New user trying to figure out an affordable POE-based Blue Iris system that doesn't use companies like Dahua, Hikvision or Reolink

DesertRat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is why my first post in here was "Good luck with that...." LOL

You are finding that in some form or fashion, they all participate in some form or fashion what you don't like, even if not directly as has been pointed out with Dahua and Hik.

But the fact of the matter is every camera manufacturer is advancing AI technologies because it helps eliminate false triggers. And as part of that comes the additional AI associated with that. If they are not doing it, someone else will and will take that market share.

The DIY route will be a lot of fun, but who knows what your research may find on those components. Plus the biggest hurdle will be creating a camera that can be outside in the elements and do infrared and....well a little Pi camera for inside is one thing, going outside is a whole new ballpark. GoPro doesn't have infrared, so be ready to light your house up like a nighttime NFL football game LOL.

Lessor of all evils is probably to purchase good quality cams from a 3rd party OEM vendor because then Dahua isn't getting as much as if you purchased from them directly...
Fenderman: For god's sake, please move this thread to the "Progressive Liberal Hypocrisy" thread.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have to ask again.

What are YOUR problems with dahua or hikvision ?

You write like john, must be some pandemic. You give no answers to questions and just write "blah blah blah"

So you consider to buy from a company which is controlled by the chinese government and use the same algorithms like hik/dahua ?

Only because they have 2 series, one is bad and one is good ? Have you inspect the source code of the good series to make sure that they removed all "bad" from it ? Is that your line ? if a company say "yes we are bad but in this series we removed everything bad so you can use it, anyway thanks for your money and support for doing bad things". Wow.

is that the new stupid or are you just trolling?

Here from your lovely friend john:

Already mentioned my reasons for not using Dahua or Hikvision. I'm still researching, so currently Uniview is indeed on my list as a recommended brand, BUT this is a work-in-progress so I haven't looked into Uniview enough yet. I'll definitely be looking at reports about Uniview's entaglements too, and thank you for your perspective. It does look like they have two product lines, and I have to look into how they are handling the problematic product line. If they are phasing it out, that's a positive thing. If they are doubling down on it, that's a problem for me.

As for suggesting I'm trolling, I think I've been pretty sincere, respectful and trying as hard as possible to stay on target.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is why my first post in here was "Good luck with that...." LOL

You are finding that in some form or fashion, they all participate in some form or fashion what you don't like, even if not directly as has been pointed out with Dahua and Hik.

But the fact of the matter is every camera manufacturer is advancing AI technologies because it helps eliminate false triggers. And as part of that comes the additional AI associated with that. If they are not doing it, someone else will and will take that market share.

The DIY route will be a lot of fun, but who knows what your research may find on those components. Plus the biggest hurdle will be creating a camera that can be outside in the elements and do infrared and....well a little Pi camera for inside is one thing, going outside is a whole new ballpark. GoPro doesn't have infrared, so be ready to light your house up like a nighttime NFL football game LOL.

Lessor of all evils is probably to purchase good quality cams from a 3rd party OEM vendor because then Dahua isn't getting as much as if you purchased from them directly...

Appreciate that, yeah, I get your original response's point much better now! It's more of a can of worms than I was hoping, but the good news is that I'm pretty happy about discovering a lot of things I didn't know before. It's a big eye-opener to a market and supply chain I had no idea was so rife with issues. But I'll keep looking and will post my notes when I can consolidate them. There is currently no clear-cut "winner" and now I doubt there will be. If anything, I think it presents a market opening for an entrepreneur to pursue a market niche.

