Noob cannot locate camera on network

spudman99

n3wb
Reaction score
I hope I am not too stupid for asking this and not bothering the more knowledgeable folks herein

I purchased the IPC -T2231T-ZS from Andy couple weeks ago. Took an existing Dell i5-6400 2.7gh with 12gb memory and stripped it down and reloaded a clean windows 10 install. Purchased a Netgear 8 switch POE GS108LP. Cables for now are all Cat5e professional, not patch ones I made from my cat6 lines

I connected the switch to the puter, cabled to the camera and ran an internet connection to the switch which is unmanaged. For whatever reason I cannot access the camera from the Blue Iris software I downloaded, the Dahau PSS software, nor directly from an internet browser using the 192.168.1.108 address. (quick photo of my testing layout)

camera.jpg

I am sure I am making a mistake here, but can someone guide me as to how I can locate or identify the camera on the network? Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I connected the switch to the puter, cabled to the camera and ran an internet connection to the switch which is unmanaged. For whatever reason I cannot access the camera from the Blue Iris software I downloaded, the Dahau PSS software, nor directly from an internet browser using the 192.168.1.108 address. (quick photo of my testing layout)
Hook up a port on the switch to your router / gateway.
I'm guessing the PC is using DHCP so in the absence of access to the DHCP server in the router it's using a 'self-administered IP address' which is in a different range from the fixed address of the camera.

edit
Missed this :
"ran an internet connection to the switch"

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As above, it's to do with different IP ranges.

As an alternative to hooking up your router to the switch, you could manually assign an IP in the 192.168.1.x/24 (e.g. 192.168.1.100) on your pc.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Uhmmm shouldnt there be 3 cables connected to the switch? only see 2

PC
Camera
Router (Internet connection)

Then, assuming your router is using DHCP range 192.168.1.x , both your PC and camera will be on the same network and you'll be able to reach it at 192.168.1.108

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is the local IP of your router ?
What is the local IP for your BI PC ?

you need three cables.
1) switch to the router
2) switch to the computer
3) switch to the camera

System design note: The local video traffic should never pass through the router
======================================
Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Note there is no reason to redact local ip addresses when posting.

Last edited:

spudman99

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, and many thanks for your responses.

I used the Dahau config tool and that worked in identifying and activating my camera. I did not realize that the three steps are 1: initialize the camera, 2: establish password, 3: establish or maintain the proper ip setting.

All is well and again I appreciate your help. Andy will be getting several camera order soon as a fill out my system.