NVR Camera Limit

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Hikvision DS 7608NI-I2/8p at the moment and have 8 cameras connected to it. Thinking of getting another one for redundancy. I did want to get one more camera but I read that the number of camera shouldn’t exceed the number of ports on the NVR. All cameras are connected directly to one NVR now but I’m going to move them into a separate switch.
If my second NVR is recording rtsp streams for all 8 cameras, can I still connect one camera into it and get it to record that too?

thanks

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Hikvision DS 7608NI-I2/8p at the moment and have 8 cameras connected to it. Thinking of getting another one for redundancy. I did want to get one more camera but I read that the number of camera shouldn’t exceed the number of ports on the NVR. All cameras are connected directly to one NVR now but I’m going to move them into a separate switch.
If my second NVR is recording rtsp streams for all 8 cameras, can I still connect one camera into it and get it to record that too?

thanks
You need to buy another NVR. That way not only can you add one more camera but 7 more after that.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It never hurts to upgrade and sell the old one. ;)

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the second NVR will also be an 8 channel.

Thanks for clarifying. May have to look at other option to record the extra camera.

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
I am adding a camera. I just don’t think I need a 16 channel NVR hence the reason I’m looking at Unifi. Their cameras record into hdd’s in the controller.

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
esanto1, I've just upgraded my 8 channel DS 7608NI-I2/8p NVR to a 16 channel. I've put another 3 cameras over the lan onto the NVR and am putting a PTZ later next week. I agree with above in regards to upgrading to a 16 channel. Not now but maybe in the future you will want more cameras and and you will have the slots for them if you invest in a 16 channel now.

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have one 8 channel NVR and who purpose of the second one was redundancy - record video streams on both. Not too keen on having one 8ch and the second a 16ch.
Using Unifi cameras for my additional ones mitigates the need for a larger NVR as Unifi stores the video on the controller.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well..... You can always get an IP camera and put a SD card in it. That way is it recording to the camera. You can then access it by logging into the cameras using the IP address or the cloud account that comes with it. Since you have a "I" series Hikvision recorder I would guess that you are using Hikconnect. Just add the extra camera to Hikconnect and can see everything through that. Most Hikvision cameras will support up to 128GB SD card so that is what you can use to store footage in the camera itself.