New to Security Cameras, Setting up a New System and looking for Guidance

PLW

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to use POE cameras. I am considering the Dahua N84CG54 (IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE, 4mm) and N85CM5Z (IPC-HDW5831R-ZE, Vari 2.7 – 12mm) cameras however, I have been unable to read any reliable reviews. I think these cameras are good during the day, however concerned regarding the nighttime image quality. In reading some post on IPCameraTalk, it seems the consensus is the lower megapixel cameras provide superior nighttime vision.

In regards to a NVR, the easiest solution is to purchase the Dahua’s N54B3P (NVR5416-16P-4KS2E) recorder that contains the POE switch. However, some post suggest building a computer system and installing a program such as Blue Iris.

What do you think about my camera selection, are there other cameras I should consider?

What is your preferred NVR solution?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @PLW

Typically you will see references to the Dahua OEM international model numbers, so more members here will be more familiar with those model numbers vs the Dahua USA model numbers.

Thus I suggest looking at the Dahua OEM international model numbers and seeing how those would map to the Dahua USA model numbers.

iirc there has been a recent change in naming standards for model numbers - so I'd start by looking at the catalog Andy ( empiretecandy = member id here ) has posted
20190627 New catalog

Also remember to review the cliff notes, and note that while Andy can source just about any of the cameras in the catalog given enough time, Dahua USA only sources a subset of what is available.

Furthermore, many members are contributing reviews - so do check out the various reviews here.

PLW

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @PLW

Typically you will see references to the Dahua OEM international model numbers, so more members here will be more familiar with those model numbers vs the Dahua USA model numbers.

Thus I suggest looking at the Dahua OEM international model numbers and seeing how those would map to the Dahua USA model numbers.

iirc there has been a recent change in naming standards for model numbers - so I'd start by looking at the catalog Andy ( empiretecandy = member id here ) has posted
20190627 New catalog

Also remember to review the cliff notes, and note that while Andy can source just about any of the cameras in the catalog given enough time, Dahua USA only sources a subset of what is available.

Furthermore, many members are contributing reviews - so do check out the various reviews here.