Newbie, looking to start simple and on the cheap

mc510

n3wb
Reaction score
For now, I'm envisioning putting up one or two cameras and hoping to keep it cheap and simple. I've already got a large NAS hard drive on my home network, so I'm wondering if I could just use the on-camera software to detect motion, send alerts, and save video on the NAS hard drive, instead of buying a NVR or dedicated PC for Blue Iris/similar? If I get a decent camera brand, is the on-camera software flexible and reliable enough? What would the main drawbacks be?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For now, I'm envisioning putting up one or two cameras and hoping to keep it cheap and simple. I've already got a large NAS hard drive on my home network, so I'm wondering if I could just use the on-camera software to detect motion, send alerts, and save video on the NAS hard drive, instead of buying a NVR or dedicated PC for Blue Iris/similar? If I get a decent camera brand, is the on-camera software flexible and reliable enough? What would the main drawbacks be?
Welcome @mc510

Suggest picking up one of the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight varifocals - see looney2ns review on the IPC-HDW2231rp-zs, imho that is a great camera to pick up and start learning with.

Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal