No video feed over the WAN

tneutgens

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new install of Blue Iris, just moving from Milestone and I am having one annoying issue I can't seem to resolve. When I am running the mobile Android app over WAN I can't view the video feeds. I am familiar with networking and opening ports on my firewall, etc but for some reason I can't get this working.

Mobile app while on the LAN works perfectly
Web browser on my phone while on the LAN works perfectly
Web browser on my phone while on the WAN works perfectly
Mobile app while on WAN 9AT&T 4G LTE) allows me to change settings, receive alerts, but not live video.

I have attempted to contact support but apparently my issue is of no interest. At first I opened up a ticket on their Support System but now the link to their Support Desk has mysteriously vanished and when I use a cache'd link to get there I can see that my tickets mysteriously disappear as well. At first I did receive a response asking for login info to troubleshoot but once I supplied that I got no response. I tried emailing support as well but haven't received a response, I am still holding out hope since it's only been a day or two since I emailed once I realized my tickets were disappearing.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 AT&T on 4G LTE running Andriod Version 4.4.2 and the latest version of the Blue Iris mobile app. I don't think it's an app problem since it works while on LAN and I don't think it's firewall problem since it works through the browser.

On my phone while on 4G LTE I average at least 11Mbps down. On the server running Blue Iris I average at least 11Mbps up so I don't think bandwidth is an issue.

Any thoughts on what else it could be?

Thanks,
Trent

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, Welcome to the forum.
The support desk feature is new so there may be some bugs to work out. Keep in mind that the BI developer is one guy, Ken. There is no team, so sometimes it takes a while to get a response, but i generally hear back from him within a few hours, even on weekends, so you may want to check your spam folder.
Here is my suggestion, check for an update in the andriod store (there were two updates in one day published yesterday because of a playback issue). If that doesnt resolve your problem, reboot your blue iris machine, and as a last resort, uninstall and reinstall the mobile app. Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I want to apologize for the ticket system issue as I am the creator / developer of the new Blue Iris website. The support desk was removed, Ken was getting bombarded with support tickets and as @fenderman said, it's just him. The support desk was basically another inbox for him so he answered all current tickets and then we took it down for now. Please use the contact page to contact him - http://blueirissoftware.com/contact/ . He is the sole creator of the software and he is the support team and he is always great at responding to clients, the reason for the delay now is because of the new system that we have implemented. There's always the option of posting here on the forum for support as well :D

On to your problem...It sounds like you are experiencing an issue that was resolved last night. Please make sure you have downloaded the latest (last night) release of the Android app. If you are on the latest version, try doing what @fenderman said (also make sure you are on the latest version of the desktop software).

Best of luck.

Last edited:

tneutgens

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the responses. I wasn't aware it was a one man shop over there.

I checked for updates in the Android store, was up to date. Decided to uninstall/reinstall to make sure I had the latest greatest. No change.
Rebooted Blue Iris machine. No change.
Tried Blue Iris both as a service and just running it as a program. No change.

It's weird because on the Camera List page of the App I can see the thumbnails updating so it is definitely receiving the video data. But when I touch on one of the cameras to view the feed I just get the neverending circle and Loading...

If anyone is bored and wants to see try connecting from their device please send me a private message and I will set up some temporary credentials for you to try.

Thanks

Cyborg10

n3wb
Reaction score
I am experiencing this same issue. I can logon to BI app on Moto X Pure, can see thumbnails of cameras and clips and access the server profiles etc.. However if attempting to play a clip or access live view you just get the message "loading..." with no feed. If anyone finds a solution please post it for everyone. Looks like this problem only is impacting a few users. I have seen this on two of my Android devices out of about 6. I really need this to work on my phone more then anywhere else. Thanks!