NTP not working

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
guys - my cameras are 3 mins ahead of my PC (which has the accurate time) and this occurred i just 4 months. Has anybody got NTP to work? I'm using the default clock.isc.org and can confirm port 123 is open to all cameras. I'd rather use NTP permanently as it's far more accurate than sync to pc and I can set and forget

Thx

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that really necessary though? I have network devices at home and they all point to public ntp servers and work great

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
confirm port 123 is open to all cameras.
Open inbound from the internet?
Not required, and a little risky, when configuring access to an NTP server out on the internet.
In any case, the NTP protocol uses UDP.

Maybe try pool.ntp.org and see if the cameras likes that better.
Or as an experiment use the time server IP address to see if the problem is name resolution (DNS).

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, I'll experiment. I have an enterprise grade firewall - only allow UDP/53 for DNS and UDP/123 for NTP to 1-2 hosts but i'll try pool.ntp.org

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I second the time synch tool above. It’s lightweight and easy to setup. Works great and keeps all your clients on your network for NTP. Pool.ntp.org has been known to have members that were tor exit nodes or serving malware in the past. Do it better, serve you own time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I had windows server 2019 running and configured the in-built NTP server and it's working fine. All cameras in sync now. Appreciate the advice here