As for the DIY approach, yeah, I thought of the fact I'd have to also create quite a lighting system outside my home, lol. Fortunately, that's not too hard, but it will be a bit silly to light up the neighborhood anytime a cat walks by a sensor.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I call Bullshit. You don't need us to buy equipment. sounds like a IPVMJohn Plant.
Fenderman: For god's sake, please move this thread to the "Progressive Liberal Hypocrisy" thread.
I don't think I'd ever satisfy either of you guys with what I might write here. @Flintstone61, what makes you think I'm insincere about trying to figure this out, very curious? And what makes you think I have anything to do with IPVM or John? Which I don't, as I've already indicated. And @DesertRat, what makes you think this has anything to do with Progressive Liberal Hypocrisy? The prior administration had pretty strong words re: the Uyghur situation, how is that a liberal-only issue?

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
In your first post you mention you had recently bought a couple of POE switches. The same company / brand might make cameras or have an offshoot or an affiliation with one that does.

I take it you have done your research on this aspect and could fulfil your requirements.

For people here considering the same can i ask what brand you went for?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck trying to roll your own camera with anything close to the capabilities of a Hik or Dahua, or even a Reolink for that matter. By the time you buy the components, assemble and develop the software you'll be five generations behind the market and probably spend more than buying an Axis which is already a generation or two behind.

Basically, you're looking for a Unicorn or a mermaid. They don't exist either.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To summarize the brands I'm currently looking at based on this thread. To the nay-sayers and critics of my motivations, I'm not done with my research, these are just brands suggested here in this thread, they're not listed for suitability, and they are also not in any particular order. Sorry if I missed one, I went back through the thread, and thanks again for your suggestions!

• Nelly's Security has two lines of NDAA compliant cameras:
    • Some of their Uniview models which are listed in a separate section on the Nelly's website under NDAA
    • Some of their R-Sieres cameras which are made by Raysharp -- specifically, the 2MP and 5MP models are NDAA compliant (and very affordable) but they did not list them under the NDAA compliant list for some reason
  • Axis
  • Vitek
  • Hanwha/Techwin
  • SV3C (IPCAM)
  • Samsung (specifically someone recommended SNV-6013, which looks like it's made by Hanwha-Techwin)

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In your first post you mention you had recently bought a couple of POE switches. The same company / brand might make cameras or have an offshoot or an affiliation with one that does.

I take it you have done your research on this aspect and could fulfil your requirements.

For people here considering the same can i ask what brand you went for?
Yes, I bought Netgear POE switches, I didn't see anything Netgear made that fit the specs of what I want, and Arlo, which was formerly part of Netgear (but still controlled by Netgear) as I understand it, doesn't make anything that meets the specs.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good luck trying to roll your own camera with anything close to the capabilities of a Hik or Dahua, or even a Reolink for that matter. By the time you buy the components, assemble and develop the software you'll be five generations behind the market and probably spend more than buying an Axis which is already a generation or two behind.

Basically, you're looking for a Unicorn or a mermaid. They don't exist either.
Yep, there is no perfect solution, definitely no unicorns and mermaids, so I'll be dealing with some degree of gray, the lesser of two evils, etc...

