NVR or Cameras causing network issues

Dhil

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the NVR DS-7608NI-2 and I noticed I was having network issues, my main asus router would drop connections.
So from one computer IP to another IP, I performed a continuous ping. Every couple of pings I would get a timeout. At first I thought it was my router, then I decided to disconnect all devices one by one and noticed that I would get a steady ping when the NVR is removed from the network.
I could use wireshark to pin-point the issues, however I thought I would check if anyone else encountered network issues. What could possibly cause this?
I am currently running v3.4.94
all cams are on Static IP
UPnP is disabled.

Many thanks

Dhil

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR is connected to a netgear switch which is connected through another switch which then goes to the Asus router
The NVR is blocked from accessing the web
thanks again for your help

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR is connected to a netgear switch which is connected through another switch which then goes to the Asus router
OK, so no camera/NVR traffic passing through the router.
Scratch that possibility then.

Is it a gigabit network? If so, traffic congestion should not be an issue.
If 100Mbps - depending on how many cameras and their bitrate, you could head into congestion issues.

And bad cabling could transmit enough errors that switches can shun ports as a protection mechanism.

Dhil

n3wb
Reaction score
yes a gig, all switches and router

I do crimp my own cables, i have tested connections by using a cable tester, not sure what else to validate bad cables.

yeah i think i need to run a sniffer to see whats going on.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes a gig, all switches and router

I do crimp my own cables, i have tested connections by using a cable tester, not sure what else to validate bad cables.

yeah i think i need to run a sniffer to see whats going on.
Did you use the 568B standard? Are they copper or copper clad aluminum CCA?

Dhil

n3wb
Reaction score
568b, 100% copper
they are plugged in to the 7608NI, all have been configured to use static IP, all POE

Dhil

n3wb
Reaction score
after further troubleshooting i discovered it was actually the netgear wndr3700v4 router it was connected to, i had configured it to AP mode so i could use it as a switch and 2nd access point. this configuration was actually flooding my network, dont know if its a bug in the firmware, i just decided to remove it and replaced it with an unmanaged 5 port switch. No more network issues!
thanks all!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Good that you got there in the end.
Just for curiosity -
In AP mode did you have the DHCP server disabled? I'm wondering about address conflicts.

Dhil

n3wb
Reaction score
so setting the router in AP mode just makes it an access point with a switch, everything else should be off and was greyed out, that includes dhcp. dhcp should have been coming from my main router. the spare router gave me grief before, i didnt look deep into it but either routing protocols or dhcp must have been enabled, even though it was showing as off.
so i have the same feeling it was probably address conflicts.