Noob with Lorex LNR380 looking for advice.

K12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey,

Bunch of years back I upgraded my DVR to an NVR purchased at CostCo. Got the LNR380 with the cameras (Mix of MCND2152 and MCNB2153). Much like all other consumer electronics it became obsolete after I took it out of the box!

First, they stopped supporting the Android app, they cut "cloud" service I guess which I fixed by using a VPN, then I had the email issue that others talk about here which I eventually fixed (don't remember how), and recently after a power failure the unit would not come back up.

I took it apart and saw the bulging electrolytic capacitors and changed them- still won't boot (it has power).

After swearing to never buy another Lorex product again (not that it matters, they are all the same) I decided to stop "messing" with this 5-year-old unit and buy a new NVR. If I stick with Lorex, I won't have to change the cameras immediately (Not thrilled about going on a 30-foot ladder to change cameras in the winter). NOPE.

I picked up the Lorex TN84628A8-E from Costco. Plugged it in, and it recognizes all of the old cameras but won't do much else. Screen says, "to be upgraded". Waste of time call to Lorex, they tell me "Yup, won't work. Too bad". Clearly this is by design as all of the equipment should be ONVIF. So, I started reading up on how the Lorex stuff is really just HIKVISION. Discovered that the MCND2152 is a DS-2CD2132-I and the board in the LNR380 has a tag "DS-80109" which looks to be the DS-780xN-SH from HIKVISION.

There are some articles, videos and posts (on this forum) that talk about NVR's that won't boot. Using TFTP to install new firmware, etc. Similarly, there are processes to upgrade the firmware on the cameras. Will these procedures work on the Lorex hardware (even if it is then running as HIKVISION)? If so, where do I find the correct English firmware?

At this point, I have a few options. I also have some parameters I'd like to work within and of course some preferences. I can still return the Lorex TN84628A8-E to Costco, which would be nice because I really hate rewarding their bad behavior with another sale. But I also realize this is how most consumer electronics work and it still may be the best solution for me. In the end I want the best value NVR system with the least amount of work. Not looking to use a PC based system, or anything else I have to perpetually "hack". I prefer an appliance.

Option 1: Figure out how to fix my LNR380. Possibly flash it and the cameras with the latest HIKVISION firmware. Return the Lorex TN84628A8-E to Costco.
Option 2: Flash the cameras with the latest HIKVISION firmware, in hopes that they will work with the Lorex TN84628A8-E. Swap the cameras in the spring.
Option 3: Get Lorex out of my life and find something as good if not better. (Maybe buy a new NVR that will work with the old Lorex cameras for now).

Probably other options too, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can always go to Blue Iris, you can download a 15 day trial.

When you buy cheap, as in a NVR all in one kit, you get what you pay for.
Many of us here are running 4mp cams from Dahua, that are going on 3 yr's old, and are fair from being obsolete to this day.
They would run circles around your Lorex cams that I'm betting are 1/3" sensor with 2.8 mm lens that do poorly at night.
An NVR is just a stripped down PC, that happens to run Linux.

There is nothing about running BI on a used pc that requires any "hacking".
It's not any harder to setup than a NVR, but function wise it will run circles around most any NVR. Many threads here discussing this.
In your case, to get started return the Lorex, and buy a good POE switch such as this one: Link

Then study this: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris
Then purchase a used PC from Ebay for less than $200.00 Example Here: Link
The go to PC's best bet is the HP Elitedesk SFF i5-8500, it would allow for expansion if you find the need, and is a good reliable running system.

Blue Iris purchased from this site is $55.00,
Study this: Wiki
And this: Cliff Notes

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

K12

n3wb
Reaction score
I kind of thought that would be the popular answer here, and I may end up doing that. But based on my layout, etc- still prefer an "appliance".

Do you know if Blue Iris will work with my older Lorex cameras? Possible I can put the latest HIKVISION firmware on them?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI will work with most any camera. No need to upgrade firmware. There is always risk of 'bricking' cams when updating firmware.
If you purchase a SFF pc, and put BI on it, you want to use it only as an appliance, nothing else on it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
VERY likely it will.

Hard to say...What say ye, @alastairstevenson ?
You could power up the cam, give it a unique static IP in the same subnet as the LAN that your PC's on (but outside of your router's DHCP pool) and if you can open its webGUI by putting that IP into your browser successfully, see if you can get an RTSP stream from it with VLC using this URL:

Code:
rtsp:/camera-username:camera-password@camera-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
Of course, insure 2 "/" after "rtsp:"; forum software won't allowing posting 2 consecutively.

If that works in VLC, it'll work with Blue Iris.

Last edited:

K12

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, I'm now thinking that particular Lorex cam is OEM'd by Dahua, not Hikvision.
I took it apart, and by all indications it is HIKVision.

