NVR Needed

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I need help deciding on which NVR to purchase. Currently I have 8 cameras all hikvision ds-2cd2032-i, the NVR i have is hikvision nvr7608 ni se/p. I will be using about 5-6 of those cameras on that NVR. Therefore I need to be able to use the other remaining cameras somewhere else. So I need to be able to find an NVR or some device which will be able to record from these cameras correctly and without issues.

what do you guys recommend?

regards
sam

PANAPAT

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking at this NVR, really I couldn't tell you how it performs and you also need to add the drives but the Unit is under $100 so might be worth a try.

Model No.HK-NVR5204FHK-NVR5208FHK-NVR5216D
Main ProcessorHi3520D
Operating SystemEmbedded Linux
System resourceMulti-channel real-time recording synchronously, multi-channel real-time playback, multi-channel multi-user network operation, USB back up.
Operation interface16 bit real color GUI interface support mouse operation
Display screen1/41/4/8/91/4/8/9/16
Video standardPAL(625 lines, 50fps); NTSC(525lines, 60fps)
Image encodeH.264(High Profile)
Monitor qualityMonitor: D1; VGA: High Definition; HDMI: High definition
Playback quality1080P/D1
Encode capability1ch 1080P Realtime
Motion detectionEach channel can set 192(16*12) detection area
Audio compressionG711A
Bidirectional talksupport
Record modemanual>alarm>motion detection>timing
Local playbacksupport 1ch/4ch playback
Video searchTime, date, event, channel search
Space occupationVideo: CIF 4~5G/day*chs, D1 16~20G/day*chs, 960H 12G~20G/day*chs; 720P 20~30G/day*chs; 1080P ~40G/day*chs
audio: 691.2M/day*channel
Video storageLocal HDD, Network
Back up modeNetwork backup, USB portable HDD, USB DVD/RW, SATA DVD/RW
Video input4chs 1080P,4chs D1 for Storage8chs 1080P, 8chs 720P, 16chs D1 for Storage16chs 960H for Storage
Video output1ch BNC, 1ch VGA, 1ch HDMI
Video Loop outN/A
Audio inputN/A
Audio output1ch RCA(200-3000mV, 5KΩ)
Alarm inputN/A
Alarm outputN/A
Network interfaceRJ45 10M/100M self-adaptive Ethernet port
PTZ control1 RS485; support multi kinds of PTZ protocol
USB port2 * USB2.0
HDD port2 SATA port(2*4T)
Power12V/2A
Consumptionless than 5W(not include H.D.D.)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Stay away from no name NVR's like the ones listed above..they are usually junk and will just cause problems. Buy another hikvision NVR...

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm after a midrange NVR, I do like hikvision NVRs but they are a bit pricey, then again the quality and software is great.

it does not need to be Poe but would like to keep my options open.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm after a midrange NVR, I do like hikvision NVRs but they are a bit pricey, then again the quality and software is great.

it does not need to be Poe but would like to keep my options open.
Dont assume that you can use any NVR with your cameras.....onvif is not properly followed by many...the nvr may record but motion detection may not work...
If you run your cameras in 1080p hikvision has some cheaper NVRs...

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont assume that you can use any NVR with your cameras.....onvif is not properly followed by many...the nvr may record but motion detection may not work...
If you run your cameras in 1080p hikvision has some cheaper NVRs...
Thanks for the reply, I understand that from experience. I had the same issue a little while back when I had a hikvision nvr and ONVIF cameras, where motion detection was a hit and mis. So I purchased hikvision cameras and you can't fault them, when I tested them it worked like a dream. Is there any you recommend?

i have heard of some NAS devices being able to record from cameras, don't know how good there will be.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I understand that from experience. I had the same issue a little while back when I had a hikvision nvr and ONVIF cameras, where motion detection was a hit and mis. So I purchased hikvision cameras and you can't fault them, when I tested them it worked like a dream. Is there any you recommend?

i have heard of some NAS devices being able to record from cameras, don't know how good there will be.
Cameras can write to nas..there are limitations of the size of the partition...there are some threads on this..
What cameras are you using and what resolution are you recording at?

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras I have are hikvision ds-2cd2032-i, recording at 3mp.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've come across this its a synology ds115j, it's compatitable with the cameras and includes 2 licences for the cameras. Seems to fit the bill for what I require it for, not a dedicated NVR but seems to be a cost effective solution. Has anybody had experience with these?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've come across this its a synology ds115j, it's compatitable with the cameras and includes 2 licences for the cameras. Seems to fit the bill for what I require it for, not a dedicated NVR but seems to be a cost effective solution. Has anybody had experience with these?
That unit is VERY limited
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS115j#spec
50 FPS @ 720p (1280x800)
20 FPS @ 1080p (1920×1080)
10 FPS @ 3M (2048x1536)
10 FPS @ 5M (2591x1944)
That means if you record two cameras at 3mp, you can only do 5fps for each camera...forget about adding more cameras unless you drop to 1080p..even then very limited. You can get the cameras to write directly to the nas without their software and licenses though...

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How would I be able to write straight to the NAS? If it's by its IP then theoretically any NAS device would suffice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How would I be able to write straight to the NAS? If it's by its IP then theoretically any NAS device would suffice.
Yes, there are some threads on this....but it wont be as straight forward as writing to an NVR...you also cannot use the nas to live monitor as you can an nvr if that is a need you have...

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I only need it to record if it detects motion, live streaming/viewing is not needed. Currently I'm looking at a NAS by d-link, model DNS-320L

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I only need it to record if it detects motion, live streaming/viewing is not needed. Currently I'm looking at a NAS by d-link, model DNS-320L
see this thread http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/54-Solving-some-NFS-issues-on-Hikvision-cameras
I believe there is a 250gb or so max size for the network share...this may be an issue for you...
Consider though that if you are using 4 cams or less, you can get the LTN8704-P4 from lts for about 160...it can do 4ch x3mp at 15fps each...50 dollars more and you avoid issues...

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok sure will say away from synology, the product looked like it would work.

anybody else tried with a d link 320 NAS? Would like to hear your thoughts.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are on a budget, I would still stick with a Hikvision NVR, to get the best from your camera's you could always use a DS-7108n/sn/p cost price delivered for around $115 on AI, then you would have so much more remote access control via IVMS-4200 and IVMS-4500 of the camera's.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are going to be recording 24x7 just use a cheap EyeSurv NVR... $99.99 on Amazon, or $89.99 from Nellys... if you want motion detection, then stick with a HikVision NVR or build a PC and do Blue Iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Whilst searching for a PC build that might serve the purpose of NVR as well as NAS with HTPC I came across this build using an AMD processor.

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/budget-htpc-build-2014-htpc-nas-combo/

Its low power, expandable and the processor outshines the ATOM in almost all respects, and its cheap.

Any thoughts on this?
The proper pc for an NVR depends on the VMS software you intend to run and the number of cameras...
regardless, that self built system is overpriced...you can pickup a dell optiplex micro with a haswell processor that is more powerful than that build (and has similar tdp) from the dell outlet for under 300 when they have a sale.
Even with no sale you can pick them up on ebay cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-Micro-Intel-4th-Gen-Core-i3-4150T-4GB-RAM-500GB-HD-Win-8-1-/231605419111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ecc23c67

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.