New system recommendation

Jim Reid

n3wb
Reaction score
We are currently in the process of remodeling a home and we are expecting to move in around Thanksgiving. During the remodel, I went ahead and ran Cat6 cable around the home all coming back to a media closet in the family room. It's now time to go ahead and purchase the security camera system and I'm looking for a little advice.

I currently have a Dell XPS 8300 desktop (Core i5 2nd gen @ 3.0 GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB system SSD, 3TB first media drive, 6TB second media drive) that used to be used for Windows Media Center/Extenders and is now used as a Plex server. All the TVs in the home will be either Roku TVs or have a Roku device connected to run the Plex app and they will also have Chromecast devices connected. In addition, we will have Google Home devices in each room, being a mixture of OG Home, Home Mini, Home Hub, or Lenovo Smart Display. We also have a Samsung Smartthings hub with ZWave doorlocks, light switches, etc. setup for some home automation.

I am looking to have 4 cameras and a video doorbell, with the possibility of adding a few more cameras later. I looked at the Nest ecosystem because I like the integration with Google Home/Home Hub/Lenovo Smart Display and Chromecast. However, there were some major drawbacks to it. These include WiFi only with no way of doing PoE, cloud only recording which makes it dependent on the Internet and eats upstream bandwidth, and (of course) the necessary monthly service fee.

I was looking at the Swann systems with their NVR-8580 because they have recently added Google Assistant support. It looks like this would give me full Ethernet connectivity with PoE, local recordings, and Google Home support (albeit less integrated than the Nest as it would require me to ask Google to display the camera while it looks like the Google Home Hub will be able to be automatically set to display the Nest Hello video feed upon someone ringing the bell). However, it does not appear Swann offers a video doorbell. Would I be able to connect a third party ONVIF compatible video doorbell to the Swann NVR, such as a Doorbird? Or is there another NVR system that would be recommended?

Alternatively, I was considering Blue Iris or Sighthound software in conjuntion with either my current media computer (or an upgrade if it isn't fast enough). I would then purchase a standalone PoE switch to power the cameras. Can either of those software systems be integrated with Google Assistant and the Google Home/Home Hub/Smart Display/Chromecast system?

One final thing I'm considering is to simply get the Swann system for the cameras and a Nest Hello for the doorbell. This would give me local recording using Ethernet connected PoE powered cameras with no monthly fee and some Google Assistant compatibility for the the majority of cameras and full Google Home Hub/Lenovo Smart Display compatibility for the doorbell.

Thoughts?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Jim Reid

Now is a great time to over cable - N+1. Use quality cable, not CCA wired.. solid copper

I used Grey PVC 3/4"+ conduit to get into tight spots in the attic - worked well, also helps protect cable vs critters.

The cabling job is the most critical - so get a test camera and start to play around with possible locations, try to mount cameras 6-8 feet high for better chances at getting a good ID image of suspects.

read the wiki notes - use the "bucket" test rig to test possible locations.

Remember if you do a good job with the cabling you can always add / change cameras and NVRs / switches / VMS products.

Jim Reid

n3wb
Reaction score
Study the Cliff Notes.
You'll not find much love around here for Nest and the like.
I looked through the Cliff Notes and found that they said "doorbell cameras are the only exclusion" to their recommendation to not use cloud based camera systems. I assume this is because of the currently limited selection of doorbell cameras. I did find on Doorbird's site that they officially connect to Hikvision NVRs, which leads me to your next suggestion...

Stick with Dahua or Hikvision.
Is there any way to link a Hikvision NVR with Google Assistant and Chromecast like how Swann now does?

Blue Iris is the best overall choice in recording options, running on a dedicated PC.
I did find information on integrating Blue Iris with Google Assistant and Chromecast, but it uses Home Assistant. That means I'd have to replace my Samsung Smatthings automation with Home Assistant, and I'm not really sure I have the time to go down that rabbit hole right now.

Jim Reid

n3wb
Reaction score
Now is a great time to over cable - N+1. Use quality cable, not CCA wired.. solid copper
Yep, I did a pretty good job of over cabling... There are 42 Ethernet runs coming to the media closet using solid copper Cat6 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W2FVPL)

Remember if you do a good job with the cabling you can always add / change cameras and NVRs / switches / VMS products.
My main concern now is that I'd like to get an NVR, camera, and doorbell camera system that works well with Google Home and Chromecast.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My main concern now is that I'd like to get an NVR, camera, and doorbell camera system that works well with Google Home and Chromecast.
Hi Jim,

Google Home and Chromecast - a lot of the "smart home" tech is still evolving, I would not place too high of a priority on those requirements compared to the basics of

1) Reliable
2) Able to potentially ID suspects
3) Able to use video for evidence. ( time stamps )

Seems like a lot of the Google Home compatibility requirements leads to "cloudy" cameras - and thus fail on #1, and #3 on the list above.

I would look and see what you can do with a Blue Iris PC based setup - as there should be significant flexibility there vs an NVR.

Jim Reid

n3wb
Reaction score
I would look and see what you can do with a Blue Iris PC based setup - as there should be significant flexibility there vs an NVR.
After doing some more reading on Home Assistant versus Smartthings, it looks like I am going to go down that rabbit hole, after all. So now my plan is to buy a new computer that is powerful enough to run Plex Media Server, Blue Iris, and a Linux VM with Home Assistant. This will give me the full access to all the advanced features of Blue Iris but also allow me to use Home Assistant to access my cameras via Google Assistant/Chromecast.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After doing some more reading on Home Assistant versus Smartthings, it looks like I am going to go down that rabbit hole, after all. So now my plan is to buy a new computer that is powerful enough to run Plex Media Server, Blue Iris, and a Linux VM with Home Assistant. This will give me the full access to all the advanced features of Blue Iris but also allow me to use Home Assistant to access my cameras via Google Assistant/Chromecast.
Dedicate a pc to blue iris...otherwise you will be in for all sorts of unexplained surprises. A vms should be installed on bare metal with nothing else running with it.

RoysWing

n3wb
Reaction score

Any luck with a blue Iris setup that integrates with Google's?