned, that owns several AT cams, if you depend on auto-tracking, it will piss you off.
You are almost always better off having more properly installed fixed cams than a PTZ.

clubbevis

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree. I already have 16 poe fixed cams running. I need a auto tracking cam for a 200' look down a driveway with a tripwire when anyone or anything crosses that line.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I too got caught up with the Auto-Track bug, Bought 2 different cameras. Do yourself a favor, listen to Looney. You’re only going to be disappointed. It’s real cool when it works, but will never meet your expectations. You will end up spending untold amount of time tweaking it trying to improve performance.
Get a stationary zoom camera (best, DAhua with Andy) and you will never be disappointed. Mostly, initialize it, mount it, set triggers, IVS and exposures and be done with it.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The auto tracking on my Dahua is a joke compared to my Hikvisions:

I also have two Sunba's that I've had for 3 years and they have been flawless. But what really got my attention on the new Sunba Illuminati is that the menu's are identical to my Hikvision auto tracking cameras.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As a fellow member has mentioned, that owns several AT cams, if you depend on auto-tracking, it will piss you off.
You are almost always better off having more properly installed fixed cams than a PTZ.
They just don't have very good AT cameras. My Hikvision cameras are awesome and tracking solidly 90% of the time. Between my two Hikvisions in the front, I get 95% of all license plates even at night.

clubbevis

n3wb
Reaction score
The auto tracking on my Dahua is a joke compared to my Hikvisions:

I also have two Sunba's that I've had for 3 years and they have been flawless. But what really got my attention on the new Sunba Illuminati is that the menu's are identical to my Hikvision auto tracking cameras.
Thats because the Illuminati is a collaboration between Sunba and Hikvision. Sunba is responsible for the hardware and Hikvision is responsible for the software interface and lens module software / firmware