New to home security surveillance and need some advice

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
So the switch will have to have enough POE ports as cameras I have and/or want to install in the future .... So to connect the PC and NVR what do those ports need to be ? Also... The 2 PTZ cameras are not POE... is the "D-Link 1-Port 10/100 Power over Ethernet Injector/Splitter" what gives those 2 PTZ camera power (POE)?

My objective is to monitor my home .... I am thinking 2 PTZ that I can mess with if need be and the 2 fixed at the doors. I do want it secure of course ... Im guessing the software helps set things up? Do it matter how long the Ethernet runs are? Im guessing they will be about 50 to 75 feet. I will be able to go in an wire somethings up before they put the drywall up (Ethernet cables and power outlets near the 2 PTZ cameras if I cant make them POE with an adapter) Thank you again for your time and help :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried to find some information but was not able to find what I needed obviously and I happen to find this site and thought I could get some simple help
That's all we've been trying to do...

At this point, your focus needs to be on the wiring:
Where are the wires going?
Where do you want drops?
Who is going to install the wires?
When are the wires going to be installed?
What type of cable are you going to install / where are you going to get it?

From the look of your picture, the window of time you have to do any low-voltage wiring could be pretty small...

The prevailing opinion on this forum is that turret and bullet style cameras out perform domes (ir bleed/reflection, ir distance, fog, condensation, bugs). RE: NVR, some have a built in PoE switch and multiple ethernet ports others just have one port and you have to supply a switch.

regarding my earlier location suggestions, you actually might consider camera "C" on the arch looking back at the door. It could be a little high but would have a good view of packages on your porch and might get nice face shots as people leave depending on the exact placement. It's one of those spots where if somebody notices a camera they'll often look right at it :). I'd do something like a Dahua wedge style camera in that location (be warned models with wifi lack smart features and PoE).

Do yourself a favor and set aside decisions about cameras and other equipment that's easy to change or gets installed after the house is built and figure out what needs to happen with wires before the drywall goes up and insulation gets installed. Coordination with other trades is necessary (electrical, plumbing, hvac), it's often best to do most low voltage wiring after these trades are done but that leaves a very small window of time to get it done.

You should also plan ahead for some alternate camera locations.
If you only run wires to 2 spots and it turns out the don't work so well it's a lot harder to fix...

Lots of info on the net... search for pre-wiring a new house, wiring a house for ethernet, structured wiring, installing structured wiring during construction, etc.

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you ... I have to understand what all I need before I start to decide on how many wires to run or extra power outlets to install... this is why I wanted to know how to power these 2 ptz cameras since they are not poe ... should I get an power outlet installed near the camera location or can I make these poe... I thought I explained it well in the first post but I guess I did not.

I am going to run wires myself before the drywall goes up ... I already spoke to the electrician and he said all I had to do is run a wire from a ceiling light in the attic and then make a outlet near the camera location. Does it matter if its CAT5 or 6? I will run more ethernet cables to the other locations that I might add cameras in the future. My window will be one night to install these cable and outlets if needed.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no those injectors specifically will not work; they do not output nearly enough power..
it appears to be rated for 1A @ 12v (12W).. your camera specs claim 30W, which @ 12v = 2.5A

you should have purchased PoE PTZ's, life would be better right now.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you ... I have to understand what all I need before I start to decide on how many wires to run or extra power outlets to install... this is why I wanted to know how to power these 2 ptz cameras since they are not poe ... should I get an power outlet installed near the camera location or can I make these poe... I thought I explained it well in the first post but I guess I did not.

I am going to run wires myself before the drywall goes up ... I already spoke to the electrician and he said all I had to do is run a wire from a ceiling light in the attic and then make a outlet near the camera location. Does it matter if its CAT5 or 6? I will run more ethernet cables to the other locations that I might add cameras in the future. My window will be one night to install these cable and outlets if needed.
Another reason to run 2 cables to each location... if you have to you can use an entire cat-5e cable for power. You can also run something like some 16-2 with your pair of cat-5e in locations that are higher power draw or non poe. You'll need to pay more attention to cable length/gauge if you power the cables off a separate DC supply

It seems like you've committed yourself to some specific cameras and locations (that seem flawed) and don't really want advice. There are a lot of different considerations for wiring, but the basics you need are run cables from camera locations to a location where you'll have a rack or structured wiring panel and keep you cables out of the way of electricians, plumbers, and hvac. The tricky part is whether you put in a box where you might want a camera or if you do something so you can get the cable later by cutting a hole in the siding in just the right spot

You'll also want ethernet anywhere you plan on viewing the cameras, you're wifi may choke on the full res streams.

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMHO You'd be better off selling the cams you bought on ebay or canceling your order than spending $100 on that... not many PoE splitters that can output that much power

I also think you'd be better served by a number of much smaller turret/bullet/dome cameras. IIRC one of those PTZ you ordered was 13" tall... pretty monstrous for a residential area with houses that close together.

