NVR not compatible with cams of same brand?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My work has a NVR system i am not familiar with them as i use BlueIris and ip cams.

They bought a swann NVR with 8 swann cameras the older system was a swann with swann cameras as well. Swann list the new NVR as not compatible with the year old cameras is that normal? As i can get ANY ip camera to work with blueiris.

The old cams where HD the new ones are 4k with a NVR that can do 4k.

If you plug in the old cameras to the new NVR they do nothing but how do these cameras work? Says nothing about ip address. They are POE.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
They bought a swann NVR with 8 swann cameras the older system was a swann with swann cameras as well. Swann list the new NVR as not compatible with the year old cameras is that normal
Pretty normal, in my experience, and of those of people posting on the Swann support forum.
Going back a while, Swann created proprietary systems with quite narrow interoperability.
This is now improved, with the cameras and NVRs that are actually OEM models from the likes of Hikvision.

If you check out the Swann compatibility chart here :https://www.swann.com/media/wysiwyg/docs/swann-camera-compatibility.pdf
You can see that some NVRs only support a couple of models of camera.

A few weeks back I bought a faulty Swann NVR4-7082, fixed it up, and found that there was zero support for common standards such as ONVIF and RTSP.
The NVR polled in a specific way for a specific Swann camera over the network.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My work has a NVR system i am not familiar with them as i use BlueIris and ip cams.

They bought a swann NVR with 8 swann cameras the older system was a swann with swann cameras as well. Swann list the new NVR as not compatible with the year old cameras is that normal? As i can get ANY ip camera to work with blueiris.

The old cams where HD the new ones are 4k with a NVR that can do 4k.

If you plug in the old cameras to the new NVR they do nothing but how do these cameras work? Says nothing about ip address. They are POE.
Hi @Tazz 316

This is very common.

Brands like Swann even change their OEMs far more frequently than you may expect, and at times will sell NVRs / IP POE kits as well as DVR / coax kits from various different OEMs at the same time, or have the distribution channel selling those.

For example:
Swann recently had nicer Hikvision OEM NVRs and cameras available this last 1-2 years - and recently clearanced that inventory. They now have a new OEM for their product line.
Q-see - similar, new OEM ( perhaps Hikvision OEM ) for their new line up of cameras - however there still have Q-see Dahua OEM NVR / kits / cameras available in the distribution channel.
Lorex - Both Dahua OEM and another OEM for NVR IP POE kits currently available in their distribution channel

Yes - it does get a bit complex, so you'll want to check the compatibility matrix each brand should be posting on their website.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
fwiw, my neighbor has a Swann 7090-based NVR (Costco version CONVR-163B) and it does list ONVIF protocol in the 'add cam' dialog for manually adding cams.
i'm hoping to add a hikvision cam or two (supporting ONVIF) to that system but have yet to make that work. one of those 'should be do-able' things,
depending on the version of NVR (which OP didn't mention) i guess...

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all that info, I new nothing about Swann didn’t even know there stuff is rebranded.

Like I said this is for work so I’m not to motivated to do anything.