Newb - outdoor POE camera recommendation please

EWKiter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All -

New to the group. Here is my dilemma. For the past decade, I have had a Canon VB-C50i power-over-ethernet camera mounted outdoors in a dome. It has been a fantastic camera because of its 26x optical zoom. It is mounted on my roof and points out to a surf spot that allows me to zoom in and out to get different views. I specifically did not get a pan and tilt camera out of privacy concerns for my neighbors. Even though the flash interface for the web has long since not worked (I used to be able to embed the camera on a web page, pw-protected), my friends and I can still access it via an IP cam app end it is password-protected. It has worked great.

Unfortunately, it must have developed some minor condensation on its interior, and the interior of the lens has developed a stain that I can’t access to clean. Therefore, the auto focus hones in on that and no longer allows for a wide shots. I think it is time for me to get a new camera.

Accordingly, does anyone have some solid recommendations specifically for a good POE ip camera, that has great distance zoom capabilities? It would be great to have a high amount of optical zoom like my old Canon, but perhaps with the resolution of today’s cameras, I can get away with less optical zoom and rely on digital? I don’t need pan and tilt, but if the better choices have it, so be it. I want to just be able to plug it in to my existing POE cable and place it in my existing weatherproof dome, and I am looking forward to today’s more modern set up interface as compared to the nightmare I had to go through initially with this Canon. I only have a Mac, so I need to be able to set up using that.

I have to believe there are some good outdoor choices out there? Thanks in advance for any thought or suggestions.

EDIT: A bit more clarification. Night vision not needed or important to me. Pan/Tilt not needed. Zoom definitely needed. The old Canon I am replacing is 3.5mm to 91.0mm or 26x zoom. Want to simply use as a POE web/app cam on my roof for use by my surfing friends. It will be directly out in the weather. I want to be able to easily configure with an Apple Mac. What are my options and who should I consult with for purchase? Thank you.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

You don't mention needing night vision which is a BIG factor for most installations. You also don't mention budget, but I'll give you this link to a, sort of middle of the price range for decent PTZ cameras.

EWKiter

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:

You don't mention needing night vision which is a BIG factor for most installations. You also don't mention budget, but I'll give you this link to a, sort of middle of the price range for decent PTZ cameras.

Hi - thanks for the response. Sorry, did not think to mention night vision, given it is a camera for viewing the surf. Zero need for night vision.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum. 23x zoom can be misleading because you don't specify the actual mm in zoom. 3mm - 69mm and 10mm - 230mm are both 23x zoom but vary greatly in the final zoom capability. When I google your model number it shows as 3.5mm to 91.0mm or 26x zoom - is yours really 23x ? As in my signature, I have a couple 25x zooms, both are PTZ cams. Feel free to google their model #'s for more info on them. They are ~$500US each I think. Today's PTZ's will look fantastic compared to the older Canon, you'll love the picture.

edit: both my PTZ's are 4.8 - 120mm (which would equate to a 34x zoom using your Canon's specs - if your Canon went up to 120mm zoom)

Last edited:

EWKiter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum. 23x zoom can be misleading because you don't specify the actual mm in zoom. 3mm - 69mm and 10mm - 230mm are both 23x zoom but vary greatly in the final zoom capability. When I google your model number it shows as 3.5mm to 91.0mm or 26x zoom - is yours really 23x ? As in my signature, I have a couple 25x zooms, both are PTZ cams. Feel free to google their model #'s for more info on them. They are ~$500US each I think. Today's PTZ's will look fantastic compared to the older Canon, you'll love the picture.

edit: both my PTZ's are 4.8 - 120mm (which would equate to a 34x zoom using your Canon's specs - if your Canon went up to 120mm zoom)
Excellent, thank you. I will check out your models! And yes, you are correct about the specifications of my existing camera. I somehow had it in my mind that it was 23X but it is 26X. I appreciate your input, thanks again!