If that works in VLC, it proves it's OEM'd by Dahua AND that it'll work with Blue Iris.
Yes, that works! But still wonder if I am not better off installing the latest HIKVision firmware (I read it has some more features, and better security).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that works! But still wonder if I am not better off installing the latest HIKVision firmware (I read it has some more features, and better security).
I'd research it well first to insure that any new firmware would either provide a feature that you consider a MUST have or an equally important security improvement because too many cams and NVR's get bricked just because folks want it to have the latest f/w only because it's the latest.

K12

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd research it well first to insure that any new firmware would either provide a feature that you consider a MUST have or an equally important security improvement because too many cams and NVR's get bricked just because folks want it to have the latest f/w only because it's the latest.
I think the latest firmware has better image quality (resolution)?? No idea how accurate it is, but the Lorex firmware downgraded the picture quality. There was also the security flaw in the earlier HIKVision firmware, no idea if the Lorex firmware has the same problem.

Interesting development, but not sure it changes my situation- I was able to get the old cameras working on the new NVR by resetting the passwords in the camera config on the NVR.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There was also the security flaw in the earlier HIKVision firmware, no idea if the Lorex firmware has the same problem.
FWIW, most on this forum will suggest prohibiting Internet access by the cams anyway, for just such reasons. :cool:

K12

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I was able to install the latest HIKVision firmware on the Lorex camera using the TFTP method.

What is interesting is that the TFTP software shows "test tftpserver" in the log when I try to power on the LNR380.. Gives me hope that I can fix it? Also makes me wonder if Lorex did not brick it on purpose.

Going to start a new thread on trying to unbrick the LNR380.

K12

n3wb
Reaction score
How is this for ironic, I was able to unbrick the LNR380!! Now, it won't work with the MCND2152 I upgraded with the HIKVision firmware! <SMH>

Lorex has no firmware files for stuff this old. Anyone happen to have the DAV fiile for MCND2152?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Good Job unbricking. Thats too hacky for me.....Sucks that the cam is now in the wrong version.
HIK in my experience with them on DVR's from Costco, like to force you into their Universe...( stuck buying "only works with" blah blah blah)
Fuck them.
Just wondering,,,,When did LOREX switch from Dahua to Hik or Vica Versa? what are they OEM-ed by today?
After setting up 4 NVR's and 2 BI machines,
I don't think it's any more hassle to run bi, than setting up an NVR.
I cant afford the time it takes to search an NVR time line, BI put's recent motions along the left side making it very fast at choosing events to playback.
It feels like " pack a lunch" if I want to hunt down an event in an NVR.
1672506893000.png
heres what the NVR shows me for playback. Jack shit.
1672506847563.png

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
both of these machines are hooked to the same cameras.
If im looking for a particular event, ( like what time I leave and get home each day) (To make my Time card)
I can do the whole week in 2-3 minutes on my BI machine beacuse the visual represent tation of events is more user freiendly than the NVR's timeline representation of events. YMMV

K12

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand why BI may be the better option for me in the long run, but for now I seem to be stuck on fixing what I have. Considering the hours I have into it, I would have been better off buying the POE+ switch, and a computer with BI.. But, not ready to give up yet!

With 7 other Lorex cameras that still work with the NVR, I am going to try a big more to either find a way to "downgrade" the camera back to Lorex or maybe try to install the HIKVision firmware on the NVR. Also still trying to figure out if I can configure the Lorex NVR to work with the HIKVision camera firmware. Seems that is a common question on this forum, but none of the solutions have worked for me (yet).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

Bunch of years back I upgraded my DVR to an NVR purchased at CostCo. Got the LNR380 with the cameras (Mix of MCND2152 and MCNB2153). Much like all other consumer electronics it became obsolete after I took it out of the box!

First, they stopped supporting the Android app, they cut "cloud" service I guess which I fixed by using a VPN, then I had the email issue that others talk about here which I eventually fixed (don't remember how), and recently after a power failure the unit would not come back up.

I took it apart and saw the bulging electrolytic capacitors and changed them- still won't boot (it has power).

After swearing to never buy another Lorex product again (not that it matters, they are all the same) I decided to stop "messing" with this 5-year-old unit and buy a new NVR. If I stick with Lorex, I won't have to change the cameras immediately (Not thrilled about going on a 30-foot ladder to change cameras in the winter). NOPE.

I picked up the Lorex TN84628A8-E from Costco. Plugged it in, and it recognizes all of the old cameras but won't do much else. Screen says, "to be upgraded". Waste of time call to Lorex, they tell me "Yup, won't work. Too bad". Clearly this is by design as all of the equipment should be ONVIF. So, I started reading up on how the Lorex stuff is really just HIKVISION. Discovered that the MCND2152 is a DS-2CD2132-I and the board in the LNR380 has a tag "DS-80109" which looks to be the DS-780xN-SH from HIKVISION.

