Newb looking to pull the trigger.

Reaction score
Hi all! Brand new to the forum and to a house we just moved into. I had them install cat 5e drops to most all corners of the house when it was built. Now I'm looking to purchase a video security solution. I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on thisbut wanted to get some expert opinions first.
I am a seasoned IT guy so tech is my thing. I'll be bringing in home automation and a wired security solution into the mix as well. That said I'll eventually be bringing them all together in some fashion so will want to get a solution that will allow for that. The points I like about this system are .265, 16 channel, alarm, resolution, audio, price, etc. The only 2 things I don't really like is I don't know what oem nvr I am dealing with and consequently what I'll be able to do w it/the firmware. Also the it doesn't appear to be ONVIF compliant. Any thoughts and or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
TIA.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate? It looks like you have made a decision on the product as you state it has x/y/z options

Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate? It looks like you have made a decision on the product as you state it has x/y/z options
Yes but I am unsure of the oem manufacturer. I was hoping one of you had insight as to if it was a stay clear brand or something solid. Also with my future plans I am unsure if what this model has would indeed be adequate. Also being a newb I am unsure if there are other considerations that should be taken into account.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do apologise, I missed the hyperlink entirely, now I see what system you meant.
That brand is not available where I reside, so I am not able to offer any suggestions, BUT I have read on here about them and it is not positive.
I would be more inclined to look at the Dahua range to give you a better outcome, but also consider using Blue Iris on a dedicated PC for a more technical solution, plenty of info support and advice available on this site..

Search is your friend

Reaction score
I do apologise, I missed the hyperlink entirely, now I see what system you meant.
That brand is not available where I reside, so I am not able to offer any suggestions, BUT I have read on here about them and it is not positive.
I would be more inclined to look at the Dahua range to give you a better outcome, but also consider using Blue Iris on a dedicated PC for a more technical solution, plenty of info support and advice available on this site..

Search is your friend
I'm confused. I've read that Lorex, at least, has used Dahua oem before. That's part of the reason why I'm asking if anybody had any insight to the OEM manufacturer in this kit.
Thanks.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Kits don't get good reviews here.
- usually domes or bullets, and these form factors have real drawbacks when used outdoors.
- poor nightime performance. a 2MP Starlight will seriously outperform a 4MP cam. Don't fall into the MP trap. For nighttime performance, more pixels is NOT better. The 2MP Starlights blow away 3MP & 4MP cameras at night. Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup
- lens. Usually, the kits tout "wide angle, see everything". Problem being if you want a positive id on someone, they have to be 10' from the cam. I didn't wht lens size that kit uses, but if a 2.8mm lens, it's pretty useless for outdoor use, except for the front door or as an "overview cam", to watch the kids & dog in backyard.
- To eliminate the risk in getting the wrong lens, people buy varifocal cameras, and dial in the FOV they need for that camera's location. Many starlights are varifocal.

Lastly, do research here.
Search is your friend
Lotsa newbies post general questions that end up being similar, over time. The experts here get fatigued answering those questions, so you may not get much response, as compared to very specific questions that are unusual. And researching here is MUCH faster than asking a question and waiting for an answer.

Here's some threads about kits:
How to tell what make a re-branded camera is?
Suggestions on a new kit system for a noob
Why not go with Costco NVR package?

Again, welcome!
Fastb

Reaction score
Thanks Fastb. I've shot an email out to Andy asking for pricing on a nvr5216-16p-4ks2. I'll start from there.
Appreciate the feedback.