Not worth it using cameras

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
May not ever use a camera again! They can get you into serious fucking trouble. Remember anything you own becomes property of police at thier will if it aids them. Nothing I did wrong but I'm short several thousand $ of eat.

DavidW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It would be nice to have additional information. Did one of your cameras have sight of something that the police are actively investigating? Did the court automatically subpoena you without asking or did you deny assistance from the beginning?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
May not ever use a camera again! They can get you into serious fucking trouble. Remember anything you own becomes property of police at thier will if it aids them. Nothing I did wrong but I'm short several thousand $ of eat.
Hi @Matt L.

Some more facts would be useful to better understand the situation and determine how to reduce risks.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Taking a camera is pretty useless in of itself. I can understand them taking the drive/memory card however.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Without any further information, I can only speculate the police seized your equipment via a search warrant. Again, only speculating, why would a search warrant be required. As others have said, your post needs more meat.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. We will be shutting down the forum asap as there is no need for the dangerous trouble making cameras.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
come on @Matt L. you gotta give us more than that. Unless you are one of those types that posts things on social media like "Well that sucks" or "Worst day of my life!" and nothing more so that all friends plead to find out what happened. My S-I-L does that all the time and it pisses me off!
haha, I have a few of those on my facebook.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s really set the cat amongst the pigeons now we just need more details.

I suspect that the police asked for footage and if any was provided it wasn’t to their liking so they’ve come and taken his NVR?

Reaction score
Maybe he committed a crime and recorded it on his own cameras and got himself in trouble, because that could fit the situation.

If the cameras caught an actual crime would the cops need to confiscate your NVR to preserve the video for prosecution? Would be good to know in case they show up to take my Blue iris computer, but my police department just wanted the video exported and provided.

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It would be nice to have additional information. Did one of your cameras have sight of something that the police are actively investigating? Did the court automatically subpoena you without asking or did you deny assistance from the beginning? ....
Understand your frustrations, clearly I can't divulge much. Let's just say you are very warm, and i am meticulous with saving surevilance, I had 6 years on a PC of compressed but not encrypted video. Not fun knowing someone is going thru that with a fine toothed comb. No subpoena, raided (no SWAT), search warrant, quite a circus. Not arrested thankfully.

My son is autistic and very DD, he requires special support. His room, particularly bed was on constant watch. He's a good natured kid most of the time.... Opinions differ widely, suffice it to say on how best handle those other times. That's too much even to say perhaps

My life is in tatters, and its directly jeopardized a friend. I lost kids wife, home, and facing charges. Due to be booked tommorow. Not all cameras fault. But be careful, you do not OWN your footage.

I want to warn others

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe he committed a crime and recorded it on his own cameras and got himself in trouble, because that could fit the situation.

If the cameras caught an actual crime would the cops need to confiscate your NVR to preserve the video for prosecution? Would be good to know in case they show up to take my Blue iris computer, but my police department just wanted the video exported and provided.
It's highly subjective. Can't elaborate.

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
come on @Matt L. you gotta give us more than that. Unless you are one of those types that posts things on social media like "Well that sucks" or "Worst day of my life!" and nothing more so that all friends plead to find out what happened. My S-I-L does that all the time and it pisses me off!
Kind of. I'm sick

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just because you have a dashcam and cause an accident doesn't mean dashcams are bad.

Sorry for whatever happened @Matt L. Hope the situation improves.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They did take the camera which was stupid. It had no card in it
I hope they didn't take the expensive one. Will probably return it eventually if you keep pressing em saying there was no memory card in it.

Reaction score
Bleachbit
If it works for Hillary's emails....
Oh wait-- they said she "technically" committed a crime, but the DOJ refused to prosecute. Is that white privilege, or just Clinton privilege? YMMV ... LOL

Not sure why he would not provide footage to assist an investigation--- feels like we are getting about 5% of the story on this. The REAL question is -- what can he do to get HIS property back? petition the court somehow? Sue??? Does anyone know?

There was a homeowner in South Dakota who had rented his house out to some people. It became a major crime scene, and a court ordered it sealed. It sat there like that for 2 or 3 years before he got USE of his own property back. The Sheriff's office and the County Courts didn't give a shit that he was facing foreclosure at THEIR hands. It inspired lawmakers to literally change state law to prevent that from happening again.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Understand your frustrations, clearly I can't divulge much. Let's just say you are very warm, and i am meticulous with saving surevilance, I had 6 years on a PC of compressed but not encrypted video. Not fun knowing someone is going thru that with a fine toothed comb. No subpoena, raided (no SWAT), search warrant, quite a circus. Not arrested thankfully.

My son is autistic and very DD, he requires special support. His room, particularly bed was on constant watch. He's a good natured kid most of the time.... Opinions differ widely, suffice it to say on how best handle those other times. That's too much even to say perhaps

My life is in tatters, and its directly jeopardized a friend. I lost kids wife, home, and facing charges. Due to be booked tommorow. Not all cameras fault. But be careful, you do not OWN your footage.

I want to warn others
It sounds like you are in a situation but what you wrote is all too cryptic for me.