No videos on BI app..

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Except that this is 30 dollars not 30k. Furthermore, keeping your car does not require the manufacturer to do any extra work but nice try... Again your rants will not help you.... You will not get anywhere complaining... You will be forced to upgrade...
And there it is. "You will be forced to upgrade".

'Forced'.

Not cool.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And there it is. "You will be forced to upgrade".

'Forced'.

Not cool.
Yes because you foolishly upgraded the app despite your allegation that everything was working fine. Bad move. Now you will pay... Too freaking bad.. There is nothing you can do.. No one can help, no one cares...

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes because you foolishly upgraded the app despite your allegation that everything was working fine. Bad move. Now you will pay... Too freaking bad.. There is nothing you can do.. No one can help, no one cares...
You sound like some sort of supervillain. "You foolishly upgraded, NOW YOU WILL PAY! MUUUAHAHAHAHAHAH. In these forums NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM".

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You sound like some sort of supervillain. "You foolishly upgraded, NOW YOU WILL PAY! MUUUAHAHAHAHAHAH. In these forums NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM".
Exactly. I am actually getting a bit of pleasure out of it. It kills you to pay the measly 30 dollars. You are seething inside. Yet, you have no other option. :mad-new:. Makes my day. Keep bitching and moaning, its gonna get you really far. There is NOTHING you can do. No one can hear you scream. No one cares. Go look for another vms.

mikcole

n3wb
Reaction score
Some sympathy here for version 3 users. I am a long time satisfied user of Blue Iris (version 2 then 3) and haven't upgraded from 3 because I am successfully running my system on some ridiculously wimpy hardware. To be honest you can't state that the app will run on version 3 then retroactively change that condition because of some new, unannounced implementation.

That being said, I always back up my mission critical apps so I did have an older version available to reinstall. If this issue with the new version(s) can't be resolved I will consider making it available for download.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty crappie to force everyone to purchase your upgraded version whether they like it or not. I don't like 4 which is why I personally still use 3! Especially since I think that if it wasn't for this forum, BI would be no where near as popular as it is!
Probably less then 1% of the Blue Iris users are on this forum.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't mind upgrading if I see the need. I'm not sure when I 'demonstrated that I refuse to ever upgrade'. You're so moany and bitchy about wanting people to spend money. This is what I imagine a conversation in real life would be like between us:

ME: Hey man. Do you like my car? I just got it 18 months ago. I bought a cool stereo for it too but they just updated the firmware so it doesn't connect to my phone any more.

YOU: BUY A NEW CAR YOU CHEAPSKATE.

ME: But....my car works fine, it's just the firmware in my stereo that's the issue.....

YOU: STOP BUYING FOOD AND BUY A NEW CAR YOU FREAKING TIGHTWAD.

ME: Cool.
What? Non-Sequitur

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We're clearly viewing from two very different standpoints. As an end user who seeks basic functionality, all I'm interested in is a stable product that continues to function reliably. The software is great. The let down is the Android App. If I'd known the app would break functionality I wouldn't have updated. Now, how hard is it to provide a download of a previous version apk or allow users to roll back? That would be great.

Your attitude towards this is very assuming and arrogant. Do you have a vested interest in the software? Why do you assume that everyone should want to upgrade? What makes you think that people are being cheap because they don't feel the need to upgrade? All these points you're trying to make are very subjective and come across as if you believe that you are the definitive voice of reason on the subject.

As I said previously, I'm a very undemanding end user. I'm not suggesting the developer should do extra work. Quite the opposite in my case. As far as I'm concerned I got my money's worth when I paid 18 months ago. I just want the product I paid for 18 months ago.

I don't think that's unreasonable.
Software updates with technology. You paid $680.00 for a new phone, your phone is no longer compatible with the old version of Blue Iris. Blame the phone, not the Blue Iris author. He released a new version compatible with that fancy phone, added many new features. 18 Months, most software updates every 12. Go back to your old phone, update or find another VMS you like. Yes, you are unreasonable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@wcrowder, its not the phone. The issue is that the android app no longer plays alerts if you are running V3 of the server. You can still play back clips no problem from the calendar. Regardless, its 30 bux...folks are being petty..makes me sick...