Wikipedia:
Power sourcing equipment (PSE) is a device such as a switch that provides (or sources) power on the Ethernet cable. The maximum allowed continuous output power per cable in IEEE 802.3af is 15.40 W. A later specification, IEEE 802.3at, offers 25.50 W.
bigger cam you picked claims 40W

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I guess it was 40w not 30w, eek.. going to have to run that off 24vac pretty much... something like this would power it up: http://www.amazon.com/Elk-TRG2440-24VAC-Transformer-Fuse/dp/B0007N5LJK

you'd want to run another pair for power, probably thermostat wire.. AC dont like being in twisted pairs.

none of your cameras have 120vac electrical cords on them, so I see absolutely no reason to install outlets nearby.. and really you dont want your power supplies to be outside and unsecured.. they need to be on battery backup in your structured wiring closet.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been brought up yet but your NVR isn't capable of recording the 3MP cameras you purchased unless you dumb them down.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
good catch, man this guy is striking out left and right.. I have no faith that he is capable of getting this up and running.. lot of money flushed away for a terrible system

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Well ... That sucks because the seller of the cameras recommend this NVR... Any recommendations then or maybe explain what I need so I can find it ? Why won't it work correctly? What is wrong with the power supply that comes with it? I'm short on time so I need this ironed out fairly soon ��

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NVR has a maximum recording resolution of 1920x1080, it'll work.. you'll just cant run the cameras at full resolution of 2048x1536.. none of this is going to be very plug and play.

it comes with a power supply? I suppose big PTZ like that might.. it'll probably be 24vac and wont work over power injectors.. it'll need its own wires.

sellers just want your money, they only sell you what they have access to.

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
image.jpegI can make outlets in the attic near the cameras I'll have one night to add things before the drywall goes up so I can run the Ethernet then and run the new outlets as well. 1080p is fine with me... I can always upgrade later if I need it. I also bought the corner brackets so ther will not stick out as far.

Which Ethernet cable would you recommend.. The CAT5 or just go with 6? Will these long runs make a difference in how long of a cable I can get ?

Thank you

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As for the CAT6 patch cable you linked to, I would not run flat wire (myself) but more importantly it specs 32AWG wire gauge. Stick with wire that's 22 or 24 gauge, solid copper. Most people pre-wire new homes with bulk cable, then terminate where needed.
32 AWG is not likely to work well for PoE, it could even be dangerous (more resistance = more heat and could even start a fire) 32 AWG has > 6 times the resistance per meter of 24AWG.

Do I need CM or CMR Ethernet cables and do these shorten my runs? I need about 50 to 75 ft
It isn't going to matter, technically you should probably get riser cable. Those designations just apply to the outer jacket of the cable. As before maximum length is 382 feet but PoE at that distance may not always work and is less efficient.

Most pre-terminated cables are stranded, another reason people run bulk cable. You also don't want a bunch of excess cable you have to do something with, another reason to avoid pre-term cable

Here are a couple guides on structured wiring:
This one is about speaker wire but still has lots of relevant info: http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20090529161700/ca/learningcenter/home/PDFs/NewConsSpeak.pdf
http://www.structuredhomewiring.com/Wiring/
http://swhowto.com/ (some content is a little dated but still useful overall)

Plenty of other discussion on other forums. Get 2 boxes or spools of cable so you can pull 2 to each location at the same time.

There are also lots of youtube videos, here are a couple:

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for that information :) How are these CAT6 cables below work well? Is this switch better because its managed? The builder doesn't want me to install anything for liability reasons... so the builder REP told me to do what ever I needed to AFTER the drywall inspection is done :) So I will have one night to run all this. I will need to figure out a way to remove the soffit so I can see what I am going to drill into... I am not sure how difficult that will be since I have never done it... Then I am planning on drilling trough the eave and then run the cables into the attic where I will install a power outlet for the camera and Ill already have the ethernet cable waiting there :) That is the idea I have in my head and I hope it works good.... any other advice I would appreciate for sure :)

Thank you again for the help :)

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023401&p_id=8103&seq=1&format=2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG1ACX2/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_02_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That cable is fine. Switch would work, but it's a little premature to buy at this point, also this one only has 8 PoE ports.

Waiting till the drywall is up makes it a lot harder, I guess if you can get in there before the attic insulation is installed there are some advantages. TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES OF EVERYTHING BEFORE THE DRYWALL GOES UP, they'll be helpful in the future.

Honestly your best bet probably is going to be to figure out what it would take to get a pro who either works for the builder or has insurance and the builder will allow on the site to run a few cables/conduits. Also try to get them to run Cat-5e for phone / data and coax to a central location inside the house.

capth4u

n3wb
Reaction score
Ill have one or two nights to run the cables before the drywall goes up... it should be in a few weeks. The switch I can wait on like you said but I wanted to make sure it is a good one... I only have 2 poe cameras but might add a few more down the road so I was thinking 8 poe ports will be ok. It shouldn't take long to run the wires I wouldn't think .... Ill have a ladder and easy access. I just need to make my mind up where my central hub will be in the house because my wife has plans for every room :) lolol

Thank you again :)