New to IPCamTalk! Excited to learn and have some questions!

sugi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Recently discovered IPCamTalk and noticed all the resources and excited to learn! I have installed DVR systems purchased from Costco and then eventually moved to IP and did one install. The problem with me installs is that the budget is typically low and the price of the IP cameras are too high! The IP cameras + a desktop + BlueIris software + POE switch ends up costing a fortune. I have looked at purchasing the IP cameras (1MP to 2MP) from Aliexpress and noticed its been done quite a few times on this website but can't find a link to purchase one that is reliable. I have the following questions:

1- Can the IP cameras purchased from AliExpress be changed so they're okay for North America (i.e. English and not Chinese language). Can someone recommend the one that is commonly recommended in this website?
2- Would it be better to go with BlueIris or the NVR route?
3- If I go the BlueIris route, what spec requirements would I need? Would a 3rd generation i5 processor with 4GB ram suffice?

Thanks to everyone!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Recently discovered IPCamTalk and noticed all the resources and excited to learn! I have installed DVR systems purchased from Costco and then eventually moved to IP and did one install. The problem with me installs is that the budget is typically low and the price of the IP cameras are too high! The IP cameras + a desktop + BlueIris software + POE switch ends up costing a fortune. I have looked at purchasing the IP cameras (1MP to 2MP) from Aliexpress and noticed its been done quite a few times on this website but can't find a link to purchase one that is reliable. I have the following questions:

1- Can the IP cameras purchased from AliExpress be changed so they're okay for North America (i.e. English and not Chinese language). Can someone recommend the one that is commonly recommended in this website?
2- Would it be better to go with BlueIris or the NVR route?
3- If I go the BlueIris route, what spec requirements would I need? Would a 3rd generation i5 processor with 4GB ram suffice?

Thanks to everyone!
Welcome Sugi,

4GB of RAM for a windows PC is too low, you should get 8GB.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.