Newbie needs help getting video from new cube camera

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so, after four years of wanting to, I've finally started putting together our security camera setup. The computer and my first camera, an indoor Hikvision Cube Camera (DS-2CD2442FWD-IW) arrived today. I need to install Windows 10 and install Blue Iris and get the computer going, but I wanted to play a little bit, so I just plugged the camera in and sat it on a shelf of our great room built-ins. I ran through the setup, and I think I've done everything correctly, but I can't seem to get any video from the camera. It is setup and activated, and I've accessed it via a web browser (Firefox 67.0.2), but all I see in Live View is a black screen. I didn't install an SD card as I plan to use this camera with Blue Iris, so I have no idea if that has anything to do with it or not. The manual said something about installing a plug-in to view, but so far I haven't found any information on where to get this plug-in, so I suspect that has something to do with it, but the manual is pretty lacking when it comes to details on that front.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've accessed it via a web browser (Firefox 67.0.2), but all I see in Live View is a black screen.
If you are using a browser it must be IE11 (or PaleMoon) so that the needed webplugin can be loaded to render the video.
The plugin download will be prompted for when not loaded in the browser, and will download from the camera.

Edge / Firefox / Chrome etc etc do not support these types of plugins in their native form.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, that explains it. Strange that it only supports IE, which I would think is the lowest browser in terms of popularity these days.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, that explains it. Strange that it only supports IE, which I would think is the lowest browser in terms of popularity these days.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Hi @bfollowell

The other browsers are constantly improving and countering security holes...

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, it worked for a short while, then I bumped the power connector while I was adjusting the position of the camera. The camera turned off and I lost the feed. I reconnected and the camera powered back up, and I can see it in the browser or and in SADP, but now I have no video. I'm back to a black screen and I can't seem to be able to do anything to get the video stream back.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like maybe the plugin is no longer allowed for that IP address.
In IE11 under settings, add the IP address of the camera to 'Trusted sites'.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I feel silly now.

When I went back and looked at it, and tried to find the settings you mentioned, they weren't there. Actually, there were hardly any settings at all. Then I realized that, by clicking on the big e on my task bar, I was actually starting Microsoft Edge, not IE. When I searched for IE in the search bar, and started IE11, everything was OK, though I did have to load and approve the plugin again. Everything looks good now and I can see video in the Hik-Connect app on my phone as well. That'll be enough to play around a little until I get my computer setup and Blue Iris installed and setup.

Thanks.