New System Advice as well as Thank You! to contributors

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
First, I'd like to say thank you for the great information I have found from members such as SouthernYankee, loony2ns, Andy from EMPIRETECANDY, @matt200 and @giomania (for the cliff notes). I'm sure there are others so than you. Great information, but cost me a lot of sleep late night reading! :)

Anyway, I'm a noob here so I'll try my best to set the stage and I'll apologize in advance for the novel.

I have spent a countless hours reviewing the Wiki, the Cliff notes, peoples posts, etc. Overall the information has been immensely helpful in narrowing down my design. I feel I have it to a point where I would like to request some member feedback if possible.

Design Overview:
I have a two story house, but it's a cape cod style which means I have eaves around the full first floor. Based on the odd footprint, I'm planning on 6 outdoor cameras on the first floor for a solid mix of coverage vs. Cost. they will be mounted about 8ft high on each corner of the house, one above the front door and one above the rear sliding glass door.

I am currently getting the roof replaced along with soffits so I have the option to wire and plan mounting now. While I realize there are challenges with Dome cameras that I will have to live with My wife gets a vote on aesthetics, I get the system and get to deal with the IR reflection. I'd also like to have them as "recessed as possible" in the soffit and have the option if needed to get to the wooden eaves above. I'll make an run my own Cat6.

I have also considered Blue Iris, but for ease of installation (I'm hoping) plan on just getting the matching NVR for the camera line I’m looking to purchase. I love tinkering so may upgrade to BI down the line.

My Wishlist and questions regarding a full Dahua system:

Cameras: I am ideally looking for Starlight cameras with the 1/1.8" Sensor for the strong low-light performance. I understand that 4K isn't always better, especially as it relates to night-vison.

That said, first question is related to the 8MP IPC-HDBW5842H-ZHE. If the quality is turned down to 4MP stream would that provide a similar night performance as a 5442 camera? I realize it's dumb to pay 50% extra to just turn it down, but curious in case I want to play around with the higher res.

Remaining questions are regarding the 5442 domes.
  1. Can the IPC-HDPW5442G-ZE recessed dome be mounted in a soffit? It shows no IPxx rating in the datasheet and the casing in plastic so I'm guessing no, but the mounting would be ideal for looks. However, I live in the mid-west so very cold and snowy winters will be a given.
  2. Can anyone help me with the difference in these four cameras? I have scoured their data sheets and posts and cannot find huge material difference. All I can find different I have listed below.
    IPC-HDBW5442H-ZHE
    IPC-HDBW5442E-ZHE
    IPC-HDBW5442H-ZE
    IPC-HDBW5442E-ZE

5442E-ZHE: the "H" in the ZHE I'm pretty sure is heater based on the naming convention in the cliff notes, but wanted to check since it's not really referenced in the datasheet beyond the summary line.
    5442E: POE+, Board-in Mount
    5442H: Standard POE and φ14 mount
My ignorance will be on full display here as I don't know what board-in mount means. I would guess that it can't be mounted to a junction box, but couldn't really find a definition even with google.

Lastly, I plan on leveraging Andy, so it may come down to what he can source if there aren't major differences in the cameras.

Thank you all for the information already provided on the site and in advance for any insight you may have to my questions.

JT

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To answer your question about turning down the resolution of an 8MP camera to 4MP...The problem is the 8MP sensor still has double the number of pixels compared to a same size 4MP sensor. That, in turn means each pixel receives half the light in a 8MP sensor versus a 4MP sensor. The performance at night will remain the same. chasing MP is not a good idea unless you're ready to pay $1000+ per camera, without a lens or enclosure.

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
To answer your question about turning down the resolution of an 8MP camera to 4MP...The problem is the 8MP sensor still has double the number of pixels compared to a same size 4MP sensor. That, in turn means each pixel receives half the light in a 8MP sensor versus a 4MP sensor. The performance at night will remain the same. chasing MP is not a good idea unless you're ready to pay $1000+ per camera, without a lens or enclosure.
sebastiantombs - That makes sense. Chasing the MP definitely isn’t worth $1,000+ in this case. Thanks!

