Newbie looking for advice

bjturner

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently bought a new house, and need to buy some cameras. I've read the forums and wikis, and have a few questions. I know my knowledge of ip cameras is very infantile..be gentle!

1. For setting up a new system, is there some sort of checklist of stuff that I need (BI, BI box, switcher, cameras, etc., etc.)?

2. I really need at least 2 good outdoor cameras. Are the ones with starlight worth the extra cost?

Thanks for all your help!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently bought a new house, and need to buy some cameras. I've read the forums and wikis, and have a few questions. I know my knowledge of ip cameras is very infantile..be gentle!

1. For setting up a new system, is there some sort of checklist of stuff that I need (BI, BI box, switcher, cameras, etc., etc.)?

2. I really need at least 2 good outdoor cameras. Are the ones with starlight worth the extra cost?

Thanks for all your help!
Welcome BJturner,

Good to have you join us.

Definitely read the cliff notes once through, as well as the securing your network notes
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

The best way to learn is to get a decent camera and start playing with it and testing positions.

I recommend using a varifocal Dahua OEM 2MP starlight model for that. It's a good camera and worth keeping - even if you decide for fixed lens cameras it will be good to have the varifocal one.

This is the once i would pickup IPC-HDW5231R-ZE - get a nice microSD card - a good POE power source and you're off to a good start.

bjturner

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome BJturner,

Good to have you join us.

Definitely read the cliff notes once through, as well as the securing your network notes
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

The best way to learn is to get a decent camera and start playing with it and testing positions.

I recommend using a varifocal Dahua OEM 2MP starlight model for that. It's a good camera and worth keeping - even if you decide for fixed lens cameras it will be good to have the varifocal one.

This is the once i would pickup IPC-HDW5231R-ZE - get a nice microSD card - a good POE power source and you're off to a good start.

Thanks for your advice, mat200! I appreciate it. I'll definitely read through that stuff, and keep learning!