Newbie needs advice

Reaction score
We moved into our new house in April of last year. I've been thinking about adding security cameras for a while now, but on Friday my neighbor across the street had his shed broken in to and they stole his trailer and zero turn mower. This is expediting my needs.

I spent all weekend reading through the forum and cliff notes. I tried using the IPVM planning tool to come up with a system for myself, but I'm suffering from data overload so I figured I'd reach out for some help. Attached is an overhead view of my house and property. I'm currently using SmartThings with a couple Smartcams and door sensors to give some basic security.

What I think I want:
  • An expandable system (I'd like to start with a basic recommendation of a couple/few cameras to get me started and expand over a few months/years)
    • I don't necessarily have a budget in mind for the short term, but until convinced otherwise I would ballpark the ~$600 range.
  • I have a spare PC that I will reformat to run Blue Iris
  • Have some areas of identification (front door, garage come to mind), and have at least some overall detection of what is happening on my overall property (3 acres).
    • My new neighbor to the south runs a landscaping business and has lots of unfamiliar faces coming and going regularly. I'd like at least an overall view of what is happening if anyone wanders towards my property.
    • The neighbor across the street is really a 6 acre vacant piece of land right now. I'd like to be able to keep a general eye on what is happening over there. Recently we've seen a few beer bottles in the ditch.
  • POE. No wiring run at the moment, but I should be able to handle that DIY
I appreciate any and all advice from what my short term plan should be to the overall gucci solution. Thanks in advance.
Overhead with measure.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  • An expandable system (I'd like to start with a basic recommendation of a couple/few cameras to get me started and expand over a few months/years)
    • I don't necessarily have a budget in mind for the short term, but until convinced otherwise I would ballpark the ~$600 range.
  • I have a spare PC that I will reformat to run Blue Iris
  • Have some areas of identification (front door, garage come to mind), and have at least some overall detection of what is happening on my overall property (3 acres )

Welcome BigD

As you have a large property I would expect you to eventually want more quality cameras for good coverage, so I would expect your budget to be higher.

Thus, I would plan on a 16-24 port PoE switch from the start as I can see easily installing more than 8 cameras to cover your property.

For a start I would look at Dahua OEM low light cameras to cover night time activity.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Remember, that security cams in general are like the police, they are there after the fact to report.
Make sure you have a good security system in place, as your neighbor should of had.

Fair warning, you will blow through that budget pretty quick.

We really need pictures of the outside of your house to help much, from ground level.
In the mean time, one of these two cams are the ones to start with.
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

Reaction score
Here are few pictures. Note that these are from when we were buying the house. There's now a fence around the backyard and a soon to be patio on the back. If more pictures are necessary/useful I can take and upload them when I get home.

Front.jpg Garage.jpg Back.jpg