Newbie looking for some help

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

WT32

n3wb
Reaction score
The 12v adapter voltage will be dropping to about 10.5 volts over the 10 meters of your 26ga ethernet cable. An active POE will inject 48v into the ethernet cable and drop the voltage back down to 12v at the camera. If you use a 2 core 16ga wire to power the camera it will get 11.8v at the camera which will work fine.

Reaction score
Ok, so its fair to say that the power and bad cable are the issues here then. If i pick up a POE injector from PC World tomorrow, how would i wire it in? Do i continue to use my passive kit along with the injector just without the original power adaptor?

Sorry to sound so thick, i promise i'm normally quite switched on haha

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does your camera support POE itself? I tried looking online for some specs but could not find anything other than the camera comes with its own power supply. Right now you are using POE splitters. An active POE injector assumes your camera supports POE. If not, you may need to get the power very close to the camera or use the two core 16ga wire someone suggested before.

Elexorien

n3wb
Reaction score
Based on my understanding, as long as the camera you have supports the 802.3af PoE standard, it will automatically negotiate with the injector (also has to comply with the standard) to send whatever voltage the device itself needs. So your passive injector just adds 12v to the line and hopes the camera works. An active injector will talk to the camera and find out what it needs, up to the max of the injector (typically 48v).

The injector should have more specific wiring instructions, but it should be as simple as plugging it into the wall outlet and the cable coming from the camera plus another cable from the injector to your network.

Reaction score
Does your camera support POE itself? I tried looking online for some specs but could not find anything other than the camera comes with its own power supply. Right now you are using POE splitters. An active POE injector assumes your camera supports POE. If not, you may need to get the power very close to the camera or use the two core 16ga wire someone suggested before.
Haha, yeah that sounds about right. I'm not sure to be honest, i'll have to have a look on the web myself. I know Sricam gets alot of stick on here and other websites, but when its running, its actually not a bad camera for the cost, although i'm sure its no where near the quality demanded from higher branded models. I think i may have to explore the route of 2C 16GA extension however. Just a quick one, will the adaptor not be affected by the additional length being added inbetween that and the camera?

Based on my understanding, as long as the camera you have supports the 802.3af PoE standard, it will automatically negotiate with the injector (also has to comply with the standard) to send whatever voltage the device itself needs. So your passive injector just adds 12v to the line and hopes the camera works. An active injector will talk to the camera and find out what it needs, up to the max of the injector (typically 48v).

The injector should have more specific wiring instructions, but it should be as simple as plugging it into the wall outlet and the cable coming from the camera plus another cable from the injector to your network.
Yeah, i was thinking something like that, but when you're trying to think of your current set up, it gets confusing.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I don't think his camera supports 802.3af. It comes with a 12v adapter to be plugged into the pigtail. I can't find any specs online that mention POE support and the fact that the camera says 12v/1A on the side of it makes me think it does not. He is using a POE splitter to inject the 12v into the data cable and split it out at the camera end. Not knowing this camera at all, I can't say if it truly supports POE. To the OP - don't buy the active injector until you can verify your camera supports active POE.

You may be stuck having to mount the camera by an outlet to plug the adapter into, or getting a camera that fully supports POE.

Reaction score
I don't think his camera supports 802.3af. It comes with a 12v adapter to be plugged into the pigtail. I can't find any specs online that mention POE support and the fact that the camera says 12v/1A on the side of it makes me think it does not. He is using a POE splitter to inject the 12v into the data cable and split it out at the camera end. Not knowing this camera at all, I can't say if it truly supports POE. To the OP - don't buy the active injector until you can verify your camera supports active POE.

You may be stuck having to mount the camera by an outlet to plug the adapter into, or getting a camera that fully supports POE.
I've emailed Sricam CS to help as i cannot find anything online either. I'll hold off on the injector then. Will i be able to add a 2core extension between the adaptor and camera or will it need to be adaptor only? This is proving harder than i intended!

