No Motion Recording on Dahua Camera Connected to Hikvision NVR

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the cameras WebUI, not the ConfigTool

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some more info for anyone interested (keeping in mind my networking skills are pretty basic.)

Using this procedure it mentions about using an NVR's POE ports to access the cameras and also about setting up the NVR as a "virtual host" to enable access directly to the cameras via the NVR's web login (ie. via it's LAN port.) The Hikvision NVR does allocate an address under "virtual host" to all the cameras but the Dahua camera fails to connect, all the Hikvisions are fine. Using the POE port method and then running Dahua's config tool you can access the Dahua's login page and access all the settings.

I've experimented with the audio sampling rate and type, that's definitely the cause of the slow playback. AAC 32k seems like the best option, the video speed is fine and the voices don't sound like they're a prank call from a horror movie sound track!
I just tried your procedure and while it did seem to save settings for Motion Recording, the cameras STILL record continuously. In fact, I now see that although even the Hikvision cameras are all set to MOTION, they are also still recording continuously! So, I just don't get it.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use the cameras WebUI, not the ConfigTool
I went through the web UI and although it did seem to change the settings to MOTION, the cameras are still recording continuously. In fact, ALL of the cameras (even the Hikvision ones) are all recording continuously even though MOTION is set up on all of them. At least that's what the NVR says.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and? enabling motion recording does not necessarily disable continuous recording; thats the recommended way of using it

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I went through the web UI and although it did seem to change the settings to MOTION, the cameras are still recording continuously. In fact, ALL of the cameras (even the Hikvision ones) are all recording continuously even though MOTION is set up on all of them. At least that's what the NVR says.
Is that when you look at the playback screen? Have you got the solid blue bar on the time line at the bottom indicating "Continuous" is happening? Do you also have intermittent red sections which should be the Motion Events?

Mine seems to only be recording "Events" (ie. Motion.) Check under the "Recording" schedule that the days/ times for all the cameras are all green indicating "Event" instead of all blue which is "Continuous"- if that's how you want it to operate. Having both working (as Nayr said above) is probably the better way in case the Motion Event doesn't trigger the camera at all or for the required time. I've adjusted the "before" and "after" recording times to catch more footage around the Motion Event.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
and? enabling motion recording does not necessarily disable continuous recording; thats the recommended way of using it
Ok. Hmm. Then how do I disable continuous recording?

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is that when you look at the playback screen? Have you got the solid blue bar on the time line at the bottom indicating "Continuous" is happening? Do you also have intermittent red sections which should be the Motion Events?

Mine seems to only be recording "Events" (ie. Motion.) Check under the "Recording" schedule that the days/ times for all the cameras are all green indicating "Event" instead of all blue which is "Continuous"- if that's how you want it to operate. Having both working (as Nayr said above) is probably the better way in case the Motion Event doesn't trigger the camera at all or for the required time. I've adjusted the "before" and "after" recording times to catch more footage around the Motion Event.
Right. On playback, there is a solid, continuous blue line at the bottom. No blanks or missing video segments like there should be.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From memory on the playback blue= continuous, red= motion and green= smart event (cuts off extra footage around the motion detection.)

You change what you're recording in the "Recording" menu that I mentioned previously. You should currently have "Continuous" (blue) for all days/ times. You need to select the Dahua camera, then click on "Edit", then "Motion" option (green) and then highlight all the days/ times (they should change to green) and then click "Apply". That should give you only recording with motion detected.

I changed one of Hikvisions to "Continuous" (leaving motion also selected) and in playback it had the "Continuous" (blue) solid bar with smaller green "Smart" markers below it where there was motion detected. It would be nice if there was also the red bar displayed with "Motion" scheduled (which is the detections + your pre/ post record time.) I'm not sure if it's possible to configure all three?

I don't think the Dahua will give any green "Motion" "Smart" flags below the "Continuous" blue recording in playback if it's left in Continuous in the recording schedule? I'll have to try that again.

I also edited an above post with the audio types the NVR is supposed to work with - they're G722.1 and G711 . (I've had problems when using them :rolleyes: , from what I've found the NVR seems happier with lower sampling rates like 16kHz.)

I'm also wondering what device over rules if you change a common setting in the NVR and Dahua camera?

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
More info- the bad audio seems to be a mixture of problems. Turning the noise filter off seems to be best to stop the pitch changing on voices all the time.

@wapaper59 have you managed to get the green "Smart" motion alerts below the blue continuous recording line with the Dahua? It puts them on for the Hikvision cameras with motion detection enabled, but nothing for the Dahua.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
More info- the bad audio seems to be a mixture of problems. Turning the noise filter off seems to be best to stop the pitch changing on voices all the time.

@wapaper59 have you managed to get the green "Smart" motion alerts below the blue continuous recording line with the Dahua? It puts them on for the Hikvision cameras with motion detection enabled, but nothing for the Dahua.
No. I don't get that either.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's a small feature, but one I'd really like to have. I guess I'll put that camera in a position where an intruder will have to pass my Hikvisions first. (I've got three Hik's covering the driveway/ front of the house, but they don't cover the recessed verandah/front door. The audio of the Dahua will also be best utilised in that position.)

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another setting to check - the HTTP Port matches on the Dahua to the Hikvision NVR. I reset my Dahua camera and it defaulted to a different port....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Wondered if anyone has managed to get Hikvision NVR to recognise Dahua camera motion sensor? If so how?
Yes, when connected as ONVIF and when/if the camera generates ONVIF event notifications.
Check if it does by using ONVIF Device Manager (sourceforge.net) and checking the Events page for any instances.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You also need to set-up the Dahua via its Web based interface.

You won't get any motion events shown on the NVR during playback (on the time line) from what I've found. You'll need to do a manual search and then playback each event manually, a PITA.

Reaction score
Yes, when connected as ONVIF and when/if the camera generates ONVIF event notifications.
Check if it does by using ONVIF Device Manager (sourceforge.net) and checking the Events page for any instances.
Hi, I downloaded and ran Onvif Device Manager - its shows no events listed.
Just notice at the top of events it says: Error During Events Subscription
Resource Unknown

I then went into Dauha settings (web interface) - Event - Video Detection - Motion Detection (which is enabled) and checked Area (this shows motion being detected as little red squares).

Is there a setting I need to select.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I downloaded and ran Onvif Device Manager - its shows no events listed.
You provided valid logon details - top left of the window?
Does it show Live Video, profiles, Analytics etc OK?

Not all ONVIF implementations support event notifications - and I'm not sure if this varies across specific Dahua models and firmware versions.

Reaction score
You provided valid logon details - top left of the window?
Does it show Live Video, profiles, Analytics etc OK?

Not all ONVIF implementations support event notifications - and I'm not sure if this varies across specific Dahua models and firmware versions.
yeah, Logged in ok thanks. the below are the results of each subheading. camera is a Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A

Onvif
id, Time settings, Maintenace, netweork setting, user management, system log and web page all work fine.
certification - this optional method is not implemented .
Events - error during events subscription

NVT
Profile, rules, analytics work
image settings, video streaming and live video - object reference not set to an instance of an object.