New to home security surveillance and need some advice

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I apologize in advance about some of my question :) I am sure they are noob questions that you have heard many times... again .. I apologize.

So... We are having a house built and I want to add home security cameras. So I got online and started to try to educate myself some but I still need some guidance. I had an idea of what I wanted for the house in my head so I hope you all can image make sense of it :p Our house is a two story house here in Florida ... So I picked up a ip 1080p PTZ for the front (Second floor) left corner of the house and another in the rear right (Second floor) so I could cover most of the house. I also bought two 1080p POE static cameras for the front patio and the rear patio as well. I bought the tow PTZ from aliexpress and the two static from Amazon. I also bought a NVR from aliexpress and a 4GB HDD from Amazon. What I am confused about is how to connect it all together? I thought NVR's had Ethernet slots on the back to connect the cameras but mine does not ... so I am guessing it is wifi? I will link the items below. So I am guessing I will need a switch or something but I am confused with them since some don't have internet port on them and only poe slots. I thought the two non-poe cameras would have to be connected to a Ethernet Injector/Splitter Kit to get power to them camera then to a switch. I just need help putting the pieces together :) I am trying to get the electrician to install a few outlets for me in the attic near the corners where the cameras will be to help me out.

Thank you for any advice you can provide :)

What I have -

NVR - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/IMPORX-cctv-camera-NVR-8CH-1HDD-with-P2P-support-High-profile-S-High-profile-G-Free/2035509644.html

Second floor front - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CCTV-1080P-2MP-20x-Zoom-auto-tracking-PTZ-ip-camera-motion-detection-High-Speed-With150M-Night/32521384155.html

Second floor rear - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/surveillance-MINI-ip-camera-ptz-1080p-HD-2MP-infrared-IR-Speed-Dome-outdoor-20X-optical-ZOOM/32621410321.html

Ethernet Injector/Splitter Kit - http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-1-Port-Ethernet-Injector-Splitter/dp/B000GYHRXI

Front and rear patio cameras - http://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Outdoor-Megapixel-Vandal-Security/dp/B01E7QMFIM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

HDD - http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Surveillance-ST4000VX002-Internal-Recovery/dp/B00PDDMAUM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah that would be fine, it'd replace the need for your injectors since it has PoE+ built in..

forget about Wifi. Wifi + IPCameras = Shit, your going to wire everything up nice and proper.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're approaching this a little backwards. Yes picking out cameras is more fun than planning wiring, but at this point that's what you should focus on.You should have some idea of the camera models and their vertical and horizontal viewing angles and what size/zoom lens is appropriate. Try http://ipvm.com/calculator

Cameras that are too high will mostly capture the tops of heads/hats/hoodies. this may man you have a camera on the wall 7-10' up instead of under the eave.
Focus on getting wires to locations you may want a camera in the future and don't forget the front door (no higher than the top of the door, and lower for an intercom / "door phone". Pull 2 cables to each location. Then pin down the cameras later.

While cameras are fun and useful and the point of this forum, don't neglect network drops on the interior of your house for computers, home theater, and other devices.

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think the 2 PTZ are POE that is why I thought I needed the injectors to make them POE?

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
So you think I should put the PTZ on front patio soffit? I just thought it would be more hidden on second floor but I get what you're saying. I do have 2 fixed Amcrest for the front and rear doors. I was going to install them on the ceiling on the patio.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you think I should put the PTZ on front patio soffit? I just thought it would be more hidden on second floor but I get what you're saying. I do have 2 fixed Amcrest for the front and rear doors. I was going to install them on the ceiling on the patio.
PTZ work better than most cameras up high, but pole mounted PTZ aren't exactly subtle anywhere. It's hard to say where cams should go without a lot more info.

My point was that it's better to plan ahead and run wires to more locations now so you can make changes easily in the future. Wire is cheap relatively speaking.

Look though various threads here for insight and pay attention to captures people post of their cams to help you think about FOV.

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting the first PTZ at the STAR but also considered the RED dot ... The star covers front and side of house.. That is why I wanted to put it at that location. What CAT wire should I run ? I think the run will be 50 to 75 feet for each... Is that a safe length?

Thank you

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
depends on what the primary idle area for this is going to be.. it can only look at one thing at a time, dont get the impression a PTZ on the corner of your house is the end all.. because its not, sure its capable of seeing 270 degrees, but thats only when your manning the device.. otherwise its a fixed camera.

I have a PTZ up high on the corner of a house, but its main role is to watch a vehicle parked on the street 60ft away at high zoom, secondary task is to watch the kids playing in the backyard from a high perspective.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting the first PTZ at the STAR but also considered the RED dot ... The star covers front and side of house.. That is why I wanted to put it at that location. What CAT wire should I run ? I think the run will be 50 to 75 feet for each... Is that a safe length?

Thank you ��
I strongly urge you to run some ethernet inside the house, at least between tv and office locations and a utility type space.
Ethernet is limited to 100M or 328'. Cat 5e or Cat 6 will be fine but only use solid copper cable no cca or stranded.

I'd probably put fixed cameras in the locations I marked A, B, and C. Angle A towards B and B towards A. Place a second cameras at B looking to the back.
location "C" is a little tricky, you'd probably want to come in above the cinder block.

Another good spot for a cam is inside the garage.

capth4u.png

Last edited by a moderator:

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand what you mean ��... I think I am good with the placement right now ...I can always add more to the other 2 corners. I just wanted to see how all this connects. I don't see Ethernet connections on the back of the NVR so how do the cameras connect? Do I connect the router to the NVR connects to the wifi ? Then I need a wifi splinter? I'm just need help understanding how these all connect and if I need something else?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whats your deal with Wifi, what does Wifi have to do with any of this? nothing you have is wireless, your a new install with new wires.. there is no wifi

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR.jpgI have no deal with wifi .... As I have said a few times ... I do not understand how the cameras connect to the NVR .... I am hoping someone can explain how this works since there is no Ethernet ports on the back of it for the cameras ... only 1 LAN port which I am guessing is for the router. Maybe I did not explain my issues well at first

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't want to be rude @capth4u, but I don't understand why consumers start buying products, and then start asking questions. Would it not make more sense to research first, discover equipment capabilities and flesh out one's personal requirements...and then start purchasing equipment?

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to find some information but was not able to find what I needed obviously and I happen to find this site and thought I could get some simple help

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats what the switch is for, all the cameras plug into the switch.. and so does your NVR.

it seems like you may be in over your head.. this is far from simple stuff, if you cant setup a network then you cant setup network cameras by definition either.

ENiGMA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your nvr doesn't have poe so it can't connect directly to the cameras, you need an additional poe switch between the two. All cameras connect to switch and switch connect to the ethernet port . There is no wifi for anything (everything is cable) unless you connect the switch to a wifi router too.

see this picture illustration

ip-camera-nvr-poe.jpghttp://www.cctv-auckland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ip-camera-nvr-poe.jpg

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you... I was thinking the NVR plugged into the router and that is how you can view remotely on the app ... I guess that is where my confusion started. So would I connect to the cameras with the app? So I guess I should just connect it to my workstation since it does not have to be near the router. Thanks fellas

ENiGMA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
>>NVR plugged into the router and that is how you can view remotely on the app
like on your phone? or over the internet? yes that's how it works. But not that simple because you don't want everyone else watching your "open" cameras

Can you explain what you want to achieve with the setup?