There are some articles, videos and posts (on this forum) that talk about NVR's that won't boot. Using TFTP to install new firmware, etc. Similarly, there are processes to upgrade the firmware on the cameras. Will these procedures work on the Lorex hardware (even if it is then running as HIKVISION)? If so, where do I find the correct English firmware?

At this point, I have a few options. I also have some parameters I'd like to work within and of course some preferences. I can still return the Lorex TN84628A8-E to Costco, which would be nice because I really hate rewarding their bad behavior with another sale. But I also realize this is how most consumer electronics work and it still may be the best solution for me. In the end I want the best value NVR system with the least amount of work. Not looking to use a PC based system, or anything else I have to perpetually "hack". I prefer an appliance.

Option 1: Figure out how to fix my LNR380. Possibly flash it and the cameras with the latest HIKVISION firmware. Return the Lorex TN84628A8-E to Costco.
Option 2: Flash the cameras with the latest HIKVISION firmware, in hopes that they will work with the Lorex TN84628A8-E. Swap the cameras in the spring.
Option 3: Get Lorex out of my life and find something as good if not better. (Maybe buy a new NVR that will work with the old Lorex cameras for now).

Probably other options too, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Thanks!
FYI - adding info on kit .. and looking at the bullet camera this does look like a Hikvision OEM .. note, more recent kits branded by Lorex frequently are Dahua OEM, especially from the time that Dahua bought Lorex.

LNR380 = NVR

1672602376175.png
1672602473027.png

1672602552256.png
1672602587262.png

MCND2152

1672602664837.png

1672602690595.png

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @K12

Looks like the NVR actually lasted fairly long.

As those are hikvision oem cameras, their "native" api is Hikvision - so I'd return the Lorex NVR if it is Dahua OEM ( which appears to be the case )

For a quick, lets get it up option:
1) get a PoE switch,
2) Used PC .. and put hikvision's free vms on it .. IVMS-4200

you can also try Blue Iris instead of the Hikvision VMS ..

K12 said:
"With 7 other Lorex cameras that still work with the NVR, I am going to try a big more to either find a way to "downgrade" the camera back to Lorex or maybe try to install the HIKVision firmware on the NVR. Also still trying to figure out if I can configure the Lorex NVR to work with the HIKVision camera firmware. Seems that is a common question on this forum, but none of the solutions have worked for me (yet)."
The Lorex NVR .. I'd not even consider attempting to put Hikvision firmware on it .. I expect the boards and hardware to be difference from Dahua and Hikvision ..

The Lorex NVR should have ONVIF settings on the cameras .. and you need to see if the cameras can be set to ONVIF also ..

The Older Hikvision OEM NVR from lorex .. if you figureout how to recover that, that would be nice .. yet, imho due to the age could be a real challenge ..

Go the used PC route with Hikvision vms and a PoE switch imho .. better option for a quick recovery.

You can try BI later to see how you like it ..

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can have both( usually) most NVR's now are friendly for streaming into Blue iris and there are people here who can give you tips setting up a pc.
I started with a Costco Analog setup. Just as a passing iImpulse in the store one day..... my housemate offered to buy one if I installed it. I
felt I might be pushing her to take the Lorex at thr higher price point, but we ended up with a HIk based Nightowl 4 camera set up.

After I found this place, I realized I was way off base in my purchase. It has taken a couple years to phase out the Nightowl system ( 2 cams still running) and implement a Dahua based OEM ( amcrest).
What was apparent immediately was the finicky / iphone App. It would connect very unpredictably. for my housemate when she was at work it sucked,
So im moved the cameras over to a left over DVR/XVR from Amcrest ( Dahua OEM), and was able to use their App.
Night and day difference in stability and remote connecting.
Then I set up a Blue Iris instance on my home PC as something to learn on my own pace.
It quickly became my" go to " for reviewing events.

K12

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I plugged a laptop directly into the POE switch on the LNR380, and it did NOT get a DHCP address. The "HIKVision" camera was not getting an IP either. I hardcoded the address on the camera, but still no love.

So, I realized that the root of the problem is that the local POE switch built into the NVR is restricted to ONLY Lorex cameras! Wow, they spent an awful lot of time trying to lock you in to their crap!

By plugging the camera in to my regular network, getting a 192.168 address, the LNR380 is now able to connect to the HIKVision firmware camera.

The communists in China sure know a lot about capitalism!! :p Either way, I feel like I "won" this time.. but, would still be happy to get the correct Lorex firmware for my MCND2152, assuming I can downgrade it (I read that recent HIKVision firmware may do something to prevent that).

For now I am going to hook the LNR380 camera back up, less the one camera. I'll probably move to the BI system at some point.