New to BI and still learning

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, Just joined. I have just set up a BI5 server with my Hikvision 4MP bullet cameras, and two new ReoLink 410 I am playing with.

I originally had set up a Cam Server using zoneminder on an old Dell r710 server. ZM was not for me as it was a nightmare to set up and upkeep and eventually failed about 3 years in. The transition to BI was painless and kicked myself for not going that way first.

Still have a lot to learn on BI. I got is set up but not fine tuned. Need to sit down and read through set up and the help section here.

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
at less than 50$ each, it was hard to pass up. Plus the reviews were pretty good. I may keep them inside. Though I will look at other brands for future cameras...

thanks for the PDF. Very nice... I have already wired my system and most cameras are in place. I am looking at adding a doorbell camera, and a few indoor/outdoor cameras around my garage to secure that properly. We live in urban environment so that is always a concern (leaving garage door open).

Are there any hopes of getting a POE doorbell cam anytime soon? when I wired the house, I did not think to run 16/30v copper to the front door. I think I have 4 wire alarm cable and cat 5/6 cable there.

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to reorganize my network and set up vlans. Is there any good advice on this? It is getting to be a mess and learning that I want to separate my cameras. I want to create three networks:

1. Home
2. IOT and guest network.
3. Security cameras
4. Alarm/home automation???

I also have my alarm/home automation system, and not sure where to place that. perhaps on its own network.

I have ubitquiti AP-Lite so from the research, I will need to do a VLan network if I want to be able to access each network through wifi?

I have a PFsense box with two additional ports on rear that I can also configure. I need to move to managed switches and Upgrade my Cisco managed switch (old 3750 10/100); it is a pain to set up and manage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
at less than 50$ each, it was hard to pass up. Plus the reviews were pretty good. I may keep them inside. Though I will look at other brands for future cameras...

thanks for the PDF. Very nice... I have already wired my system and most cameras are in place. I am looking at adding a doorbell camera, and a few indoor/outdoor cameras around my garage to secure that properly. We live in urban environment so that is always a concern (leaving garage door open).

Are there any hopes of getting a POE doorbell cam anytime soon? when I wired the house, I did not think to run 16/30v copper to the front door. I think I have 4 wire alarm cable and cat 5/6 cable there.
Reolink cameras are simply not compatible with blue iris despite their false assertion that they are. There are many threads explaining why the camera needs an iframe interval adjustment setting. I can sell you a pile of crap for 50 bux as well, doesnt mean its a good deal. Reolink reviews are lies. They pay others to go on amazon and write fake reviews. Reolinks own employees have come to this forum and posted positive reviews posing as end users.

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
understood. I will return them. Anyway, I need to find some cameras specific to where I plan to place them.