Last edited by a moderator:

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They dont get it...petty, petty complainers...it amazes me...
Yeah, got fired up. Was editing that post and just gave up and deleted the whole thing... People don't know a good thing when they have it.

Go to BlueIris.com, the author has the right to charge for Major updates, he doesn't do it very often. If you choose not to update that is your right. But if you don't, your version is not guaranteed to work with future versions of his apps and utilities. If you don't like it look for cheaper software... Good Luck...

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. Intended as humour. Sorry if it confused you.

Some sympathy here for version 3 users. I am a long time satisfied user of Blue Iris (version 2 then 3) and haven't upgraded from 3 because I am successfully running my system on some ridiculously wimpy hardware. To be honest you can't state that the app will run on version 3 then retroactively change that condition because of some new, unannounced implementation.

That being said, I always back up my mission critical apps so I did have an older version available to reinstall. If this issue with the new version(s) can't be resolved I will consider making it available for download.
Yup. Lesson learned here. I'll be backing up my apps regularly. These guys can't see past the low price of the software and the fact it's a small independent developer. You should just keep paying no matter what your circumstances, apparently?!

I'm running 2 cams on a weedy HP microserver. I'm really satisfied with the software - I hope I made that clear. My issue is with the app and the fact that support for 3.x was dropped without even being mentioned. I didn't update knowing full well I'd lose alert playback. I updated then later on the app description was changed to state that it is only compatible with v4.x

Luckily, I hadn't updated all of my android devices and have pulled an older apk from one of them which I've installed on my other devices.

Software updates with technology. You paid $680.00 for a new phone, your phone is no longer compatible with the old version of Blue Iris. Blame the phone, not the Blue Iris author. He released a new version compatible with that fancy phone, added many new features. 18 Months, most software updates every 12. Go back to your old phone, update or find another VMS you like. Yes, you are unreasonable.
No new phone. I updated the app. Read carefully.

@wcrowder, its not the phone. The issue is that the android app no longer plays alerts if you are running V3 of the server. You can still play back clips no problem from the calendar. Regardless, its 30 bux...folks are being petty..makes me sick...
A fool and his money are easily parted. Would your attitude be the same if it was a big corp. doing the same?
I'm in for $80 (software and 2 copies of app) 18 months ago, happy with everything then an update removes functionality for me (yes, yes, yes, I know, it's an improvement for the user base as a whole etc etc). Maybe I'm out of touch with how this works but I've never come across this type of setup. Please provide an example if I'm way off here, seriously. I've been racking my brain and can't think of a single time I purchased an app then lost functionality with an app update. I suppose there's always a first time....

They dont get it...petty, petty complainers...it amazes me...
Welcome to the internet. There are far worse than me here. I'm a happy customer with a minor issue. I try to be nice. If my questions come across as "bitching, moaning, complaining and petty" you're seriously going to get a shock when you step outside ipcamtalk.

Too smug for your own good in here guys. Not a welcoming or helpful place at all. I hope I'm wrong though as I'm sure there are lots of people who would benefit from help here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Yup. Lesson learned here. I'll be backing up my apps regularly. These guys can't see past the low price of the software and the fact it's a small independent developer. You should just keep paying no matter what your circumstances, apparently?!

I'm running 2 cams on a weedy HP microserver. I'm really satisfied with the software - I hope I made that clear. My issue is with the app and the fact that support for 3.x was dropped without even being mentioned. I didn't update knowing full well I'd lose alert playback. I updated then later on the app description was changed to state that it is only compatible with v4.x

Luckily, I hadn't updated all of my android devices and have pulled an older apk from one of them which I've installed on my other devices.

No new phone. I updated the app. Read carefully.

A fool and his money are easily parted. Would your attitude be the same if it was a big corp. doing the same?
I'm in for $80 (software and 2 copies of app) 18 months ago, happy with everything then an update removes functionality for me (yes, yes, yes, I know, it's an improvement for the user base as a whole etc etc). Maybe I'm out of touch with how this works but I've never come across this type of setup. Please provide an example if I'm way off here, seriously. I've been racking my brain and can't think of a single time I purchased an app then lost functionality with an app update. I suppose there's always a first time....