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
While I realize there are challenges with Dome cameras that I will have to live with My wife gets a vote on aesthetics, I get the system and get to deal with the IR reflection.
To be honest - that makes no sense.
Why would you install something with well-known deficiencies when there are perfectly acceptable aesthetic alternatives?
Go back to first principles and ask yourself why you are doing this and why would you knowingly put obstacles in the way of an effective system.

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
To be honest - that makes no sense.
Why would you install something with well-known deficiencies when there are perfectly acceptable aesthetic alternatives?
Go back to first principles and ask yourself why you are doing this and why would you knowingly put obstacles in the way of an effective system.
I understand, but as much as I wish I did, I don't have full decision on finances when it comes to more pricy investments. It's a mini coup getting approval for the system. In the end, I think having a system with some limitations is better than no system which is the compromise I'm trying to work with. I'll keep sharing this forum's feedback with her as well to work on changing minds. If I do move to the turret, this is the one option in the 5 series with the 1/1.8" sensor, IPC-HDW5442T-ZE. Are there other recommended models? I was focused on domes, but I'll go back to the research stage as well.

Thanks for the reply!

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you, possible, confusing domes with turrets?
I don't think I am. My wife really likes the semi-hidden look of the dome. She feels the turret is more "in your face". Then again she loves watching old movies and I'm more of a modern war or Marvel's guy!

Just to be sure the camera's we looked at are below.
Turret/Eyeball: IPC-HDW5442T-ZE
Dome: IPC-HDBW5442E-ZHE

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, just wondering. A turret is actually lower "profile" since all but the lens area is white which leaves a relatively small black area versus a dome with the whole dome being a black pimple. I've found that unless I point out the cameras to most people, they don't even know that they're there, all turrets.

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, just wondering. A turret is actually lower "profile" since all but the lens area is white which leaves a relatively small black area versus a dome with the whole dome being a black pimple. I've found that unless I point out the cameras to most people, they don't even know that they're there, all turrets.
Thanks. I'm for sure going to share that feedback with her. I especially think it helps that our soffit is going from dark tan to white when these will go up. Should help hide it. She's comparing the camera colors against a tan now.

Appreciate the feedback!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Another possible issue with domes is at night so thy the IR or even external lighting reflecting back onto the inside of the dome cover. People have overcome this by placing tape or some other obstacle where the light is reflecting but you can avoid all the aggro by using turrets.

If you have access to the behind the softfit then you’d getaway without the need for a junction box which will make the mounted profile even smaller. Also the standard 5442 non tele cams are slightly smaller then the tele variant, so if you can work out which lens you need then the fixed lens cam will be even smaller.

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
Another possible issue with domes is at night so thy the IR or even external lighting reflecting back onto the inside of the dome cover. People have overcome this by placing tape or some other obstacle where the light is reflecting but you can avoid all the aggro by using turrets.

If you have access to the behind the softfit then you’d getaway without the need for a junction box which will make the mounted profile even smaller. Also the standard 5442 non tele cams are slightly smaller then the tele variant, so if you can work out which lens you need then the fixed lens cam will be even smaller.
Sounds like I just need to work harder to convince the wife. Thanks for the additional info.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, I'd like to say thank you for the great information I have found from members such as SouthernYankee, loony2ns, Andy from EMPIRETECANDY, @matt200 and @giomania (for the cliff notes). I'm sure there are others so than you. Great information, but cost me a lot of sleep late night reading! :)

Anyway, I'm a noob here so I'll try my best to set the stage and I'll apologize in advance for the novel.

I have spent a countless hours reviewing the Wiki, the Cliff notes, peoples posts, etc. Overall the information has been immensely helpful in narrowing down my design. I feel I have it to a point where I would like to request some member feedback if possible.

Thank you all for the information already provided on the site and in advance for any insight you may have to my questions.

JT
Welcome @JTSpeed

Thansk for reading the cliff notes and wiki, and thanks for thanking those who have helped out.

Re: Turret / Dome ...

Some brands mix the terms... like Lorex. ( which I am unhappy with the confusion that creates )

Technically they are different.

Dome are ones which have a plastic dome covering the camera's lens. In general we've found them to be problematic in many outdoor settings - and thus the general rule is to avoid them outdoors and go with turrets instead.