Newbie caught a break-in! But...

m_knoblock

n3wb
Reaction score
Installed my first system about 10 days ago, with Blue Iris and two cameras in a small trailer park. I pretty much kept Blue Iris defaults, so the cams triggered on motion and recorded for 30 seconds or so. Cameras are located at opposite ends, one on first trailer, one on the last, about 140' apart. They trigger independently, so a clip on one usually doesn't have a corresponding clip on the other (found out later you can sync triggers).

Two days ago someone drove in, went right up to the middle trailer (pulled out of sight), broke the door, ran in and stole a few items, and left, all within about 7 minutes. The first camera triggered and we caught a clear clip of the car pulling in, and pulling out. We were all excited until the tenant called the sheriff to report it, and the deputy looked at the CLEAR stills of the car, and asked if we had a tag number! Turns out they 'cant do much' without that.

So - do you need a special camera or a specific mount to catch license plates? I'm a little taken aback by this - thought I was doing good just to catch the car on camera!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Installed my first system about 10 days ago, with Blue Iris and two cameras in a small trailer park. I pretty much kept Blue Iris defaults, so the cams triggered on motion and recorded for 30 seconds or so. Cameras are located at opposite ends, one on first trailer, one on the last, about 140' apart. They trigger independently, so a clip on one usually doesn't have a corresponding clip on the other (found out later you can sync triggers).

Two days ago someone drove in, went right up to the middle trailer (pulled out of sight), broke the door, ran in and stole a few items, and left, all within about 7 minutes. The first camera triggered and we caught a clear clip of the car pulling in, and pulling out. We were all excited until the tenant called the sheriff to report it, and the deputy looked at the CLEAR stills of the car, and asked if we had a tag number! Turns out they 'cant do much' without that.

So - do you need a special camera or a specific mount to catch license plates? I'm a little taken aback by this - thought I was doing good just to catch the car on camera!
see the LPR section of the forum, you will want to dedicate a camera to lpr

m_knoblock

n3wb
Reaction score
LPR.... section... not finding this. Search 'LPR' in 'everywhere' returns no results. Am I missing something? Where is it?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First set you camera to record continuously and direct to disk. This way you will not miss anything

LPR is license plate reader. The current LPR needs a dedicated camera configured to read just license plates, it does not capture anything else useful. Most users use two cameras one the capture the action and car and the other to get the license plate.

In google search enter
site:ipcamtalk.com LPR