Welcome to the internet. There are far worse than me here. I'm a happy customer with a minor issue. I try to be nice. If my questions come across as "bitching, moaning, complaining and petty" you're seriously going to get a shock when you step outside ipcamtalk.

Too smug for your own good in here guys. Not a welcoming or helpful place at all. I hope I'm wrong though as I'm sure there are lots of people who would benefit from help here.
So leave and don't let the door hit your cheap ass on the way out..You don't deserve to be using blue iris. The level of cheapness is sickening. You are wrong, there are over 13000 people who benefit from the site (and that is just registered users)..Its just that we dont appreciate folks who bitch and feel entitled to lifetime support. Look at the VMS competition and then come back here, they offer as little as 90 days of updates and support. They also charge 100 per camera in licensing and dont care about when you purchased your license. You got your monies with with blue iris. 30 dollars is a drop in the bucket. A fool is someone who refuses to pay the 30 dollars despite SECURITY and functional improvements. Outside of ipcamtalk, i send clients like to packing before they waste my time. I am not shocked that you a bitching and complaining (i know just your type), I just dont have to listen to it and i'm setting your straight. Dont like it? You know where the door is.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man this has gone way further than intended geesh! I will be upgrading, but for a small business like myself, to find out the hard way that this upgrade caused an earlier feature not to work really affects me. Now I have to upgrade my customers due to this issue. I can't have them foot the bill for the upgrade now. In the alarm business software upgrades are free provided by the manufacturer. The total cost is factored into the initial cost.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Yeah, well... You are not going to like this, but here it goes. Blue Iris should update to 5.0 when it adds GPU support and up it's price to like $199.00... May I suggest Milestone Systems, 12 camera license costs $1,189.00, you still have to buy the hardware...

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Man this has gone way further than intended geesh! I will be upgrading, but for a small business like myself, to find out the hard way that this upgrade caused an earlier feature not to work really affects me. Now I have to upgrade my customers due to this issue. I can't have them foot the bill for the upgrade now. In the alarm business software upgrades are free provided by the manufacturer. The total cost is factored into the initial cost.
The alarm systems are selling hardware and supporting it with software. Write your own VMS, then you can sell that too... :)

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Point I'm making is this. When you're running a business especially dealing with residential customers, the last thing you want to do is sell them a product that you knowingly will have to either up charge initially due to the cost of future upgrades or charge them afterwards for the upgrade so that their product will continue to work. It's easier to charge more one time initially with free upgrades.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Point I'm making is this. When you're running a business especially dealing with residential customers, the last thing you want to do is sell them a product that you knowingly will have to either up charge initially due to the cost of future upgrades or charge them afterwards for the upgrade so that their product will continue to work. It's easier to charge more one time initially with free upgrades.
How long did you promise software updates for? If you intend to offer lifetime upgrades then you need to change your business model and build that cost into the price. In the VMS industry, blue iris is extremely generous. Exacq for example does not provide update after 90 days unless you buy a service pack or buy the server hardware from them...thats after they charge you 100 PER camera licencing. They dont care if you purchased the license 1 month before the new version. Want the new version, pony up..
The beauty of blue iris is that not only does he provide updates, they are often new feature updates which others tend to save for new software releases. The fact that folks fail to appreciate that is disturbing to me.

If a customer balks at paying 30 dollars for an update that will last at least another two years, then you dont need them as a customer. If your margin is so low that 30 dollars makes any significant difference then you need to reexamine your model. Any software has a limited life span and its expected that an upgrade be purchased. 30 dollars is a drop in the bucket - not only due to the low price, but the TONS of added features. This should be a non issue.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It should be a non issue based on whom. People are trying to get the best bang for their dollar. Folks will go to a completely different car dealership over 30 dollars. If you think they won't go to your competition over a 30 dollar difference than I don't know what area of wealth you're in. Why do you think folks purchase cams on Alie instead of from Nellys, Wrightwood or LTS? It's the same practice for me in the alarm business. If I can offer the same alarm package for 5.00 less than my competition to get the customer who do you think they'll go with. Trust me, BI is an excellent product. For me I will have to factor in the initial cost all future version upgrade cost into my inital cost, so that every year I don't have to charge an additional 30 dollars or more, when an nvr has no software upgrade cost.