Noob Needing help with a Lorex NR 916-N NVR

Bass

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I was asked to help troubleshoot a problem with an existing Lorex system. I have no background except that I can fumble my way through things.

The NVR, like mentioned in the title, is a NR-916-N. The complaint was that it wasn’t displaying camera output. On listening to it, it felt like it was rebooting constantly. With a quick google, I saw that this seemed to be a common problem. So I followed the troubleshooting steps found on the Lorex website;
1. ensure we are properly powered by hooking it up straight to the wall
2. Boot with hard disks disconnected to ensure corrupted hard disks aren’t the problem (and then attempt to reset to default settings)

The result;
The NVR boots with a Lorex splash screen. Splash screen goes away. It beeps loudly a few times (no clear interval). Then nothing. No menu.. no mouse control.. no nothing.

A ticket entered at Lorex was no help. I haven’t tried their help line, but I see the horror stories about their support.

Would you guys have any ideas? Is my NVR dead?

Bass

n3wb
Reaction score
So I got through to Lorex on the phone today. I described the problem as well as the steps I have taken so far. The technician on the other side commented that with the recent upgrade, they are seeing issues with display resolution on various customer devices. As a result, the screen doesn't display anything. He immediately wanted to start a "Bombard" session with me on a computer on the same network as the NVR so that he could back door into the NVR and reset the resolution. I did this from work and don't have access to the device or network and will have to follow up later. I asked if I could do this myself, and he basically said no.

However my question;

1. Can I not do this myself? If i were to look at the LAN network, is there a way for me to enter the system myself?
2. Anyone hear of a "Bombard" session before?
3. Am I being taken for a ride?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I got through to Lorex on the phone today. I described the problem as well as the steps I have taken so far. The technician on the other side commented that with the recent upgrade, they are seeing issues with display resolution on various customer devices. As a result, the screen doesn't display anything. He immediately wanted to start a "Bombard" session with me on a computer on the same network as the NVR so that he could back door into the NVR and reset the resolution. I did this from work and don't have access to the device or network and will have to follow up later. I asked if I could do this myself, and he basically said no.

However my question;

1. Can I not do this myself? If i were to look at the LAN network, is there a way for me to enter the system myself?
2. Anyone hear of a "Bombard" session before?
3. Am I being taken for a ride?
Hi @Bass

A1) You can, they just don't want to tell people details to the backdoor and do not trust the average person to do the work.
A2) Bombard - yes, it is a remote session.

I don't think the tech is being deceptive.

Personally I don't like people remote connecting into my network.. so I would just return the NVR to them to fix, and I would ask them to pay for the shipping both ways.

If lorex blew it on the firmware updates - well, that is on them.