WT32

n3wb
Reaction score

This is how I run a cam that does not support POE. I am using 20ga wire, I suggested 16ga wire to make sure it works. It is the cheapest way to get it up and running.

Reaction score
Can you help with the wire i need. I'm looking for 16 gauge wire on the internet and speaker wire is coming up. Now i dont know about others, but i dont fancy sticking speaker cable in a household power environment?

Elexorien

n3wb
Reaction score
You may also want to take a look at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Output-Universal-REGULATED-SUPPLY-1500mA/dp/B0054QJ434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474922115&sr=8-1&keywords=13v+power+supply

Since it is likely that the voltage drop of your PoE setup is what is causing the issue, this adjustable power supply can be increased to 13.5v, which after the drop should be about 11ish by the time it gets to the camera, which should be sufficient.

I have a US version of this that I don't use all that often, but when I do, it's handy. I occasionally loose power cables, and being able to get a device working until I can buy a new cable is worth it in my opinion. If you go this route, you will be able to keep the existing setup you currently have, verify that the increased voltage gets it working and does not blow anything up, and once you have a dedicated 13.5v supply, you will have a handy temporary supply for any gadget that is missing a cord.... I would still upgrade to the 24AWG cable though, since 26AWG isn't good for running that kind of power. You may find that your existing setup works just fine with the new cable, and don't need a higher voltage. But I can't tell for sure unless I test it out myself.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's only 12V - it will be fine.
And speaker cable can be pretty low resistance.
But you will have to join it suitably at the ends.
But if it bothers you, and size is no problem, 1.5mm or 2.5mm mains cable would be an alternate choice from your local Homebase or B&Q etc.

In reality, though, it would be so much neater and better with an active PoE splitter / injector combination, to the 802.3af standard, as mentioned earlier.
Your existing ethernet cable will then be fine, swap out the 12V power supply for the injector, and an extra bump at the other end for the splitter.

Reaction score
It's only 12V - it will be fine.
And speaker cable can be pretty low resistance.
But you will have to join it suitably at the ends.
But if it bothers you, and size is no problem, 1.5mm or 2.5mm mains cable would be an alternate choice from your local Homebase or B&Q etc.

In reality, though, it would be so much neater and better with an active PoE splitter / injector combination, to the 802.3af standard, as mentioned earlier.
Your existing ethernet cable will then be fine, swap out the 12V power supply for the injector, and an extra bump at the other end for the splitter.
I agree with the poe option being the preferred option but it's a no go if my camera doesn't support it. I'd rather not have to go back on the roof haha

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but it's a no go if my camera doesn't support it.
The camera does not need to support it with the PoE active injector at the router / switch end, and the active splitter at the camera end to supply the regulated 12V DC that's needed.

Presumably you'd need to go on the roof to run a power cable.

Reaction score
The camera does not need to support it with the PoE active injector at the router / switch end, and the active splitter at the camera end to supply the regulated 12V DC that's needed.

Presumably you'd need to go on the roof to run a power cable.
So the TP-link kit could still work irrespective of my camera not being poe compatible?

And yes, its back on the roof to install a power cable.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So the TP-link kit could still work irrespective of my camera not being poe compatible?
Yes, you'd need both the injector and the splitter - which locally produces a regulated 12V supply.
On a roof though - you'd need to have a suitable enclosure - size and environmental considerations.

Reaction score
Yes, you'd need both the injector and the splitter - which locally produces a regulated 12V supply.
On a roof though - you'd need to have a suitable enclosure - size and environmental considerations.
Ok, so with my injector kit from ebay and the TP-link from pc world theres a chance this could be working.

I wouldn't worry about the roof aspect too much, it's just I have to climb up in the roof of my kitchen to reach the side of my house. It's where I've ran my cabling that's all.

This is how my camera looks currently installed

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
He has passive splitters right now. I don't believe they will work with what you propose.