And as for being 5 generations behind with a roll my own approach, honestly, I might be okay with that if I can't find something else on the market that I'm at least marginally happy with. It's way too early to tell, but if I can get a good feed from simple dumb cameras into Blue Iris without all the extra baggage I'm reading about, I'd consider that a win, take advantage of the features in Blue Iris and then build from there. But you're totally right about the time, effort, money, etc., to do this DIY approach. I'd have to consider it primarily as a father-son project and the payoff will be family bonding time. But strictly speaking, and not including the family bonding time, you're right that it's time- and cost- prohibitive.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think I'd ever satisfy either of you guys with what I might write here. @Flintstone61, what makes you think I'm insincere about trying to figure this out, very curious? And what makes you think I have anything to do with IPVM or John? Which I don't, as I've already indicated. And @DesertRat, what makes you think this has anything to do with Progressive Liberal Hypocrisy? The prior administration had pretty strong words re: the Uyghur situation, how is that a liberal-only issue?
I have run across lots of people like you over my life time. You procrastinate and cannot make up your mind on most things, even if your life depends on it. I don't think you will buy any thing, and if you do, you will return it. I feel sorry for any of the vendors you do business with. When I had a small business, and ran across people like you, I would try to piss them off, so they would just leave. Stop filling the forum with BS.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have run across lots of people like you over my life time. You procrastinate and cannot make up your mind on most things, even if your life depends on it. I don't think you will buy any thing, and if you do, you will return it. I feel sorry for any of the vendors you do business with. When I had a small business, and ran across people like you, I would try to piss them off, so they would just leave. Stop filling the forum with BS.
You literally don't know me and you make all sorts of assumptions about me. I think that says more about you than anything else. I haven't done anything to you except apparently filling the forum with BS as you call it, which I didn't force you to read but somehow it evoked a response enough that you had to criticize me. I too have run across people like you in my life and honestly I wish you well, but I disagree with you and think there's some pretty good info in this thread, and some pretty good suggestions.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
why US try to limit dahua and hikvision, mainly because they are the leaders at CCTV industry, most people select them because of the high quality and high tech. They sell the high end cams with reasonable price. Till now, i don't have any clients all over the world report they are watched by Chinese gov or has been hacked. Unview may get some cakes, but when they come to world No. 1 or No.2 will have the same result as today's hikvision or dahua. What is next? Full of rubbish on the market, or thousand USD for a high quality cam like AXIS or Bosch. Most chips use US tech, dahua or hikvision just use those tech on new cams.
The world always controlled by the very small part of the politicians. Right now things is changing, more and more people doubt their politicians, Why people is angry here, because they know the politicians are shit. They said dahua or hikvision help Chinese gov to kill muslims in xinjiang, this is A crazy JOKE.
CCP already proven what it is willing to do in Hong Kong where everyone can see and CCP is not allowing anyone to see what's going on in Xinjiang.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BTW, been reading more on Axis cameras, and they look pretty good for my specs. The prices are obviously higher as several people have mentioned, in some cases 2X-5X higher than what I was hoping for, but not horrible if I space things out and build my system slowly. I found several models that look pretty good, some not outrageously expensive. I will also check ebay, maybe I can find some deals. The tech is indeed also behind many of their Chinese competitors as has been mentioned here, but otherwise I think they could be a good candidate. I also like their security history, which looks fairly responsive when vulnerabilities are discovered. Axis seems like a front runner for me right now. Thanks again for the recommendations! Still researching!

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
ATM my set up consists of a netgear router, tp-link switches leading to a dahua nvr / ipcams. Looks like I'm covering all bases lol

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
CCP already proven what it is willing to do in Hong Kong where everyone can see and CCP is not allowing anyone to see what's going on in Xinjiang.
Maybe you come here i TAKE you to Xinjiang to make a visit? I pay you all cost, and hire a Land Crusier ENJOY the beautiful landscape and local conditions, CCP will not kill you. :confused: Turst me bro.

1637073250305.jpeg

1637073272134.jpeg

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Adding Bosch to the research list... Axis is current front-runner though. The primary "compromise" I think I'll have to make is cost. I'll just have to pay more, spread it out over time, start with fewer cameras, etc. But Axis is looking promising. Bosch refurbished has potential too. Saw some decent prices on ebay. More research to go, will post final decision hopefully trying to figure out this week so I can take advantage of Black Friday deals depending on what brand I go with.
  • Axis
  • Bosch
  • Nelly's Security has two lines of NDAA compliant cameras:
    • Some of their Uniview models which are listed in a separate section on the Nelly's website under NDAA
    • Some of their R-Sieres cameras which are made by Raysharp -- specifically, the 2MP and 5MP models are NDAA compliant (and very affordable) but they did not list them under the NDAA compliant list for some reason
  • Vitek
  • Hanwha/Techwin
  • SV3C (IPCAM)
  • Samsung (specifically someone recommended SNV-6013, which looks like it's made by Hanwha-Techwin)