Newbie - will my idea work ?

Netrix

n3wb
Reaction score
Hiya,

I'd think there will be more detailed questions to follow, but I thought I'd map out my idea first to see if there are any obvious (to you peeps) flaws.

I have a detached house with attached garage, garden/access all around. My initial plan in terms of cameras is to have 4 at gutter level looking down 1 side of the house each. One at the front door with more detail etc and one at the back door showing more detail. So initially 6 cameras.

I've decided to go IP camera using POE. So in the loft I will have a managed POE switch where the 4 gutter cameras will connect to. At this stage I am not sure how the other two, more detailed cameras will connect: My first assumption is that I can run 1 Ethernet cable from the POE switch in the loft down to my NVR on the ground floor ? (NVR will be in the office next to the Router) I think I read somewhere (and I'm talking Hikvision) that each port on the NVR is a separate camera channel - so do the camera have to be plugged directly into the NVR or will my assumption work ?
I don't really want to put the NVR in the loft as my plan for the other two cameras will probably involve routing cables through to the office to connect directly to the NVR.

I would think that an 8 channel NVR can only have 8 IP cameras "assigned" using my method i.e.. I could not have 9 cameras plugged into the POE switch with 1 Ethernet cable connecting to the NVR ?

I'm off to sort out some camera specs - I would think I'm talking mini dome (with sound) for front and bach door and Exir domes for the gutter camera - Pretty certain I'd need 2.8mm lens for the mini domes, 6mm lens for gutter mounted cameras ?

The will do me for now :) (apologies) I'm off for a wander around the forum ......

Regards
Nitrix

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Domes have problems outdoors. Too much light reflection issue's, and the dome fogs up as they age. Stick with the Turret style cams.

Buy a 16ch NVR, only cost's a few dollars more. Buy one that does not include built in POE, (it will have just one network port). Then you can place the NVR where you want it, and just run one wire from the switch to the NVR.

Be very wary of using any lens less than a 3.6mm if you are concerned with ID'ing faces.
Don't mount cams more than 8ft high.

Use this to decide on your views: Camera Calculator / Design Software
Keep PPF above 100.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
NVR with POE will allow cameras to connect directly to the NVR. Some NVR's will allow you to connect one of your POE network ports to a switch though and feed all cameras from that switch into the NVR as well. NVR's with POE vs. POE switch to NVR is personal preference or situation/configuration dependent. There isn't really a right or wrong answer.

Domes outside, especially the tiny mini dome is a bad idea. The IR is weak and if not properly protected from the elements can end up with something as simple as rain water spots blinding the camera. Don't get me wrong, I've successfully used domes outside a ton of times with no issues, you just have to know what you are doing.

2.8mm outside is NOT a good idea. The IR will be very limited and you won't be able to ID anyone. 2.8 outside is only useful for an overall "observation" camera. For example, I have a 2.8 mounted under the eve of our second story on the back of the house. This allows me to see our back yard 90x130 without a problem, so I can see where the kids are when on the swingset or kicking a ball.

Typically on a single story home you will want 4mm for the majority of the cameras outside with the possibility of 6mm depending on sightlines/etc and what you are trying to accomplish.

Netrix

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies - regarding the mini domes; my understanding was that for a camera over a door 2.8mm was ok as it will only be looking at people in front of the camera. I've seen Hikvision mini domes that have audio capabilities built in, hence my choice. The camera at the front door will be under a porch so protected from the elements and quite a lot of natural light. The mini dome looks a lot less intrusive too - but I will think about other possibilities. The camera for the back door will be out in the elements so I will choose a turret camera for that location.

I will have to mount the outside cameras at gutter level unfortunately (two storey house) as it will mean I can eliminate the need for external trunking/pipework and pass cables straight into the loft. With that in mind will 4mm be "too wide" for gutter mounted cameras ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
see these
HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example
LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install
IP Cameras, Multiple Locations

If you are mounting second story you will want to look for duel matrix IR bullets (HIK i3, i5, i8) in the 4mm,6mm,12mm lens range. Then I would advise mounting on each corner criss crossing your coverage zone, the lens will get you up close to obtain ID features, and the throw from one side of the yard to the other will increase your chance of getting a facial shot. If you try to point down directly in front of the camera you will only get tops of heads. What you want to accomplish is doable but you have challanges ahead of you in order to properly configure for facial ID'ing.