Noob here needing help with first system

kanaga

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased a Samsung surveillance system with the mistaken belief that since it had more channels than cameras, I would be able to add a few wireless cameras for the back side of my shed. While looking for, and not finding, wireless cameras that would work with this system, I found information about IP camera system. The Samsung system is going back to the store.

Now I just need a little advice on setting up a system with Blue Iris. I will need 8-10 cameras with 3 or 4 being wireless. Do the wireless cameras use Wi-Fi, or do they have a receiver that plugs into a switch or router? The location for the wireless cameras currently has pretty weak signal from my router.

From what I understand, a computer with an Intel core i5 4th generation or newer and 8gb of memory would be needed. Are there any other specs that I should look for?

For PoE cameras, is there any hardware that I will need in addition to a PoE switch? Also are there any specific brands or models that are more reliable?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
welcome, most all this is covered in mult threads just spend a little time looking around the forum.

Also - just say no to wireless. Friends don't let Friends install wireless cameras! :headbang:

kanaga

n3wb
Reaction score
I only plan to use wireless on the back of my shed where it would not be easy to run wires

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You buy Samsung tv's and phones maybe even blu ray player but you don't buy Samsung security cameras! I'm a Samsung fan boy. and even i and understand it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You buy Samsung tv's and phones maybe even blu ray player but you don't buy Samsung security cameras! I'm a Samsung fan boy. and even i and understand it.
I wouldnt buy a samsung phone either...until the figure out a way to allow OS and security updates direct from google....
The do make some really nice lightweight laptops though..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I only plan to use wireless on the back of my shed where it would not be easy to run wires
Do you have line of sight from your house? search the forum for ubiquiti...
also, buy cameras with SD card storage as backup..

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you can't run wires, (best solution), then Ubiquity as stated is a good solution. I like this blog post from Nelly's Security as it explains how it works pretty well. Pre-Configured Pair of Ubiquiti Nano Station Loco M5 Wireless Access Points
As Fenderman points out, you will need line of sight for this to work.

Also Powerline might work if the shed is not to far and on the same electrical panel. These are little adapters that transmit "ethernet" over your power wires. It is the cheapest way but has some limitations.

Good luck!

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
X2 on the Ubiquiti products. I have them in my house and RV Trailer (Gotta pick up the WiFi at the campground). I have 1 wireless camera, and that is a camera we move around the house just to keep an eye on the pup. Wireless cameras will eat up your WiFi bandwidth fast.

kanaga

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks NoloC, that definitely looks like a good solution for the places where I was planning to use wireless cameras

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - I posted a summary of items I've learned here recently while looking to get a decent security camera setup, some of these links you may find useful.
Looking for some advice and direction!

Also - if you plan to keep this property, DO think about wired options to the shed.
As mentioned, Powerline may work well.

Also
Direct Burial Cat 6 maybe an option, depending on the ground.
Checkout how easy it can be if the ground conditions are good: