NVR ds-7608ni-i2/8p firmware upgrade gone wrong.

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did the firmware upgrade on the NVR using 4.1.50 and got to the join the dot part. It would not accept the dots, I powered off then on, now I can't get past the log on. The "admin" line is blanked and when I change the password and set a new one and attempt to use it, it still won't proceed on. Hope this makes sense. I have attempted to log on from a browser using the 192.0.0.**, but that doesn't proceed. I have attempted SADP and can't get past the log in.
Any ideas??

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
More info is SADP shows the default ip of 168.0.0.64 and for the mac address is all ff's. Anybody have any idea.

Colum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Monaco.
I'm in this exact position as of yesterday.
Can't connect a serial to exit the boot so I'm stumped.

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Colum
I tried to revive my NVR yesterday as instucted by alastair in the other thread but it didn't work. He did mention a serial to usb adaptor, so it maybe my next attempt.

Colum

n3wb
Reaction score
Finding the correct pins is where I'm struggling here.
I've done it on two previouse models but nothing yet.

I'll keep you in the loop with how I'm going

Team G4

n3wb
Reaction score
Also stuck in this, have been told by Hikvision to take it back to supplier/installer for a factory default and re install the Australian firmware.

They also mentioned that the latest firmware for your my recorder(NVR ds-7608ni-i2/8p) is V3.4.93 build 180504.
DZ20180420_008 V3.4.93 Build 180504 For -I NVR fix local live view delay issue.zip

i did the format first using "f" and that seemed successful, before doing the upgrade.

i have tried but keep getting this error, the file is 41mb and it stops at 31mb (i'm stumped):
################################ [29.000 MB]
################################ [30.000 MB]
################################ [31.000 MB]
###############################T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T
Retry count exceeded; starting again

I have worked out the pinouts, see attached, based on my cable:
  • White --> TX
  • Red --> RX
  • Black --> GND
Hope someone has better luck.

Regards
Pedro

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
They also mentioned that the latest firmware for your my recorder(NVR ds-7608ni-i2/8p) is V3.4.93 build 180504.
That's quite old firmware - that model has the new 4.x series firmware. DOWNLOAD PORTAL
But I'd be very cautious about installing that.

As to the cause - I'm speculating a bit - wondering if the Hikvision tftp updater has a 32MB filesize limit.
i did the format first using "f" and that seemed successful, before doing the upgrade.
Is this through the serial console dialogue?
If so - try another tftp server, such as this one : TFTPD32 : an opensource IPv6 ready TFTP server/service for windows : TFTP server

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
V4.1.50 build 180227 I have installed and running fine on six nvrs
big problem some would have if coming from V3 TO V4 was to install V4 via the nvr hooked up to a monitor as it uses the new gui after that's done the web gui for further upgrades are fine
most of the new nvrs sold have v 4 installed
I get all my software form the Europe portal don't know why they say Australian software

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
V4.1.50 build 180227 I have installed and running fine on six nvrs
big problem some would have if coming from V3 TO V4 was to install V4 via the nvr hooked up to a monitor as it uses the new gui after that's done the web gui for further upgrades are fine
most of the new nvrs sold have v 4 installed
I get all my software form the Europe portal don't know why they say Australian software
I've contacted my seller, and he said 3.4 is the latest I can get, and I have to contact hikvision Australia whenever I want to get a new one.

Tangcla, did you use the web ui for your upgrade?

If using the monitor, do I get the new firmware in an USB stick? Or some other method?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I've contacted my seller, and he said 3.4 is the latest I can get, and I have to contact hikvision Australia whenever I want to get a new one.

Tangcla, did you use the web ui for your upgrade?

If using the monitor, do I get the new firmware in an USB stick? Or some other method?
Your seller is telling you porky pies
If you own a 7608ni-i2/8p English version that is updatable you can use the Europe portal for your firmware if your on version 3 go to version 4 the first one hook a monitor up if you don’t use a monitor down load the first lowest version 4 and load to a USB plug that into the nvr and do the update on the nvr via USB then when you have the new GUI working you can upgrade to the newer versions via the web GUI

stumpy

n3wb
Reaction score
Wish I had found this forum earlier before I did an update on the web interface. I have a DS-7608NI-I2/8p unit that was working ok. It originally had V3.4.93 build 171118 and is sourced in Australia. I attempted to update the firmware to V4.1.50 180227. This worked ok until the reboot, I now get the corrupted database. I have tried picking all the usernames and either a blank password, or the password i setup the unit with, non work. I have tried to TFTP it but this doesn't work either. I have a usb to serial port adaptor with the drivers installed and working. Do you think if I make the serial interface up to the ZH connector in the NVR I might have a better chance of recovering it? The unit is new and under warranty from a registered re-seller, I just thought i would have a go at sorting it myself if possible rather than sending it off. Or would the password reset request method work through Hikvision? Im happy to stick with the older "approved AU" firmware that Team G4 mentions above. Thanks for your help in advance
sadp.PNG sadp.PNG tftp log.PNG

Attachments

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
I had an exchange with hikvision support (australia). What happened is basically

1. I told them (and they confirmed the products as genuine via Serial #) I had bought ds-7608ni-i2 nvr and 8mp hikvision cameras (ds-2cd2385fwd-i) from an Australian supplier
2. nvr came with firmware version 3.4.93 (latest is 4.1.50 in the hikvision Europe website) and the cams came with 5.5.51. Which seems to be the latest at the European website. However, neither the cam nor the nvr has firmware versions on the Australian website (the cam has, but it is older than 5.5.51).
3. they said they do not recommend upgrading firmware from different regions. also said their devices are region locked, meaning such upgrades can "brick" the devices. They also said the aus website is going to be updated soon (with the latest cam firmware), and that NVR v4 firmware was not yet released in australia
4. I responded with the email below
=====================================================
To: techsupportau <techsupportau@hikvision.com>
Subject: Re: Firmware for nvr and cameras

Hello,

Ok, thank you for the information.

I also wanted to record a formal complaint in relation to the way firmware is managed by hikvision as a corporation. I've worked with IT for almost 20 years now, and I have never seen a more shocking and confusing firmware management (when it comes to release, availability to the different regions, different timing on the different regions, potential to brick the devices for lack of proper software controls and functionality, etc).

This is extremely degrading to hikvision as a company - which is a pity, because hikvision's hardware is second to none. It causes its customers not only to be frustrated and angry, but also to inadvertently brick their devices. Examples of this anger and problems are available in just about every forum where hikvision products are discussed. Example: NVR ds-7608ni-i2/8p firmware upgrade gone wrong.

It is my view that hikvision, as a company, should completely review their whole approach to firmware, regions, versions, distribution, etc. Right now not even the re-sellers / partners understand the approach, which is the only part of this whole matter that is crystal clear for anyone doing some research on this topic.

Regards,
=================================================

5. they said they will forward the complaint to the relevant person

Last edited:

stumpy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Danaussie thanks for the info. From an end user point of view the model number is DS-7600NI-I2/8p it's the same in Europe. Nowhere does it mention this product is region specific or the firmware is regional. If they want to do that, the system should be intelligent enough to know you are trying to install an incompatible version of firmware. You can understand that the customers want the latest revision with all the security fixes and latest bells and whistles, we should be allowed to get the same model number firmware from any region in the world, it's not our fault the AU website isn't updated at the same time as the European portal. I now have a ttl-usb gadget, just need to find the jst connector then i can try the serial method of recovery.