Non Plugin IP Camera

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New here, but getting frustrated. Maybe I'm just old school.

Is the concept of a web based GUI IP Camera just a thing of the past now? I hate using my smartphone to have to view cameras with various apps, I just want to be able to call up Google or Edge and type in an IP address and not install a report all plugin.

Is this asking too much?

I know a few of the new Amcrest cameras are finally going away from plugin to Javascript, are any others?

Ideally I want a wireless, outdoor PTZ IP camera that can record to an SD card and viewable from a web browser with no plugin. Any suggestions?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to get an outdoor IP PTZ camera, ideally the Amcrest IP2M-853ew, but I believe it uses an old style plugin.

What models of Dahua and Hikvision cameras are outdoor IP PTZ that don't require a plugin?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My new Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM appears to use HTML5 video. Here's the relevant section of the its web page:

Code:
<video id="videoplayer" style="position: absolute; display: block;" width="100%" height="100%" preload="auto" src="blob:http://192.168.1.45/47629253-6839-4d6b-b1e4-e2eab560d9ca"></video>
Many manufacturers are moving to HTML5, albeit slowly. Even Reolink's latest firmware serves HTML5 video, although they've abandoned a hardware version they were shipping up until 12 months ago.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is that camera a motorized PTZ camera?
No, my Amcrest camera is not. But I don't think it matters. On my Reolink PTZ RLC-423, the video player is Flash-based, but the PTZ controls are .js. Here's the source:

Code:
<div id="ptz_dir_control_container" class="pre_ptz_control_item" >
     <a href="javascript:void(0)" id="ptz_dir_up_lef" ptz-ac="LeftUp" title="Up Left" class="pre_ptz_dir_icon ptz-action-cmd pre_ptz_up_left"></a>
     <a href="javascript:void(0)" id="ptz_dir_up_center" ptz-ac="Up" title="Up" class="pre_ptz_dir_icon ptz-action-cmd pre_ptz_up"></a>
     <a href="javascript:void(0)" id="ptz_dir_up_right" ptz-ac="RightUp" title="Up Right" class="pre_ptz_dir_icon ptz-action-cmd pre_ptz_up_right"></a>
     <a href="javascript:void(0)" id="ptz_dir_center_lef" ptz-ac="Left" title="Left" class="pre_ptz_dir_icon ptz-action-cmd pre_ptz_left"></a>
     <a href="javascript:void(0)" id="ptz_dir_center" title="Scan Automatically" class="pre_ptz_dir_icon pre_ptz_scan"></a>
     <a href="javascript:void(0)" id="ptz_dir_center_right" ptz-ac="Right" title="Right" class="pre_ptz_dir_icon ptz-action-cmd pre_ptz_right"></a>
     <a href="javascript:void(0)" id="ptz_dir_down_lef" ptz-ac="LeftDown" title="Down Left" class="pre_ptz_dir_icon ptz-action-cmd pre_ptz_down_left"></a>
     <a href="javascript:void(0)" id="ptz_dir_down_center" ptz-ac="Down" title="Down" class="pre_ptz_dir_icon ptz-action-cmd pre_ptz_down"></a>
     <a href="javascript:void(0)" id="ptz_dir_down_right" ptz-ac="RightDown" title="Down Right" class="pre_ptz_dir_icon ptz-action-cmd pre_ptz_down_right"></a>
</div>
I did some snooping awhile back, and the .js just spits out JSON via HTTP, which you can emulate with curl. So it's nothing fancy.

If Reolink still supported hardware version IPC_3816M with firmware updates (but they don't :angry: ) they could swap out the Flash element with an HTML element and not change the PTZ controls section.

Does anyone out there have a PTZ camera that serves HTML5 video from its web server? Can you inspect the code?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ya, I need an outdoor PTZ IP camera with wifi that doesn't use a plugin....

Haven't been able to find one, hence why I came here asking :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any of the new Dahua cameras will work without a plug in. Dahua has been upgrading firmware to eliminate that requirement.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any camera can be made wireless with a dedicated RF link like a Ubiquity Nano Loco M5. You gave no other specs. Have a look here for reviews. Remember, Amcrest is downgraded Dahua, features removed to get the price down. Above all don't fall into the megapixel trap. 2MP is fine when it has decent optics, unless you're producing an epic movie.

Read the Cliff Notes in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Read and study before you buy a camera and end up wasting money because you don't know what makes a good camera. Don't rely on nice, color, night time shots in advertising. Look for night time video with motion.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those Dahau cameras are really expensive...was looking for something more in the $200 tops range....

Reaction score
Oh, OK, why didn't you say so in the beginning? You will not find a $200 range PTZ with a 1/1.8" sensor in 2020. Maybe in 2028 based on tech advancement and prices dropping over time. A decent fixed cam with a 1/1.8" sensor is about $190-220.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Not sure what a 1/1.8" sensors is needed for what I want.
Sorry. Got this thread confused with another that was asking about PTZ with 1/1.8" sensor.

That Amcrest camera looks to be the Dahua SD1A203T-GN. Dahua makes cams for Amcrest. I have two of the Dahuas but use them indoors. It is generally recommended not to use domes outdoors. The domes are prone to collecting dirt, water marks, and the UV fogs the dome over time.

Interesting that there is a question posted on 12/16/20 asking about the need for a plugin which the reply was maybe in the future.