New to LPR? Considerations Before You Begin

It is powered by POE or 12VDC.

But yes you could simply run an outdoor rated ethernet cable to it as long as the total run is under 300 feet or so.

Any update to the system + camera?
I presume you need one of those DVR/Brain units with the POE capabilities.
Not sure what you mean here?

I run BlueIris on a dedicated PC. My 20+ cams are all POE cams and are powered with POE switches. I have four POE switches to run those cams.

See this thread for how I installed the LPR cams.

It is powered by POE or 12VDC.

But yes you could simply run an outdoor rated ethernet cable to it as long as the total run is under 300 feet or so.
I wonder if a wire mesh system port will work. I will update you once I get that far. And, If 12vdc works, I can connect to a front yard outlet which is used for Xmas lights.

Not sure what you mean here?

I run BlueIris on a dedicated PC. My 20+ cams are all POE cams and are powered with POE switches. I have four POE switches to run those cams.

See this thread for how I installed the LPR cams.

Thanks, I got a good sense. I want one or two LCR on my lawn hidden in a wooden box like yours. I don't know which cam will actually work the best. I will order a sample and connect it to my Wire Mesh satellite port --> poe switch --> to CAM to see if it will power it up. Do any of your cam work without "the controller/harddrive/brain" unit? Can the camera connect to your network and use your networked PC to capture License plates driving by?

"the controller/harddrive/brain" unit?
This is what I do not understand...brain unit? No idea what you are talking about.

To get a better understanding of how cams work, check out the WIKI.

Reactions: David L
yes, NPR. Do I need NPR for Model 5442-ZE which was recommended by a forum member.

As I said earlier, you can manage it with just an SD card, but we recommend for long term reliability and 24/7 recording a VMS system such as an NVR or BI/PC combo.

Do any of your cam work without "the controller/harddrive/brain" unit? Can the camera connect to your network and use your networked PC to capture License plates driving by?
In the future, it would be good to use the terminology that can be found in the WIKI when asking for help.

Yes, my cams do work without being connected to the BI server. They do record to an onboard SD card. But that is not an efficient way to work an LPR cam. Trying to pull plates from the SD card when I have 300+ plates a day is not feasible. So I run BlueIris as a VMS that records 24/7 all of my cams. So yes, the PC captures the plates.

Additionally, all cams need power. There are a few ways to give them power. Since I am running BI then I need switches to get all of my cams to that machine. So I use POE switches. You could use a power injector or a power supply.

I got my unit and plugged them all in and went through the settings. The npr kept beeping. After listening to it some time, I found an alarm for missing a hard drive. The fan noise is pretty loud for me to keep it running at my home office. Does the fan go on and off I wonder.

I got my unit and plugged them all in and went through the settings. The npr kept beeping. After listening to it some time, I found an alarm for missing a hard drive. The fan noise is pretty loud for me to keep it running at my home office. Does the fan go on and off I wonder.

As @bigredfish said, it runs all the time. Many here have replaced the fan with a more quiet fan. Do a search here and you can find it.

Reactions: jimnycricket65
I think I got it running and here is a screenshot of neighbor across the street and I can see the plate. The next attempt is to temporary mount in and angle that will read the license plate as they come down the street or leave the street. I ordered couple of 10TB hhd.

Is there away to upload directly to Google Storage or iCloud? Has this been addressed?
1725814605189.png

Is there away to upload directly to Google Storage or iCloud? Has this been addressed?
If you are storing to internal 10TB hard drives, why would you want to push it up to cloud storage? That is a LOT of data being pumped out of your home LAN. Could overwhelm your router/modem and go over your allotment with your IP provider.

Reactions: bigredfish
I like cloud and I have a 10TB cloud space. I have no isp limits and use business class firewall and router. I run my home office like a remote office. Covid brought this on.

I want to be able to share a cloud folder with my neighbor or neighbors